SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
ryanj0
ryanj0 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking Disabled Man In Need Of Help!!

Hello,
My name is Jeremy Ryan and I am a 19 year old from Madison WI. On May 2nd 2007 I was involved in a car crash. The damage was pretty extensive but luckily I made it out alive. By all odds that shouldn’t have happened. The problem was that I suffered extensive back injuries that still to this day make daily life difficult. But that was just the beginning. I lost 3 months of work because I couldn’t get out of bed. Then on September 19th 2007 I was the passenger in yet another crash. This crash was very low impact however due to my pre-existing injuries I was still lucky to make it out alive. I wasn’t as lucky this time though. My ribs collapsed into my lungs and my right leg lost function completely. I can walk on crutches however I can’t go far because the ribs trap air in my lungs. What happens is that if I push it too far I just go into respiratory arrest. This has happened twice now. I also can’t go in a wheelchair because if I do my left leg muscles will deteriorate and neither leg will have any function. This leaves me in a difficult spot. It’s hard to work, and I have had to postpone college because I couldn’t walk around the halls without passing out. A Segway would allow me to have my life back and be mobile again. I have little money. Due to the bills going delinquent because of the crash my credit was messed up and I get denied for everything. I would be willing to do a rent or lease to own. I can show 3 forms of ID to verify I am not a scammer. I m just a regular joe looking for help to get my life back.

Jeremy Ryan

Jeremy Ryan

Last edited by JohnG; 12-17-2007 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Removed contact info
Old 12-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Eric Payne

Jeremy,

It's times like this that I wish I were Bill Gates.

But I'm not, and with my own health issues, our family doesn't have a dime to spare; literally, we've barely got our budget covered for the next 90 days, and any "emergency" to the house/car, etc. could really screw us up.

I'd suggest trying a couple of things:

1. Contact Segway, Inc., themselves. Explain your situation. There may be something they could do - if, for nothing else, good publicity.

2. Contact your local media - especially since it's the holiday season. This is going to sound jaded, I know, but every media outlet, during this time of year, is looking for the "tough-luck" stories out there, to appeal to their viewer's good side and help make wishes a reality.

3. Do you have a local dealer? Perhaps a local dealer and a local charity could think of some sort of fund-raiser? Or your church, if you belong to one?

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head, and I wish you great good luck. I know what a change Gilligan has made in my life, and wish the same for you.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
ryanj0

5 yr Member
Talking Thank You

Thank you Eric Payne for the suggestions. Any suggestions help and anyone who knows me knows that I will not stop until I have exhausted every avenue. I followed your advice and here's what happened:
1. Inc. told me to call my local dealership!
2. The media said that they get too many similar request to play this one (same response from 15 different media outlets contacted).
3. The local dealer said he could not afford it so I e-mailed every dealer, segway chat seller, and craigslist seller I could find (total of 143 e-mails). I will see what becomes of that.
Thank you for your help and for all who have helped me in this (ksagal, wwhopper, and Eric Payne). If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to post them or contact me. Thanks and have a great day everyone.

Jeremy Ryan

P.S. I am also considering, if you know of anyone who may be open to it, having a contract drawn up with my car accident lawyer so that whomever helps me gets paid out of my settlement before I do (it would be like a pre-settlement loan but they would be loaning me a Segway). By the wy I have applied and been denied from 12 different pre settlement loan companies. They like at least six months before considering. The only problem is that a settlement is a year or two away.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
Eric Payne

I telephoned Madison Police Department Central District, 211 S. Carroll St. Madison, WI 53709, (608) 261-9694 and spoke with Linda, who searched the records and found two references to a "Jeremy Ryan" in the previous year; both references were for an 18- to 19-year old, but neither actually lived in Madison.

There was mention of an automobile accident in May, on the same date given, but the accident, according to Linda with the Madison PD, was "so minor, we just have it as an 'accident occurred.' There was no need to issue a report."

There was no mention of a Jeremy Ryan being involved in a September, 2007, automobile accident in Madison, WI.

I've attempted on several occasions to contact the cell phone number given, but left no messages, as each and every call has been answered by an automaton: "We are forwarding your message to the appropriate party," followed by 30 seconds of hip-hop, followed by Ryan requesting a voicemail message be left, so that he may return the call.

So, have gotten, officially, a "kinda sort of" verification of one of Jeremy Ryan's claims, as he states the second auto accident, in which he was a passenger, was minor, but exacerbated his pre-existing condition.+

OOOPS... MISREAD ORIGINAL POSTING WHEN PROVIDING THIS INFORMATION. MADISON POLICE SAY THE MAY, 2007, ACCIDENT WAS SO MINOR, NO REPORT WAS ISSUED; JEREMY CLAIMS THIS WAS ACCIDENT WAS MAJOR AND SHOULD HAVE KILLED HIM.

So... if he was a passenger, why shouldn't the insurance company of whichever driver was found to be at fault be the responsible for providing him with a suitable mobility device?

Last edited by Outside2; 12-06-2007 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Added new, emphasized, paragraph

Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj0 View Post
Hello,
My name is Jeremy Ryan and I am a 19 year old from Madison WI. On May 2nd 2007 I was involved in a car crash. The damage was pretty extensive but luckily I made it out alive....
Jeremy, according to the Madison, WI, police department, you live in Verona, WI, a suburb of Madison. The accident you cite, on May 2, was so slight that no accident report was even issued; the police merely came to scene and noted an accident occured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj0 View Post
...(t)hen on September 19th 2007 I was the passenger in yet another crash...
There's no record of another accident, with either Madison or Verona Police Departments, Jeremy, but what there is a record of is this:

August 30th, 2007 - Traffic Arrest; you were passenger in car when pulled over, the female driving the car was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

Sept 29th, 2007 - A noise complaint was filed against you; police made contact and asked you to turn the noise down.

Halloween night, 2007 - Police contacted you, as you were named by a female for placing harassing phone calls to her. As the police put it, you were a "suspect in a series of annoying phone calls."

Old 12-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
ryanj0

5 yr Member
Talking Response

It is true that my address of residence wasn't in Madison at the time of the accidents. What is not true is that the accident was minor. The first accident seemed minor to the police because both of us were able to walk and seemed steady at the time. What was not factored into their decision was what would become later on. You see it wasn't until later that I realized how lucky I was. I was hit from the driver's side in the first one at about 55 mph impact. Luckily it was in the rear. The rear caved in but the car still drove (albeit not safely). It was not minor. The police officer who reported it ended up getting a disciplinary strike for inaccurate reporting. That first accident was my fault therefore I did not obtain a lawyer. Who are you or the police to say it was minor. You don't know me and the police have no idea what happened afterwards. If it was just an accident occured why was I issued a ticket? I was not the driver of the accident in September but it was minor. Maybe before trying to discredit me you should talk to me first. The driver's name was Andres Caceres so if you want to call Linda back again she can inform you that my name is in that report. You two seem to be pretty close given as you trust her word enough to post something like you did. I could have anyone serious about helping me out speak to my lawyer to confirm my disability. He works for Hupy and Abraham a very well known law firm in Milwaukee and Madison. You can google them if you want. Now as far as your claims that you trie conacting me that may be true. Due to the accidents and me losing work my bills went into collections. I DO NOT PICK UP CALLS I DON'T KNOW. Typically it's a collection agent who harasses me fo a half hour and it isn't worth my time. If you left a message I would call you back assuming you weren't a creditor. I have music when you call just because I enjoy it and yes it is hip hop because that is what I enjoy. I'm hoping people don't judge on that as that would be ignorant. And last but not least Eric, the suit is in litigation. That takes time. I apologize insurance companies don't pay what they should but that really isn't my fault. Andres's insurance policy only had a $1000 med pay limit which went to my first hospital visit. My bad man. I thank people for trying to help but please contact me before trying to discredit or humiliate me on this forum. For me to live the way I am is difficult enough I don't need you adding insult to the injury. Thanks and have a great day.

Jeremy Ryan
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
ryanj0

5 yr Member

August 30- a female stole my car. I was not in the car and if you contact the Verona Police and they actually read the report they came to my house and talked to me.

September 29- A noise complaint was filed against me but no charges were released. My bad, I guess I'm a cold hard criminal now!

Halloween Night- Nothing happened on Halloween night I don't know where that is coming from. Ask for a report please do!

And the address thing. I told you I was evicted from my apartment due to the September 19th accident leaving me out of work. I then moved to Madison. I never claimed to live in Madison during the accident just now and I'm sorry the police haven't been here since I moved. Send me a letter at the Verona Address you will get a forward message back giving my Madison address. Thanks.

Jeremy Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
Jeremy, according to the Madison, WI, police department, you live in Verona, WI, a suburb of Madison. The accident you cite, on May 2, was so slight that no accident report was even issued; the police merely came to scene and noted an accident occured.

There's no record of another accident, with either Madison or Verona Police Departments, Jeremy, but what there is a record of is this:

August 30th, 2007 - Traffic Arrest; you were passenger in car when pulled over, the female driving the car was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

Sept 29th, 2007 - A noise complaint was filed against you; police made contact and asked you to turn the noise down.

Halloween night, 2007 - Police contacted you, as you were named by a female for placing harassing phone calls to her. As the police put it, you were a "suspect in a series of annoying phone calls."
Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Eric Payne

Jeremy,

If you are legit, you're asking for quite a bit from anyone... even those of us who bend over backwards to be compassionate toward strangers only to find ourselves on "the receiving end" (if you catch my drift)... but know ourselves well enough to know the next needy case that comes along, we're going to react in the same way.

Unfortunately for you, it's up to you to prove you're legit. More than one poster has stated IF TRUE, they feel for you, and would like to help, but it's that "if true" that only you can verify... or at least provide locations/names of the two automobile accidents.

It doesn't help your case for you to say an accident that happened "you were lucky to walk away from," when the police state the accident was so minor, no report was even issued. "Lucky to walk away from" evokes images of twisted metal and shattered glass... it's highly doubtful the police would define that carnage as something "so minor, a report didn't need issued."

It also doesn't help that since the date of that accident, you've been "in trouble" with the law, there in Verona, on three separate occasions. True, only twice were they "coming down" on you, but, again, you're dealing with the pictures such activity paints in the minds of the people you're asking for help. If you're in such shape, why were you hosting a party in September that got so loud? And why did you pick on some woman, via the telephone, all night on Halloween?

As I said: if you want your plea to be considered serious, you're going to have to pony up some verifications, or a way to get some verifications. I had, actually, been talking with someone semi-associated with a charitable organization that does donate Segways to a specific disabled group to see if there were other ways... but, again, verification rears its ugly head.

The ball's in your court.

Last edited by Outside2; 12-06-2007 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: misspelled "feel" as "fell" which completely changed meaning of sentence.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
ryanj0

5 yr Member
Talking

Here's the best I can do! The first accident was reported by Fitchburg Police! It was close to the corner of Fish Hatchery Road and Greenway cross. It was pulling out of a gas station on a busy road (Fish Hatchery). My insurance was USAA claim number 21167530. The damage to the car is as follows:
Frame Bent: can provide if needed a repair shop to verify this!
Rear drivers side caved in (quarter panel, wheel, etc.)!
Rear window smashed!
I provided you verification for the second accident. I don't doubt the noise complaint however, everything else is false. You might want to check the reports because I didn't call anyone on Halloween and the police certainly never called me. The arrest was because my fiance and I decided to take in a convicted felon, to give her a second chance, because everyone needs one. I was not the best in my past and I'll be the first to admit. She took the keys to my car and I reported it stolen. I was at my apartment this whole time. She returned in the back of a cop car asking for bail. We did not bail her out or let her back but I did drop the charges as she was being arrested for warrants and already on parole. I'm sorry but please whatever verification you need ask me in person and I will be more than cooperative. I'm just asking for a new lease on life, is that too much to ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post

Old 12-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
Eric Payne

Default Jeremy Ryan - As Per Client Co-ordinator At Huby & Abraham

Mr. Ryan,

I had made some calls concerning getting you a Segway.

Thank you for providing your attorney's name. Using dexonline.com I contacted your attorney's office, and spoke with Kathy Montero, the client co-ordinator. She pulled your file.

I read her your posting, your ORIGINAL posting. Then I asked her: "All I'm concerned with is whether the injuries are legitimate; I don't care how he got them."

Her response:

"I'm unaware of those injuries. He's told us he uses a wheelchair he borrowed from a friend and still sees a psychiatrist about the accident, but he didn't qualify for a client loan from us." A client loan is, essentially, a forwarding of a portion of the settlement the law firm expects to receive.

Again, thank you for providing a means of verifying the authenticity of your statements.

Closed Thread