SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #81
cms1001
cms1001 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default is there a yike bike link?

I"d Like To See It>
Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #82
Tx-Rider
Tx-Rider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms1001 View Post
I"d Like To See It>
There is a video in this thread.
Pg 7, #61

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ps, stay away from squirrels...

Peace, Love, & Segways
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #83
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I Rode a Yike Bike!

KSagal - I finally tried a Yike Bike! The nice folks from New Zealand traveled to NY for a few days and offered rides/lessons.

My Perspective as a Segway owner:

Benefits Over the Segway -

Flexibility. Sometimes when I am gliding, I come upon situations that aren't best for gliding (heavy traffic - pedestrian and/or vehicle, rough street conditions). In such cases, I'd fold the Yike Bike, then resume riding in improved conditions.

Storage. Being able to take it with me into the office would be ideal. The bike room guard already told me that sometimes they take breaks abd don't watch the bikes *whaat?*

Portability. Being able to hop onto public transportation or into a cab if it starts raining while out is really invaluable for this NYC girl.

Power Failure. If it fails, pick it up and carry it home.

The Segway's Advantages Over the Yike Bike -

Balance. On the Yike Bike, the faster you go, the better your balance...um, no. That doesn't work for me in the city where 'open roads' are something you may see on a screen saver. In NYC, you're always stopping, starting, adjusting speed, ducking and dodging. The Segway is perfect because you can travel as slow as a pedestrian, stop easily, turn 360 degrees and not lose balance as it's self-balancing. VERY important!

Safety. To be fair, I only tried the Yike Bike for a few minutes, but I feel safer on the Segway. I'm too short for the Yike Bike's recommended 5'3" requirement. By contrast, my height is a non-issue on the Segway where I'm also more visible in traffic. I love how it handles the streets on NYC.

Distance/Battery Life. The Segway soars in this area. See specs on either site.

That said, I would (and may) still get a Yike Bike for the portability aspect. I just wish they made the seat adjustable. I'd have one today.

Last edited by lilnyc; 09-28-2012 at 09:18 PM..
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #84
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Great assessment. It is nice to have a review from one of our own, instead of a salesman...

Thanks.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #85
lilnyc

5 yr Member
Default Sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms1001 View Post
I"d Like To See It>
Real use video

I have a video of me on it, but no time to upload right now. one day the ability to upload from the phone to any site (not just YouTube) will exist.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #86
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Great assessment. It is nice to have a review from one of our own, instead of a salesman...

Thanks.
My pleasure

Honestly, I've been researching a LOT of alternatives, and the Segway for me just seems to be the best fit. If the Yike Bike were a standing scooter (which it really is an electric scooter with a seat - not a bike), it would work.

The other toy I was considering was the spnKiX. That got horrible reviews! They're being sold for $700, and one guy hated them so bad (heavy, hard to learn) that he sold them for $100.

But every time I swipe my metro card to travel 1.7 miles to/from home, I know I've wasted money, especially as a Segway owner. I have to just stop being fearful of what may happen and use it, park it in the bike room and call it a day.

With the $4,000+ saved from NOT buying the Yike Bike, I'm sure I can cover the insurance deductible to replace it if something happens
Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #87
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks for the info, Lil. My wife is currently looking at transportation alternatives for getting around LA -- she just got a Razor scooter (non-electric) to try out. She found the eBikes she looked at to be too heavy, but I'll have her take a look at the Yike Bike.

She's a shade under 5' 2" (I'm 6' 6", if you can picture us together!), so your size-related observations are relevant.

But a Segway wouldn't work for her, because of size and space and stairs. The issue for her would be more the security at her weekday apartment than at the office.

(But it would sure be nice to have a second Segway back here when her job ends!)

I notice that Segway of Central Florida is a dealer, if some of you Floridians wanted to check it out.

We have a dealer in Walnut Creek, so we might try checking it out if she's interested, but it may be hard to schedule into her limited time at home.

But a lightweight, folding Segway is what I'd like to see. I'm thinking four small wheels -- yes, still a self-balancing Segway, as odd a that sounds -- a vastly smaller platform, lower speed....

I've mentioned four-wheels in the past, but probably nobody has any idea what I'm talking about. You're used to thinking of four wheels ganged together in a rigid aragement, perhaps slightly decoupled with a suspension.

But picture a platform attached at the midpoint of the two wheels on each side. (You can do better than that -- much better -- but let's keep it simple).

You still have the self-balancing platform. What you get is MUCH smaller wheels, MUCH less wheel weight as a result. You can use narrower, hard-rubber wheels for more efficiency, without crushing toes (within limits) by transferring weight to the rear wheel and opposite front wheel.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.