SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
wgsketch
wgsketch is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Good Morning

Good morning,
Thank you for accepting my application to your chat room on Segway chat website. I have had a
Segway since fall of 2006. I took delivery of the first I2 model sold in Tucson. I really love the machine, I think it's one of the best things that has come down the line in a long time. I will be 80 years old next Christmas, and it really helps me get around. I have trouble walking for any distance and this Segway really helps. I live in a gated community here in Tucson, Arizona. So I don't have to worry too much about traffic or any of the other stuff that goes with a lot of cars and people. I am having a problem right now for the first time in two years with the security people at this complex. The security chief says I am not allowed on the sidewalk, but Arizona law says I am. Who to believe, I don't know. However, I will continue to use my Segway until they drag me off to jail. Really. It's a great piece of equipment, and I enjoy it very much. Even with this obstacle. Thanks again.
Walter
wgsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Aignera
Aignera is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default RE: AZ Law

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/bystate/az.html

Hope this Helps . .
Permitted on Roads? . . Yes, if no sidewalks avail.

I'm curious how your Batteries are taking the Heat ?
I Haven't bought a Segway yet , Not sure the batteries will last through the summer heat here in Phoenix .
Aignera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink Politeness pays

Some people in uniform seem to display unusual behaviour.

I suggest that you enquire as politely as possible, which rules or laws he thinks that you are violating ?
Smile and ask for a written response ( this usually encourages deeper thought ).

With his 'objections' in hand, you can then properly address his concerns.
People here will assist you.

Good Luck

Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
NotQuiteCode3
NotQuiteCode3 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Stick to your guns, Walter!

Walter, this is an issue about the quality of your life. I agree with the other posters. Sometimes people don't understand how it's possible to be in control of such a contraption as a Segway, and they don't want to deal with it. It takes some educating.

Hang in there! Your ability to get around is worth the effort.

Good luck!

Lynn
NotQuiteCode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
wgsketch

5 yr Member
Default Batteries

Good morning thanks for your reply to my opening message. I am still using the original batteries in my Segway and as yet have had no problems with the heat here in Tucson. I know it is slightly hotter in Phoenix and here, but it should pose no problem.
Walter
Old 05-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
wgsketch

5 yr Member
Default State laws and regulations for Arizona

By carrying a copy of the revised statutes of the laws of Arizona for the use of a Segway with me at all times I am ready for any conflict with a peace officer who doesn't know what the laws are.
Hopefully this will avoid any conflict with the powers to be. But the last time I was stopped by a security guard. She refused to even look at these. Saying those laws do not apply here. (I couldn't believe it) This is what I'm up against I will keep you posted as to any further occurrences in this soap opera.
Walter
Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
pspearing
pspearing is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default I'm no lawyer, but...

I have worked in security, and I think the question of whose rules apply comes down to whose street/sidewalk it is. If it's a city sidewalk and street then state & local laws should apply. If the streets and sidewalks are owned & maintained by the complex they can probably make any rules they want.
As I say, I'm not a lawyer and I don't live where you do, so my opinion is just an opinion with no actual value. I would suggest you consult a lawyer familiar with landlord/tenant issues.

Good luck!

Last edited by pspearing; 05-20-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
pspearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think you might want to speak to the manager oif the apartment complex. They are most assuredly subject to the ADA since they are operating a public facility in the highly regulated housing environment. The stance of the rent-a-cop is ignorant but be careful of ignorant people with a little power.

Be polite, offer management a demo, and point out the Segway is your wheelchair. If all else fails, contact your local newspaper to "inspire" a human interest story on how the Segway has contributed to your life. (And don't even mention the officious rent-a-cop.) Do the PR Lounge act: visit with your city council, mayor, police chief, senior center, and sheriff and while you're at it, put in a plug for Segs4Vets.

Welcome aboard!