SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Another German kickstand option

I saw this on another forum and though it worth sharing here

"SEGsuperstand is the state of the art kickstand made in Germany for SEGWAY. Full stainless steel/aluminium constrution. The single one with "automatic folding in feature" worldwide. Easy to mount, super to use. Once you got it, never you accept missing it.

See details www.segsuperstand.de or www.segsuperstand.com "

I've not long spoken to the guy in Germany who invented and is manufacturing these. He is producing a version for both the the i2 and the x2. He went to great lengths to detail the quality of the work and materials, sourcing some components from the top-end automotive industry suppliers as well as complying with legislation regarding kickstands on motorcycles and mopeds being required to either automatically retract or operate a "kill switch" for the engine when a rider prepares to ride off. In the case of a Segway, which is classified under their moped legislation, he arranges it so that when the Segway platform is horizontal enough to change from a red to a green led to allow balance mode to be activated the kickstand retracts automatically.

Retail price is currently planned to be €180 (approx $240 or £163 dependent upon prevailing exchange rates) plus shipping.

It's pricey, but appears to be well engineered and the inventor is keen to emphasise that his aim was to match the quality and standards of the Segway itself (rather than what INC produced as a kickstand!).
Old 01-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks for the post. Appears to be really well engineered. I know the rider descended some shallow steps, but the rear "pedal" sticks out far enough that I would want to see if it really clears a tall step/curb. Also, I wonder why he chose to have it lean so far forward on the stand -- it makes the LSF really stick out in front.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
budsiskos
budsiskos is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

the only downside is that if someone messes with the seg and it goes up, the seg will fall over
budsiskos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
jkzulu
jkzulu is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default SEGsuperstand thats us from Darmstadt/Germany

Hi fellows,

special thanks to Rob, I did not expected to have the details of our SEGsuperstand so fast posted in here. You reported very well about our talks.

For any kind of questions, please feel invited to contact me during that initial phase, bringing the product to the market.

Pricewise it is planned to go in USD zone 1:1 with the Euro price, as vice versa it is the same with the SEGWAY, means 180-200 USD listprice. A bit depending on shipping and vendor partners.

Us thats SEGWAY Darmstadt, Germany , KRAUSE Technology GmbH.

Contact me here or under segway@4krause.com

I am happy to read your comments on our new product.

warm regards from Germany

Jens
jkzulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
CovRob

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up SEGsuperstand in use!

I went ahead and bought two of these - one for my i2 & one for my x2 (I also have the Funky-Move Custom kickstands on my tour x2's). First off, Jens is excellent to do business with and is really passionate about both the Segway and the quality of his work. The SEGsuperstand is very well constructed and very easy to fit. When fitted the profile matches that of the battery packs, so there is no reduction in ground clearance. The press pedal at the back does not extend beyond the tyre diameter, so it doesn't catch on obstacles when descending - I have taken my x2 over some pretty demanding terrain since fitting and the battery packs grounded before any contact with parts of the stand.

All in all, an excellent design, well engineered and very effective. It operates from the rear and automatically retracts when the platform is moved to the horizontal position before stepping on. This feature does mean the Segway leans forward when parked. One consequent restriction is that if a heavy load is in the handlebar bag it could tip forward...but that would need quite a few kilos.

In comparison to the Funky-Move kickstand? Better, but about 3 times the price. I have had Funky-Move kickstands bend when the Seg has taken a tumble. I had one shear off when a tourer tried to ride off with it down - (an exchange facility is offered at about half the price of new). Neither should happen with the SEGsuperstand.

Some on here have commented about all the kickstands on offer needing action from the front of the Seg before steping on at the rear - not so with this invention.

I like them.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovRob View Post
Some on here have commented about all the kickstands on offer needing action from the front of the Seg before steping on at the rear - not so with this invention.

I like them.
Thanks for the report. This last point (quoted above) is one of the things I find most attractive about the design.

I find it fairly awkward to deploy and retract the front-mounted kickstand. It's one problem I don't see how to fix with things I have lying around the home!
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Great!!!

Can we get them in the US?
Will they work on a i170 and XT?
Thanks
Martin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
CovRob

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrnyc View Post
Can we get them in the US?
Will they work on a i170 and XT?
Thanks
Martin
Martin,

Jens listed his email address a couple of posts before and explained his plans for distribution...he is in start-up phase. They are not a Gen 1 fitment either.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovRob View Post
Martin,

Jens listed his email address a couple of posts before and explained his plans for distribution...he is in start-up phase. They are not a Gen 1 fitment either.
Thanks....
I must of missed it.....
Shame it won't work on a Gen 1...

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Does anybody know how the x2 kickstand would work on an i2? Would the i2 end up not tipping so far forward? Accidental activation of the segway while parked is not one of my concerns, although I understand it is required for parking stands made in Germany.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote