SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
timbadabim
timbadabim is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Your wisdom, please.

I'll be getting an i2 in the near future. I will need to step on and off it very carefully, aided by a cane.

So I'm looking for a simple invention: A hook/snap holder thing that would mount on the i2’s column. A device that a cane could easily be snapped into/onto securely. There are all sorts of cane holders that clamp to tables, wheelchairs, or walkers, but I haven’t seen any that could be modified to attach an i2 column.

Don’t want a scabbard, or quiver. Velcro straps or little bungees would work well enough, but that isn’t the quick snap-on/snap-off set-up I am seeking.

I would think this a common need. Any ideas?

Tim Reamer
timbadabim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default Stick one or two of these on...

http://www.nextag.com/Crawford-13201...10/prices-html

There's already a screw hole near the base of the shaft.
You could tap another hole up top, or cross a couple of zip ties to hold it in place.

You'd definitely want two of them to hold your cane in place.

Or you could hang your cane on the handlebar, and hopefully the clamp at the bottom will be strong enough to hold it in place.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink Marine Stores

When looking for interesting clips, clamps and tie downs, I often visit a marine store.
Those boat guys have lots of interesting, tough, and easy to use nick-nacks.
It's probably worth some time to take a look in that style of store.

Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Good News

I know you have been thinking about this for a long time.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonkey View Post
http://www.nextag.com/Crawford-13201...10/prices-html

There's already a screw hole near the base of the shaft.
You could tap another hole up top, or cross a couple of zip ties to hold it in place.

You'd definitely want two of them to hold your cane in place.

Or you could hang your cane on the handlebar, and hopefully the clamp at the bottom will be strong enough to hold it in place.
David --

That would also be my suggested solution, but there are a couple of things to consider;

1) Will anyone ever ride the Segway without the cane mounted?
2) How long is the cane?

Without the cane mounted (perhaps at all times regardless), the clip becomes a potential entanglement and impalement hazard during a crash if mounted toward the rider.

If the cane is short "enough" it might fit on the front of the LSF with a clip, but if it's too long, it's not going to negotiate the bends in the frame.

One other minor issue is that with repeated use, that particular clip is probably going to end up damaging the cane's finish.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I don't usually glide with a stick, but there are all types.

I have a few 'T' handle or 'L' handle types that are harder to hang than the typical hook type.

One thing that is fairly easy, and simple might be a simple 3 inch loop, like maybe a 2 inch section of 3 inch PVC pipe (If you go to home depot, they have unions for 3 inch pipe for less than a buck) that is mounted about 2/3 down the shaft and screwed into the threaded holes in the side of the lean steer frame, at the reinforcement.

Then, when you mount the segway, you just hang the cane over the handlebar, hooked onto it, with the shaft thru the ring. Simple and easy.

It is true, if your cane is longer than the leansteer frame, this may not work, because it will bind on turns...

With this device, you could get some self stick velcro, and just use the fuzzy side on the inside of the pipe to protect the cane's finish.

My first thought was a clip, like a broom holder, but that might damage the finish. I have some alumium ones, and fairly tough, but I also have some metal and wooden ones with black laquer finishes which would scar more easily.

Good luck, take a photo of your finished product...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
David --

That would also be my suggested solution, but there are a couple of things to consider;

1) Will anyone ever ride the Segway without the cane mounted?
2) How long is the cane?

Without the cane mounted (perhaps at all times regardless), the clip becomes a potential entanglement and impalement hazard during a crash if mounted toward the rider.

If the cane is short "enough" it might fit on the front of the LSF with a clip, but if it's too long, it's not going to negotiate the bends in the frame.

One other minor issue is that with repeated use, that particular clip is probably going to end up damaging the cane's finish.

1) that's why I suggested zip ties. No drill, no fill.
2) if the cane is short enough, the crook can hang over the handlebar snugly, while the bottom is clipped into the clamp.
Since the screw hole is on the side (near the base) I'd assume you'd want to mount the second clamp to the side as well.

To protect the finish of the cane, self adhesive furniture felt can be applied to the clamp.

If safety is of a concern with a clamp near the upper part of the leansteer, then another solution is to still use a lower clamp, but get a couple of high power magnets. Glue one to the LSFrame, and another to the cane (or inside the cane). Just don't carry floppy disks in your pocket!

Or just go with magnets top and bottom.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #8
GlennO
GlennO is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Interesting ideas. How about 2 pieces of PVC pipe? You could cut two - 2" lengths and bolt them to the shaft, and then slide your cane down inside.

Glenn
GlennO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:12 AM   #9
Tory
Tory is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default cane holder

I have also been looking for a Segway cane holder. While thinking where to mount the cane a terrible thought came to mind. A cane mounted out front is just another object that could if mounted improperly end up in me in an accident. So far I don't have a solution. Tory
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote