SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Shell
Shell is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway trails- New Zealand

I am taking a 3-week vacation throughout New Zealand. I have decided to rent a Segway from Segways of NZ.

Does anyone know some of the accessible views/trails in NZ that are Segway accessible?

I am an outdoors/nature enthusiast, and I would like to experience as much of the beauty of NZ as possible-- volcanoes, mud flats, caves, penguins, kiwis, goats, sheep, glaciers, etc.

I recently broke my foot, so I am using the Segway to get around.

So, I guess I am asking for a few tips on where I might take my Segway.

If you can give me the names of a few trails, etc that are do-able with a Segway/scooter, that would be fantastic!
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
ian purvis
ian purvis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Shell

let me know what parts of NZ you're visiting. There's a few of us here who might be able to help you out (and maybe get along for a group glide/polo match)

cheers
ian purvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian purvis View Post
Hi Shell

let me know what parts of NZ you're visiting. There's a few of us here who might be able to help you out (and maybe get along for a group glide/polo match)
Nice OPTA...skillfully done! Makes me almost want to come down there!!

ps - Seriously, NZ still is on my list for travel destinations. I hit Oz four or five times back in 2004-2005, and NZ was next on the list. I just ran out of free time.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink For me

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
I just ran out of free time.
I always seem to run out of money before I run out of free time.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
ian purvis
ian purvis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
Nice OPTA...skillfully done! Makes me almost want to come down there!!

ps - Seriously, NZ still is on my list for travel destinations. I hit Oz four or five times back in 2004-2005, and NZ was next on the list. I just ran out of free time.
Reminded me of a funny comment made by a taxi driver in LA a few years ago.

On hearing my accent he told me how he'd visited Australia several years earlier and while there drove across the bridge to New Zealand as well.

Polo I can't believe you couldn't find the time to drive across the Tasman Sea using the bridge ... it's only about 2300kms
ian purvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
SegWayne
SegWayne will become famous soon enoughSegWayne will become famous soon enough

Location: On Grandparent tour, currently spoiling Grandchild in Texas
5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian purvis View Post
.... drove across the bridge to New Zealand as well.
Yeah, amazing the geography wizards out there.... It was mind boggling the number of times during my 30+ years living on outer islands in Hawaii that "lower 48 product reps" told me they had a dealer in Honolulu, so I could just drive and get what I needed.......
Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegWayne View Post
Yeah, amazing the geography wizards out there.... It was mind boggling the number of times during my 30+ years living on outer islands in Hawaii that "lower 48 product reps" told me they had a dealer in Honolulu, so I could just drive and get what I needed.......
When we were bombing Afghanistan I had quite a few people write and ask if I could hear all the detonations. Considering that Dubai is at least 4 hours by plane from Kabul those would have to be some serious detonations for us to have heard them!

I agree, geography isn't most people's strong suits.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I'd guess we're probably pretty geocentric. I was looking at the Weather in Australia yesterday and surprised to see that Perth was across the continent from where I thought it was. I'm always surprised when someone from another country has an idea about the layout of the states in the US.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #9
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
I'd guess we're probably pretty geocentric. I was looking at the Weather in Australia yesterday and surprised to see that Perth was across the continent from where I thought it was. I'm always surprised when someone from another country has an idea about the layout of the states in the US.
Pam
Don't kid yourself. Many people know where the US is situated but many (even those well educated) don't have any idea where the states or key sites are. Of course, there are Americans who don't know this either so I guess that isn't saying much.

All in all the people around the world, as a whole, are very insular. They know what is important to them. All the rest, is just noise.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 AM   #10
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Don't kid yourself. . .
I don't think she is "kidding herself". I have experienced many international people who seem to have a better idea of US geography than most US citizens have of the rest of the world.

I think when people live in a part of the world where travel between countries is commonplace, it encourages them to pay more attention to geography. A recent contestant on a US TV game show struggled out loud to figure out whether Budapest was in France, whether France was a country, and whether they were kidding her about the existence of a country named Hungary.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote