SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
SEVEN60FOUR
SEVEN60FOUR is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Hi all new to site and with questions

Hi all such a wonderful site you have here, glad to be a part of it now! I never thought Segway had this much of a following this is great!! My questions: I have balance issues that started effecting me in my late 20's.I was amazed to find in checking out this site that there were some members with similar limiting mobility issues ,and one pretty much exactly like mine. Mainly will the Segway work for me?
This i had thoughts of.. finding out.. as members suggest on this forum (Good advice i might add they all had and biased too.) All say to take a tour or a good lengthy test ride/instruction not just a 2 minute jaunt..
Some posts also suggested certain Seg models might be better than others in such cases.. i.e. rigid steering post to act as a cane rather than the lean steering type post,a seg that is designed for level terrain commuting,and best of all i have seen so far the segseat!
All the aforementioned in the Gen.1 model i understand?
I am in Florida,and the nearest dealers are @ 2 hours from me.. Any replys or updates to these segway dealers addresses,more suggestions,or answers to my questions are most welcome from any and all! Thank you!
SEVEN60FOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile Community

Welcome to this forum.
You will find that there are many helpful members of this community.

You are correct.
A trial is the best way to find out.
If you update your profile, or posting, so that others can see which city or area you live in, there is a strong chance that there is somebody nearby who will volunteer to give you a test glide.
Most likely the only payment they will ask for, is to return the favour to somebody else, in due course.

You are correct too, that many people with health issues have a preference for the rigidity and support offered by gen-1 machines.
These are no longer available from the Segway factory, but there are many units available from dealers or owners who upgrade.
The price of second hand units is also less than the price of new ones, so that's nice too.

Good Luck
Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default quandry of a purchase

Unfortunately only experience will give you the most accurate idea of segways fit your need. That's why everyone keeps pushing towards tours or dealers.

However, you may find tour operators don't want to take on the liability of having you on their tour (probably not legal due to the ADA). And Segway dealers won't give you the time of day if you bring up the topic of your disability (due to a myriad of reasons involving licensing to J&J and fear of FDA regulation). So getting experience and being open about your disability might be at odds with each other.

One other thing that's working against you is the constant stream of curious customers. It's hard for a dealer to sink time into working for a while with a customer for what is only a potential sale. To often people come in there kicking the tires and ready to walk out over $100 (on what is a $5000 machine....just 2% of the purchase price).

ps - I've always found that bringing a BIG stack of $20's makes you look like a serious buyer! $100's causes you to look that much more serious!! 8^) 8^) 8^)
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN60FOUR View Post
. . . and best of all i have seen so far the segseat!
All the aforementioned in the Gen.1 model i understand?

Hi and welcome! There is an alternative to the Segseat (actually 2) that are shown at:
http://www.segvator.com/Joomla/index...d=17&Itemid=38

Note that only the low seat is recommended for use while moving. I assume it is difficult to get enough weight shift front to back (at least fast enough) on the high seat to start and stop safely, but that is just my guess.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #5
SEVEN60FOUR
SEVEN60FOUR is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default No quandrys for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
Unfortunately only experience will give you the most accurate idea of segways fit your need. That's why everyone keeps pushing towards tours or dealers.

However, you may find tour operators don't want to take on the liability of having you on their tour (probably not legal due to the ADA). And Segway dealers won't give you the time of day if you bring up the topic of your disability (due to a myriad of reasons involving licensing to J&J and fear of FDA regulation). So getting experience and being open about your disability might be at odds with each other.

One other thing that's working against you is the constant stream of curious customers. It's hard for a dealer to sink time into working for a while with a customer for what is only a potential sale. To often people come in there kicking the tires and ready to walk out over $100 (on what is a $5000 machine....just 2% of the purchase price).

ps - I've always found that bringing a BIG stack of $20's makes you look like a serious buyer! $100's causes you to look that much more serious!! 8^) 8^) 8^)
Polo,
If the segway meets my mobility needs i will purchase one and applicable modifications if necessary. If not i will not purchase. That simple. As far as the myriad of reasons you speak of from the ADA,J&J licensing and FDA regulations...please tell me some of those.. as i am fairly well versed in what those places can and can't do,but i don't claim to know all... The constant stream of customers in my view is part of a businesses, sales rep. or owners job. If he or she wants to assume this or that customer is not worth my time...Well that can prove to be a big mistake for a potential sale. In my case i am getting pretty familiar with the seg specs how it works etc., coupled with my engineering background and being very familiar with my balance issues I know pretty much right away what i know i can do and can't or the things that will need working on to be more proficient at. I do not think a longer time will be needed with me no more than it would be needed for a potential customer with his/her balance in tact. But i do walk slower than most!..lol but i still work on that daily. Thank you for your input!
SEVEN60FOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

[QUOTE=polo;161702]
And Segway dealers won't give you the time of day if you bring up the topic of your disability (due to a myriad of reasons involving licensing to J&J and fear of FDA regulation). So getting experience and being open about your disability might be at odds with each other.
QUOTE]

You know Polo I don't know for sure which dealers you are referring to. Before I came to this forum I called dealers from all differeny states asking for information and prices on used units. I found that all the dealers were extremely helpful and actually enjoyed the warm feeling they got with helping a disabled person revitalize their life with the technology. Maybe I was just speaking with the wrong dealers, maybe you have, but either way I have not found one dealer who did anything less than embrace the disabled aspect. In fact it seems to be a favorite part of their job (at least the ones I spoke to)!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
Eric Payne

Quote:
... (a)nd Segway dealers won't give you the time of day if you bring up the topic of your disability (due to a myriad of reasons involving licensing to J&J and fear of FDA regulation). So getting experience and being open about your disability might be at odds with each other.
Wow, that seems harsh - especially when I have seen, with my own eyes, the exact opposite happen.

A local Segway dealership helped me purchase my Gilligan - that individual dealer was impressed at my efforts to get the hot unit I purchased off EBay back to its rightful owner. Gilligan was a stripped down model, and, after an accident, I felt the need to have a handlebar guard installed. The day it came in, I was over at the dealership sitting in the showroom area while Brian installed it.

In the time I was there, three people came walking in. One was a Segger from Southern California, and a member of SC (whose name I've since forgotten; I'm sorry, but it was rather quick). The other two were a father and his adult son; the son had been in a horrendous car accident which left him in rough physical shape, including effecting his balance, cognitive skills and mobility.

Brian asked specific questions of the father; when I left, the son was whizzing throughout both the showroom and the "office area" behind the showroom on an i2... and this was after the father had gotten on the i2 and had a difficult time with it (the father had done the standard "fight" for balance with the Segway... with the resultant wobble).

The son just stepped on to it and was a natural.

I don't know if they purchased one or not, but this particular dealer, at this particular dealership directly addressed the issues of mobility and whether a first or second gen would be best for the adult son.

Brian has since left that dealership, and opened one of his own, Segway of Scottsdale. And, from what I understand, is doing well.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default The Segway is a consumer product

For some it will help make their lives better, for others it will be more trouble than it is worth.

Find a good dealer that care about you and not just selling you a "box" one that will work with you. If you are in the Mid-Atlantic area, come on over to Segway of Annapolis as anyone who wants to try to make a Segway apart of their lives, we try to help them do so.

Dick our owner has spent many hours with customers who are just not sure if it will work for them, trying all kinds of different approaches so someone can use a Segway.

In my working with DRAFT (if you have not checked them out do so www.DRAFT.org) has been great, because training their users is very helpful in understanding the different needs of the different users of the Segway.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
...However, you may find tour operators don't want to take on the liability of having you on their tour (probably not legal due to the ADA). And Segway dealers won't give you the time of day if you bring up the topic of your disability (due to a myriad of reasons involving licensing to J&J and fear of FDA regulation). So getting experience and being open about your disability might be at odds with each other....
Come on Polo, that statement is too broad and virtually false.

I know of NO dealers who won't talk to somebody who has a disability. Since I know about 70 dealers, both in the US or International, I'd say I know a very good sampling of the dealers.

I also know of NO tour operators who won't let someone glide if they can show they are capable. Admittedly I know only a dozen or so tour operators but none of us discriminate due to a non-interfering disability / injury.

Statements like that are not helpful to anybody!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
SegWayne
SegWayne will become famous soon enoughSegWayne will become famous soon enough

Location: On Grandparent tour, currently spoiling Grandchild in Texas
5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
.....Statements like that are not helpful to anybody! Steven
It's not often, but I 100% agree with Steven !!!

Polo, go back to bed, then try getting out on the other side.... if it's up against a wall, then put your back to it, 'cause that's where it'll be between now and when Pam locks down this thread.......