SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Don't see any reason to lock it down, unless I've missed something. We can agree or disagree on this board, as long as we don't start calling each other names or making attacks on each other. Sometimes, we actually learn things from others experiences.

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

While Polo may have been a bit over zealous in his attempt to not be too optomistic regarding the exploration of this particular person on a segway, let's not chop his head off just yet...

He makes a point, in that there are some disabilities that would make segway use less than optimal, and some people are not good judges of their own limitations. In those events, some may choose to err on the side of caution, and also not be too optomistic.

I do not happen to agree with him on this topic, but there is a long history of his posts, his positive positions here, and I choose to try to see some positive here...

If a person goes into a segway dealership, looking for a replacement for a wheelchair, they indeed may be met with resistance. One is a medical device, and the other is a consumer device.

Last time I checked, the requirements to be a consumer are pretty broad. Pretty much anyone with the money or the ability to borrow it can buy a segway. Many can ride. I suspect that some can ride but not get the money...

As long as a person is aware of their ability and their limitations, and expresses this reasonably, I cannot see why any dealer would not treat them positively. If a person is looking for a medical device, I cannot see why a dealer would not politely explain the differences...

Using a segway poses certain extra exposure to risk for some people. So does walking down the street. I suspect that this OP is aware if his abilities, and is making an attempt to properly educate themself. To this, I wish him well.

If all else fails, I suspect that a request and a visit to Polo on the west coast, or to me on the east coast, will get mostly anyone a demo on a machine. I also agree that a tour or two is more appropriate than a small or short demo...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
SegWayne
SegWayne will become famous soon enoughSegWayne will become famous soon enough

Location: On Grandparent tour, currently spoiling Grandchild in Texas
5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Don't see any reason to lock it down....
Pam
I agree, no reason.......

yet, but then again we've only started on pg2, let's chat again around pg5 if it makes it that long, given it's start.....

just history, many profess to reading it, some study it, few learn from it.....
Old 01-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN60FOUR View Post
Polo,
If the segway meets my mobility needs i will purchase one and applicable modifications if necessary. If not i will not purchase. That simple. As far as the myriad of reasons you speak of from the ADA,J&J licensing and FDA regulations...please tell me some of those.. as i am fairly well versed in what those places can and can't do,but i don't claim to know all... The constant stream of customers in my view is part of a businesses, sales rep. or owners job. If he or she wants to assume this or that customer is not worth my time...Well that can prove to be a big mistake for a potential sale. In my case i am getting pretty familiar with the seg specs how it works etc., coupled with my engineering background and being very familiar with my balance issues I know pretty much right away what i know i can do and can't or the things that will need working on to be more proficient at. I do not think a longer time will be needed with me no more than it would be needed for a potential customer with his/her balance in tact. But i do walk slower than most!..lol but i still work on that daily. Thank you for your input!
http://www.draft.cc/draft3/DRAFTCHAT...c/Default.aspx

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Cool ..the few and proud

As long as a person is aware of their ability and their limitations, and expresses this reasonably, I cannot see why any dealer would not treat them positively.

'It' has always been an option, at most, not less, welcome7604 nice boots.
Crash
Semper Fi
Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #16
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Welcome aboard, Seven60Four.

Take some time exploring the "extras" on this site. With "User CP" you can add your city/state to your posts which always helps if looking for dealers, group glides, polo matches (couldn't resist), and context if complaining about cold weather if you're living in Hawaii. With time, you'll discover how to go back into past posts, like two, three, and four years ago, just to read for information. The archives are a wonderful source of knowledge. How to travel by air with a Segway and how to avoid face plants each provide multiple excellent threads to explore. When you get a Segway, be sure to post a complete description of your accidents. It keeps us all on our toes. If fact, had I not carefully read previous safety threads, I would have had quite a few more "embarrassments" than I had. The three embarrassments I've had merely highlight three threads I'd ignored.

Again, welcome aboard!