SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Seriously? An XT being used outdoors... is unsafe? Maybe I should read my manual better.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
ArtL
ArtL is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
Seriously? An XT being used outdoors... is unsafe? Maybe I should read my manual better.
No, the XT being ridden off ledges (looks like about a 2.5 ft drop) forward and backward, with and without hands on the handlebars; being ridden down stairs; ridden with one wheel on the ground and the other on a ramp.

What's unsafe about any of that, and that doing any of those things would give ammunition to the anti-Segway crowd, should be inherently obvious to the most casual observer.
ArtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It is showing extreme use of the Segway. It has a big warning at the beginning. The video is cool. Anyone with half a brain will figure out that what they are doing is unsafe. The anti-segway crowd will make nothing of it - what would their case be? If that was their only case against us, we wouldn't be having such a tough time getting things legalised.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Awesome indeed.
Agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
A definite 'must see' for any city contemplating restrictions on Segway tours.
Disagree. I'm sure cities contemplating restricting Segways DO NOT spend all their time trawling through youtube. I'm pretty sure the "professionals" in the video were not on a tour.

Do videos of bmx tricks, skateboarding tricks, any kind of tricks being performed actually do anything other to make people think: "Cool" or "Stupid". I don't think they jump to the conclusion "Watching that video on YouTube, it's plain to see those Segway scooters are unsafe, we must ban them".
Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #15
JimNPHX
JimNPHX is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question Are you kidding me???

Wow . . . so we have to live in a "Segway" bubble and glide under it's capabilities just because? Don't you think it is up to the operator and not the machine? You can drive a car off a bridge if you wanted to. Would the cities and governments ban the cars?
I glide my seg to and from campus, and on campus every day. I am overly cautious while on campus because:
1. It is a madhouse and you just need to
2. I know all eyes are on me
BUT . . . I also go and have fun with it at the proper times and places. If I had to just use it it going 5 m/h and only in a straight line, you would see my segways up for sale.
I think this is a great video showing the capabilities of the X2. I WANT ONE NOW! Why would a (non-business) user buy an X2 if not to take advantage of what it could do? Heck an i2 can handle many a dirt path/trail. So "off-roading" could be done with either. It is the fact that the X2 can do more than the i2 which is what this video is showing. Now if this was done in front of city hall then I could understand the concern. Let's not let go of the fact that a segway can be a lot of fun! To some it may just mean going to and from work. To others . . .

Shawn, cool video. Of course now I hate you because I want an X2 even more!

Hey everyone, seg owners/dealers are not the ones we should be fighting with!

Just my $0.02

Jim
JimNPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Remember back to the Disney post a few days ago?

Well guess what, this is the type of video that can be shown for folks to see "unsafe" segging. And it was shot by a dealer.

Remember the video a few days back of the "caped crusader" flying off the Segway?

Another example of unsafe gliding, shot by an owner.

While these types of videos are educational (sometimes) and fun to shoot, they also are easy to use evidence of poor and unsafe segging behavior.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with posting it...just be aware of the possible repercussions.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #17
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Remember back to the Disney post a few days ago?

Well guess what, this is the type of video that can be shown for folks to see "unsafe" segging. And it was shot by a dealer.

Remember the video a few days back of the "caped crusader" flying off the Segway?

Another example of unsafe gliding, shot by an owner.

While these types of videos are educational (sometimes) and fun to shoot, they also are easy to use evidence of poor and unsafe segging behavior.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with posting it...just be aware of the possible repercussions.

Steven
Agreed Dan, well said.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #18
ArtL
ArtL is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Agreed Dan, well said.

Be Big,
Alan
Exactly my point, but spoken much more clearly.
ArtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #19
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default my 2 cents...overkill

I spoke about this issue of judging other people's presentation of segways last month in http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=14489 . I use terms like "policing" and "self appointed authority" to get people thinking about whether this activity is appropriate now (and under what conditions it'll no longer be a needed or appropriate).

I'll take a moment to say that people who want to say I'm for or against some aspect of this discussion should make sure to read my WHOLE post. Don't just skim it and say, "Oh, plo agrees with me."

This is a complex topic...that's why I waited till my 1000th post before taking it on.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #20
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I think the video was fun. I also think that there are lots of people who do not like fun. And they hate to see others having fun...

I also think there were some inappropriate things in the video for most seggers to do. I believe it was a great advertising tool, in that it shows what can be done on a segway x2, even if it should not be done.

As far as exposing the segway to unfavorable legislation, I believe that there is the potential for that. Of course, there were other unflattering videos before this, and if a person wanted to do a Google search for video to support their hatred of segs, or their love of segs, the video is already out there...

I own several mountain bikes. This video is tame. Try doing a search for some extream biking, even world class competitions on the sides of mountains, and you will have no problem finding a video that would have anti bike groups clammoring to ban bikes from town as well, if that were their intention...

I agree with the warning about making videos that make the enemies of segway have an easy time proving their point, but I am not sure if this is that video... What I see here is a bunch of off road segs doing extream segging, not unlike what the same group might do with off road bikes.

If you compare it to quad runners, the impact is much more favorable. I believe that what these guys were doing is more in that class of activity than in the commuter range. They do not tear up the trail, nor make the noise nor the smell of quad runners.

If someone wants to be negative, they will, this video or not. For us to try to fear that this video will become the "standard of behaviour" that all seggers are going to be held to is a bit overreaching.

The above is my personal opinion. Now, for my other hat...

I believe that much of the video was fine, and I was not offended by some of the drops and the like, but there were several unsafe activities that were also videoed, like the hands free drops, and some of the stair issues, as well as some time on sidewalks. These things I believe should have had a stronger warning against. There are standards of behaviour that are in the safety video, and other presentations from the manufacturer. I believe that we should adhear to those standards, or make if very clear that we are acting outside of the suggestions of the manufacturer. I think the pre warning in the front will be largely overlooked, and for some of the most extream stunts, where text was added, it would have been better to add some disclaimers as well...

SEG America does not condone nor encourage illegal nor reckless behaviour on a segway.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote