SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Cube128
Cube128 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Hd Dvd :(

Looks like I made the wrong move investing in HD DVD, I think they're about ready to call it a day, what with Best Buy, Netflix, and now Wal Mart going exclusively blue. Anybody have thoughts on the situation?

... oh, and anybody looking for an Xbox 360 HD DVD player with 17 movies included, 'cause I've got one for sale .
Cube128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Writing was on the wall when PS3 arrived and was the absolute least expensive Blu-ray player you could buy AND came with a free video game console.

Just took people awhile to figure it out.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

No good asking me, I bought Betamax.........................

Er, does that show my age?

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Betamax was, in fact, superior to VHS in every way except one; player price.

Sony learned its lesson. PS3 = cheap Blu-ray players = deeper market penetration = win.

And this, my friends, is the death knell of HD DVD.

Last edited by quade; 02-15-2008 at 03:24 PM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
JaredHT
JaredHT will become famous soon enoughJaredHT will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
No good asking me, I bought Betamax.........................

Er, does that show my age?
Depends on when you bought it. Personally,I think if you bought it in the last 12 months, ya got screwed, LOL

Ya know, I don't have an educated opinion about the formats. We got a 1080p over the Holiday season, so I figured I needed hi-def to go with it. I couldn't find anything of substance to say which was better quality...but the consensus of what I read said that blu would win the war (interesting I could find everyone saying blu would win, but couldn't find the info on movie quality to back it up).

Anyway, I went with a Samsung blu...and aside from the mind-numbing firmware updates, it's absolutely incredible. The only downside is that with some of the movies...between the time I put the disk in, and it actually loads, I've got to shave again! But this seems to be improving with the updates.

It's a shame that the early HD-DVD'rs are out their $$, but i'm sure within the year the cost of conversion to blu will be down dramatically, due to increased sales resulting from the end of the format war.
(614) 299.1100

Call Today For Your Best Deal!
JaredHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Alas, I received a hd-dvd player attachment for my 360 for x-mas and absolutely love it. And of course, hd-dvd is getting killed. No matter, there are talks of a blu-ray attachment for the 360 anyway. This little hiccup only assures that in order for Microsoft to remain competitive, they must make a blu ray set up for the 360. Plus, I still love my hd-dvd player. And my growing decent toward Sony only serves to fuel my favoritism toward hd-dvd which can and will make a resurgence
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
... And my growing decent toward Sony only serves to fuel my favoritism toward hd-dvd which can and will make a resurgence
-segsurfer
As I stroll down the aisles of the local "box" store, I am enthralled by the dozens of "resurgent" BetaMax machines...... NOT!

And BetaMax was demonstrably a better format than VHS.

I feel for you, SegSurfer, but I think you'd best be watching for a "Blu" player attachment for your 360 -- you're gonna need it!
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote