SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:42 AM   #11
ryanj0
ryanj0 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking

I apologize for asking the question! In some aspects I stand corrected and my opinion has changed but for deeper aspects it is apparent that this is not the place to find what I am looking for. I guess I will send several e-mails a day and keep posting at DRAFT chat until the time comes my posts are not deleted or e-mails ignored. Thanks for your help in enlightening me slightly.

Jeremy Ryan
P.S. Research this far has been near fruitless although I did manage to find a few things linking DRAFT to disney pretty much everything was about segs4vets. I'm sorry for bothering you with "pointless" threads and have a great day.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #12
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Careful with "assumptions"

ryanjo,

I think you need to look again at the DRAFT web site. Yes at the moment DRAFT is very involved with returning Vets. At the same time you should look under "Advocacy" on the DRAFT home page.

The reason people can fly with a Segway is because of DRAFT
The reason why the FDOT gave Guidance on the Segway on Transportation is due to DRAFT.
The reason cities such as San Francisco lifted 'Bans" on Segways when used by persons with disabilities is because of DRAFT.
The reason why the Segway can be used as a mobility aid at the San Diego Zoo, Universal-Orlando etal are also because of DRAFT.
The reason that you have even considered the Segway may be due to DRAFT.
and the list could go on.

Now what is DRAFT.
DRAFT, Disability Rights Advocates For Technology, is an all volunteer "Self Advocacy" group. They provide information that can not be found anywhere else regarding the Segway and persons with disabilities.

When I joined DRAFT it cost me nothing yet provided me with the info I needed to become my own advocate. I was never given the impression that they somehow owed me something more than what they presented, self advocacy.

So as far as a name change I don't understand where you are coming from. The site is full of information for all persons with disabilities not just Vets.

Finally it's not a "group of two" as you have implied. First to be accurate DRAFT has three founders and there are many others never seen yet spend time on issues other than Segs4Vets on a daily basis.

If you need more proof of what DRAFT has done for you as of late check the website. I can find more on advocacy for non military than on Vets, but you need to look.

As I understand some of your frustrations your "scatter-gun" approach does not seem to be getting what you desire. I would suggest that you look for some help at the local level.

With that I wish you all the best in you endeavors.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #13
ryanj0

5 yr Member
Talking

Thank you Tarkus I found that information very helpful. You see people that was all I was looking for not as difficult as some made it. I guess the problem is that the information is hard to find not that they are not credible. If you are looking for what I was on the subject you must dig through much information not getting what you're looking for to get to what you want. On a side note (actually two side notes) one DRAFT had nothing to do with my revelation that a Segway might be right for me and to be honest neither did my doctor. I was visiting my aunt in D.C. on crutches. I saw the local tour operation doing their glide and it hit me then. Second this has nothing to do with me getting what I want but yet with me not getting answers. I realize Jerry and the board may be way too busy to give me any answers, however when I post on chat my posts are deleted. Those were a lot less accusing as I hadn't formed an opinion yet just had some thoughts to clear up. So basically they are denying me the answers from not only them but everyone else as well. Unfortunately there are probably many others that have questioned this as well I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just like to give places and people the chance to defend themselves before making judgments and if those chances are denied I make them. But thank you very much Tarkus you answered what was failed to be answered for the most part.

Jeremy Ryan
Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #14
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj0 View Post
I apologize for asking the question! ...
Jeremy,

The problem isn't in asking the question, the problem is in HOW you asked / posed the question. Asking questions is good. Asking questions appropriately is even better.

Just think how much you could have learned if you had asked how DRAFT helps the mobility impaired, rather than entered into an apparent diatribe against DRAFT.

Steven
Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 AM   #15
ryanj0

5 yr Member
Talking

I am sorry about the way I went about it. I guess I was just clouded by the rude treatment I recieved from admins and from Jerry himself and it goes beyond not answering my questions and denying posts but I won't go into that. Either way I am young and sometimes tend to go about things in a different way. And I agree my approach may not have been the best but even if I just asked the direct questions I assume my answers would have been the same. Either way thanks and have a great day.

Jeremy Ryan
Old 12-20-2007, 02:17 AM   #16
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj0 View Post
Thank you Tarkus I found that information very helpful. You see people that was all I was looking for not as difficult as some made it. I guess the problem is that the information is hard to find not that they are not credible. If you are looking for what I was on the subject you must dig through much information not getting what you're looking for to get to what you want. On a side note (actually two side notes) one DRAFT had nothing to do with my revelation that a Segway might be right for me and to be honest neither did my doctor. I was visiting my aunt in D.C. on crutches. I saw the local tour operation doing their glide and it hit me then. Second this has nothing to do with me getting what I want but yet with me not getting answers. I realize Jerry and the board may be way too busy to give me any answers, however when I post on chat my posts are deleted. Those were a lot less accusing as I hadn't formed an opinion yet just had some thoughts to clear up. So basically they are denying me the answers from not only them but everyone else as well. Unfortunately there are probably many others that have questioned this as well I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just like to give places and people the chance to defend themselves before making judgments and if those chances are denied I make them. But thank you very much Tarkus you answered what was failed to be answered for the most part.

Jeremy Ryan
Jeremy,

Thank you for the reply and I'm happy I was of some help.

I do find the part of your post I put in bold a bit disturbing though.

First nobody denied you or anyone else answers, you need to help yourself to the information provided.

Second is it not the premise of this country that one is "innocent until proven guilty" ?
Your comments tell me you see it as just the opposite.

Be Big,
Alan

Old 12-20-2007, 02:26 AM   #17
ryanj0

5 yr Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Jeremy,

Thank you for the reply and I'm happy I was of some help.

I do find the part of your post I put in bold a bit disturbing though.

First nobody denied you or anyone else answers, you need to help yourself to the information provided.

Second is it not the premise of this country that one is "innocent until proven guilty" ?
Your comments tell me you see it as just the opposite.

Be Big,
Alan
In response I must say that the answers were being denied by not allowing me to ask the questions. Someone could have easily pointed me where to look and it would have been settled then and there. From what I found and it may be PARTIALLY my fault due to the fact that I am slightly impatient there was nothing to recently segregate DRAFT from segs4vets and actually quite the contrary. I got some e-mails from members on that forum that were fortunate enough to sneak a peek at my postings in the hour or two before they were deleted and it seemed as though the general concession was that DRAFT used to do a lot of work for all disabled but that recently has just become segs4vets episode 2. That was not from me that was from several chat members at draft chat which I will not mention names because some on this chat would issue attacks no doubt. And second yes it is innocent until proven guilty but if you don't show up for court or answer the questions aren't you likely to be proven guilty on that basis alone? I gave them a chance for trial (e-mails, posts, phone calls) but they didn't answer so now they were believed to be guilty. You don't have to be PROVEN guilty to be proven guilty. Thanks again Tarkus now I think we are getting somewhere.

Jeremy Ryan
Old 12-20-2007, 02:49 AM   #18
Tarkus

Thats a lot of "left hand" apologies only to be turned around again to your beef with DRAFT/Jerry.

Grins & Smile Faces do not hide the underlying feelings.

I have no doubt that you received an email or two just as I have, matter of fact my mail box is full, on this topic. Funny part is that the views are so differing so don't be fooled into thinking that the entire membership of DRAFT see it either way.

I'm sorry but when one makes an apology then continues his diatribe that does not constitute a true apology.

Have a nice night, now I'm out of this.
It's up to you now, help yourself son as life is a long and dusty road.

Alan

PS-I notice that your thread here was also shut down, maybe a consensus?

Last edited by Tarkus; 12-20-2007 at 02:56 AM..
Old 12-20-2007, 02:55 AM   #19
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default my "Mr L" style posting on this topic

itsi wannabe bounces about
spam spewing all around

down the same road he goes
Old 12-20-2007, 03:04 AM   #20
ryanj0

5 yr Member
Talking

Not really a consensus. I will tell you however what did end up happening. My uncle found out about my condition and advised me that although he did not have enough money to get me a Segway or a car (also need one of those to get to work and around) he would donate some electronics that he had in his store! So he ended up giving me a Plasma TV and a home theater system advising me to try to get something from those to buy a Segway and car. So I posted them on craigslist for trade or cash or both. I also went looking for the items I needed in the barter section. I e-mailed this guy to trade the system for one of his junker cars and apparently I reminded him of someone he did business with in the past and I guess it went sour. He called John and John shut me down not at all due to policy but because he believed this guy's word without asking me for an explanation. Either John or this guy contacted draft as well and they one sidedly deleted my post as well along with every subsequent post. This man (he was from Chicago) was very rude. His name was Jim Wang! Either way once again I was falsely accused and unfortunately some people feed into that. But either way it had nothing to do with the reasons stated. John viewed my post several times, I watched him do it in the who's online feature and never shut it down. Then the same day this guy tells me he called the "SC President" as he says it gets shut down. Then my draft post gets shut down for the same reason. Hardly a consensus. But yes I am bitter and I'll admit it I think anyone would be if they were shown the disrespect I have been shown but I must keep going. Third I just wanted to explain my pics. My profie pic is of me and my avatar pic is my dog. I find maybe the best solution for a disabled man is a loving dog! With that I am heading to bed I have work in 6 hours. You all have a good night and I look forward to speaking more with you tomorrow. Thanks and have a great night.

Jeremy Ryan
Closed Thread