SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
stedler
stedler is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Cool Interesting Article regarding Segway's and People With Disabilities

My Doctor gave me an article on a study that was done recently about the Segway as an Alternative Mobility Device for people with disabilities. I asked him a little bit ago for a script that says I need my segway to get around.

At first he said, "For insurance reasons, I can't do that, just use the prescription I gave you for a power chair." So I brought my Segway into his office to show it to him and show him how easy it is to ride. Before I could say anything to him, he said he had just gotten his Nov. Issue of, "the American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation" and it had an article about the Segway in it.

The article, Titled, "The Segway Personal TRansporter as an Alternative Mobility Device for People With Disabilities: A Pilot Study" concluded:

"This preliminary study has shown that the Segway is a useful device for populations with a range of functional disabilities. Our results indicate that using a Segway may increase personal mobility for some people with functional liimitations. This would enable themto become more involved in meaningful activites, and therefore it has the potential to increase one's self-esteem and quality of life. Through continued research, the potential of the Segway to be a viable mobility option for people with disabilities may become a reality."

He made a copy of the article for me and I scanned this article and have it on the computer in digital format (adobe PDF file) for anybody who wants a copy for themselves I can email it to them.

Just P.M. me with your e-mail address and I will send it through the digital ether.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedler View Post
My Doctor gave me an article on a study that was done recently about the Segway as an Alternative Mobility Device for people with disabilities. I asked him a little bit ago for a script that says I need my segway to get around.

At first he said, "For insurance reasons, I can't do that, just use the prescription I gave you for a power chair." So I brought my Segway into his office to show it to him and show him how easy it is to ride. Before I could say anything to him, he said he had just gotten his Nov. Issue of, "the American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation" and it had an article about the Segway in it.

The article, Titled, "The Segway Personal TRansporter as an Alternative Mobility Device for People With Disabilities: A Pilot Study" concluded:

"This preliminary study has shown that the Segway is a useful device for populations with a range of functional disabilities. Our results indicate that using a Segway may increase personal mobility for some people with functional liimitations. This would enable themto become more involved in meaningful activites, and therefore it has the potential to increase one's self-esteem and quality of life. Through continued research, the potential of the Segway to be a viable mobility option for people with disabilities may become a reality."

He made a copy of the article for me and I scanned this article and have it on the computer in digital format (adobe PDF file) for anybody who wants a copy for themselves I can email it to them.

Just P.M. me with your e-mail address and I will send it through the digital ether.

This is interesting. Maybe if you have a mom and pop type of insurance (under 250,000 members total) such as the one I work for they may consider an exception to coverage with a documented article such as this. All depends on how they are approached. I would suggest someone with a smaller insurance give it a try I know my company would at least consider a grievance request if attached with this article. Unfortunately I am working on a temp basis so I don't have insurance from my company. Give it a try after all a grievance is just a letter takes 5-10 minutes!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedler View Post

Did anyone else here a frustrated scream of "NOOOOOOO" from the northeast of the country? Hmmm....and I thought all the politicians had left NH already (and ones in the back of the back had already uttered their scream of defeat)?
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default What you heard was....

sounds coming from J&J headquarters in New Jersey, calling their lawyers in New York.

This should be interesting.

Today we had two guys in the shop one was disabled and one was a rough and tumble security guy - had them both out on a test glide, and they were having the time of their lives.

The Segway put both of them on equal footing.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
Wheelin
Wheelin is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Please send me the file from your Doctor on Segway and disabilities. Thanks [email protected]
Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Post Thanks Max

These guys did it right. That is a great Pilot Study with a possible f/u replacement viability.
The conclusion~
...it has the potential to increase one's self-esteem and quality of life.

Well lets turn up the potentiometer.
Crash
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
rocker24
rocker24 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Can i have a copy of this article please email to [email protected]

thanks
have a good day
rocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
RichnBama
RichnBama is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I would love a copy of the article. My email address is [email protected]. Thank you!
RichnBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
MzSegwayofHawaii
MzSegwayofHawaii is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

if you can i'd like a copy as well of the file you can send it to:

[email protected]

In a world FULL of cheerios, be a fruit loop!
Save gas, ride a Segway!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MzSegwayofHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote