SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Eric Payne

Default Break Taking

Outside of messages that have to do with the drive to, hopefully, get Jeremy mobile again, I will not be making posts for, probably, the next month.

On the 28th, I'm having surgery to have a cardiac internal defibrilator inserted into my heart; recover time for that surgery is anywhere from 24 hours to a couple of weeks. And since no dealer can tell me the frequency of the RF interference put out by the lithiums, I might not even be able to ride Gilligan when it's done. That's one reason, but there are others.

I've been told by a couple of people they've sent me PMs through SegChat, and I haven't gotten them. I've sent some PMs of my own to people, and they haven't gotten them. Plus, certain topics are now simply off-limits. As are some people - even talking about those people... it's almost as if the people connected with SegwayChat who have the power to disappear want to believe their power to make people disappear also erases them from the entire space/time continuum.

Anyway, if I'm not banned, I'll be back in about a month.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I will be joining you on this break.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Unhappy Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
Outside of messages that have to do with the drive to, hopefully, get Jeremy mobile again, I will not be making posts for, probably, the next month.

On the 28th, I'm having surgery to have a cardiac internal defibrilator inserted into my heart; recover time for that surgery is anywhere from 24 hours to a couple of weeks. And since no dealer can tell me the frequency of the RF interference put out by the lithiums, I might not even be able to ride Gilligan when it's done. That's one reason, but there are others.

I've been told by a couple of people they've sent me PMs through SegChat, and I haven't gotten them. I've sent some PMs of my own to people, and they haven't gotten them. Plus, certain topics are now simply off-limits. As are some people - even talking about those people... it's almost as if the people connected with SegwayChat who have the power to disappear want to believe their power to make people disappear also erases them from the entire space/time continuum.

Anyway, if I'm not banned, I'll be back in about a month.
Eric, Other people with pacemakers use segs with no problems,
I do NOT think the segway emits really any major RF.

As far as messaging etc go, I understand your concern, and share some of them as well
I think there is a group of Segchatters who are upset at the current problems
happening in front and behind the curtains.

Understand that the people who run this site, do it for love
not for money, and we are guests in there house.
They want us all to enjoy ourself, but they also need to keep a orderly place
and sometimes (myself included on MANY occasions) get "out of line"
I am optimistic in time, tempers will cool and we will get to being a community
again

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something right™

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I think there is a group of Segchatters who are upset at the current problems
happening in front and behind the curtains.

Understand that the people who run this site, do it for love
not for money, and we are guests in there house.
Agreed and respected BUT when they extend an invitation to enter their house is it not reasonable to expect some transparency in their decision making or thought processes? It is the deletions/silences/etc that generate speculation and conspiracy theories.

Shame.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
... And since no dealer can tell me the frequency of the RF interference put out by the lithiums, I might not even be able to ride Gilligan when it's done.
Eric, I don't really think your lithiums are putting out interference. I've looked back over the thread where you discussed the problems you were having with your Bluetooth earphones and your Tilt, and from what I've read, I have a couple of suspicions. I don't have a Gen 1 (or a Gen 2) machine, so I can't test my theories, but here's what I think.

First of all, remember that your Tilt has two RF transmitters in it. One of them is in constant communication with the nearest cell site for your carrier (presumably at&t). That transmitter will vary it's output power based on the strength of the signal received FROM the cell site. Depending on your location, that may be weak, causing your phone to transmit at its maximum power. Since the Blinky interference only occurs when your phone is in the bag, this is likely why Bliinky goes nuts. Remember, the phone goes to max power when it cannot receive a good signal from the cell site, so it may be possible that when you get on there is some small interference to the received signal, particularly if you are in a fringe area. You may want to monitor your phone's received signal indicator to see that. Watch for changes as you start up.

The other transmitter is for Bluetooth. First, that may be suffering for power if the phone's transmitter is full on, as the phone will always have priority for battery power. Secondly, your Bluetooth earbuds may have a weak receiver or be a little off frequency, either of which would make them more susceptable to dropouts. Also, they may be "shadowed" by the control shaft/ handlebars with the phone in it's problematic location.. If you have the opportunity, try using a different Bluetooth headset, to try to eliminate those possibilities.

In any event, I doubt that Gilligan is going to be a problem with your pacemaker. The two frequency ranges where you have active transmitters in your phone (as opposed to what the FCC would call your Segway, an incidental radiator) are the ones that have been the most protected by implant manufacturers: the cell-phone bands (850-960 MHz & 1.7-1.9 GHz) and microwave ovens. Yep, most microwave ovens are at 2.45 GHz which is right in the middle of the same band as your Bluetooth ( 2.402 GHz - 2.480 GHz). Seems like most people have a cell-phone & a microwave. Go figure!

Of course, I can't say for sure without test equipment. However, you could make a visit to a local radio shop who services public-safety radios. They would have the equipment to see if Gilligan IS emitting any RF and at what frequency. If you explained your situation, I suspect they would not charge you for their time. Another possibility, that would take some chasing down, is the local technical support of your cell company. They would also have the same type of equipment, used for finding interference. But it is hard to contact them - they are isolated behind a vigorous sales force and a defiant phone system that does its best to prevent you from ever speaking to a human being.

Hopefully, this has given you some insight into your problem, and some avenues to explore in its resolution.
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default lithium and pacemakers.

it woild also be my guess that the segway passed the emf tests of the fcc and also I believe everything involved meets ce requirements and directives which are tougher than us requirements

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Eric, First I hope all goes well on the 28th and wish you a speedy recovery.
Second, you say you've contacted dealers, but have you spoken to or written to the Mothership. I have to agree with other posts, I find it very hard to believe your going to experiance any problems. Maybe there are other SC members who've had the same op that can reassure you.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

While I'm not qualified to answer Eric's question, I have used a frequency counter near my Segway, and couldn't come up with enough signal to lock on to anything. I would hope that there wouldn't be an issue, but some times strange things can happen.

In any case, hang in there Eric, I know that there are lots of people here that will be thinking of you, and your posts will certainly be missed if you aren't posting as much. We do understand that health is more important than a chat forum, but you have become a part of our little "family" here. As such, we are all concerned for your health and well being. I know that you will be on my mind as you go through this.

Keep a positive thought
Jim