SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #21
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Certainly not as "in your face" as you had suggested.

In the context of this thread and her use of the phrase, " . . . up and down every aisle in Barnes and Noble in the largest mall in Portland, Oregon", lead me to believe it was a more passive aggressive style.

After all, if you're in a bookstore looking for a specific book, there's hardly ever a reason to go "up and down every aisle". If I was working a bookstore and saw someone on a Segway doing that, I'm pretty certain I'd think they were trying to do something other than looking for a specific book.

Perhaps she can clarify for us.
Your points are well presented, but everyone shops differently. I have been known to walk up and down every isle in a Home Depot and not buy a thing. I have been known to walk up and down every isle and in every room of an electronics shop called 'You-do-it-Electronics' and not buy anything. (But I often get ideas I later buy online). And last but not least, I have been known to walk the isles at book stores and not necessarily buy a book.

Now, I have said it, and I do mean it. However, I am a hopless crap buyer and pac rat, so I more often walk the isles, and buy stuff I was not looking for, or not really needed items. Still, I often times do browse.

My earlier post of what could be done to choose to not give a store money when they do not share your sense of values is still important to me, but does not necessarily apply to every time I do not buy something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #22
Nelda
Nelda is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I shall not reply to this again. I was simply stating we had no problem.
As far as going all over the store----we were following the woman trying to help us and it turns out the book was out of stock.
For crying out loud, mellow the heck out.

Nelda
Nelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #23
ryanj0
ryanj0 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking

From a frugal consumer standpoint I must say Barnes and Noble is probably the most expensive store in the books. I don't really understand why people are buying from them in the first place although their bargain corner is nice if you are not looking for anything in particular. The corporate executives unfortunately probably don't care about a small (well to them it's small) group of people angry and frustrated. Many Americans have alliances for book purchasing with Barnes and Noble. They no they will not go out of business over this so any protests would be fruitless for policy reasons. A better idea would be to find disabled people that need to use a Segway in areas where there is a Barnes and Noble store and ask them to test out this policy. Once rejected get the local media involved. That will target the local attention and maybe specific store managers can start allowing such a thing. The corporate big wigs won't care. Once a business gets so big they completely stop caring about the little guy. Anything you say to them does not matter. That is a problem but one that unfortunately will not be fixed. The fact of the matter is that if you started up a nationwide boycott of let's say tens of thousands of people that normally shop there and the profits and stocks went down then they would care. But over any less than that they won't/ It's sad but it's true.

Jeremy Ryan
ryanj0 is offline   Reply With Quote