SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Post William Shatner on a Segway - kindof

Photo 1 shows WS on a Segway... kindof. Probably for insurance reasons he isn't actually on a Segway - take a look at photo 2. He's on a Segway rig.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/05/05/shat...norary-degree/

Now, is it just me, or does it look like the LSF is backwards but the handlebar or upper portion is the correct way around?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Tx-Rider
Tx-Rider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

To bad he wasn't really on a Segway...
Oh well.

And yes the LSF looks backwards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ps, stay away from squirrels...

Peace, Love, & Segways

Last edited by Tx-Rider; 09-29-2011 at 07:58 PM..
Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
goldwing_midland_tx
goldwing_midland_tx is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Now, is it just me, or does it look like the LSF is backwards but the handlebar or upper portion is the correct way around?

I agree it does appear to be backwards on the lower part since the knob is on the front.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I understand that the statement "for insurance reasons" they may do lots of things is a reality of our times, but it makes no sense to me.

I think it very well may be that the mobility impaired and senior citizens are the single largest demographic on segways today.

For me, that rig in the 2nd photo does not seem at all safer than a segway to a senior citizen.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'd say maybe it's remote controlled, so he just has to hang on and not act or ride or anything -- but then I'd expect it to be in front of a bluescreen.

I'm baffled.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

You're thinking about this from the Segway perspective, but the answer is all about Hollywood.

It is very clearly a dolly. You can see the wheels and the support for the tracks running out behind.

This would be used to get a shot where Shatner is "riding" directly towards the camera. A second dolly holds the camera and is linked to Shatner's dolly. As the both dollys move, the distance from camera to subject is fixed, and the subject stays in focus. This is especially important where they are using an f-stop that gives short depth of field.

This is a very common way to achieve such a shot. It's used all the time for motion shots. This way, not only do they achieve the technical aspects of the shot, but Shatner doesn't have to think about driving a Seg while delivering his lines.

There may be other shots of Shatner actually riding a Seg. The Editor puts it all together and makes you think something is happening that is not. It's Hollywood magic at work.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Ooh I love Hollywood magic!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
You're thinking about this from the Segway perspective, but the answer is all about Hollywood.

It is very clearly a dolly. You can see the wheels and the support for the tracks running out behind.

This would be used to get a shot where Shatner is "riding" directly towards the camera. A second dolly holds the camera and is linked to Shatner's dolly. As the both dollys move, the distance from camera to subject is fixed, and the subject stays in focus. This is especially important where they are using an f-stop that gives short depth of field.

This is a very common way to achieve such a shot. It's used all the time for motion shots. This way, not only do they achieve the technical aspects of the shot, but Shatner doesn't have to think about driving a Seg while delivering his lines.

There may be other shots of Shatner actually riding a Seg. The Editor puts it all together and makes you think something is happening that is not. It's Hollywood magic at work.
This explanation makes much more sense to me than the "For insurance reasons" one. Thanks for this perspective.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #9
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post

Yes, I got that it was a dolly -- but I was missing the point about linkage to the camera dolly.

I know a great deal about CG special effects, but very little about fundamentals like this. Thanks for the explanation!

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Rusty Butrusty
Rusty Butrusty is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

The cap'n was really on a Segway in at least two "Boston Legal" episodes.