SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #41
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I do not agree, I think that most people see very little from segways when they are done well, so the positive images of segways is not very popular, or seen much at all.

These segway fail videos are fun and all, but with a vacuum of positive images, and a glut of negative images, they give the segway ignorant public a very inaccurate impression of how dangerous segways are.

Still, I do not think it is a major issue at all.
Youtube is full of people sharing things that are out of the ordinary. It is the wacky, funny, clever, unusual, unbelievable, scary etc. that get the big hits. If the Segway contingent of videos was full of people riding Segways really well, no one would watch. If no one watches, no one posts them. Youtube favours the "fail and win" type videos because they are out of the ordinary and popular and so you are more likely to see them. I maintain that seeing people do stupid things on anything on youtube does not make a normal person think "gee, those things are really unsafe"... whether it be Segway, motorcycle, BMX, trampolining.

And I recall the biggest impression most people had when I was doing my tours was that people thought you couldn't fall off them. That is a worse state of mind to have than thinking there might be some risks involved here.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Having the video on here probably makes no difference to people who have used a Segway for any period of time or those who haven't, after reading the positive comments. And yes I am no longer a Segway owner, sadly I say.

However, I would say that 90% of the people who discussed gliding on a Segway with me had the fear of falling. Most of them were retired people. When you find yourself in your late 60's, or older, falling is a big deal. I always explained to them that the Segway helped keep me from falling. A Segway is much more agile then me. I did fall once, my fault, I took it down in a ditch where it should never have been.

Seeing crash pictures does not help the Segway image, but we live in a video world.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #43
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Perhaps a little context will help… 50,000 segways on the road. 1 hr per month usage. 10 years on the market (assuming linear growth) if my math is right that's 3,000,000 hours of Segway usage… If that's all the fail videos out there it's a pretty small percentage of total usage time.

Segway fails are popular because really everyone wants a Segway and just doesn't have the disposable cash to purchase one

LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #44
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Perhaps a little context will help… 50,000 segways on the road. 1 hr per month usage. 10 years on the market (assuming linear growth) if my math is right that's 3,000,000 hours of Segway usage… If that's all the fail videos out there it's a pretty small percentage of total usage time.

Segway fails are popular because really everyone wants a Segway and just doesn't have the disposable cash to purchase one

LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!
You do bring up a good point. I have railed against these videos as presenting the segway in a negative light because of the absence of a positive light.

Considering your numbers, 3 mil hours of use will have to be seen by someone.

Also, in the past few years, I regularly get approached by neighbors and acquaintances who say they tried a segway on vacation here or there. That was something that just did not happen 6 or 8 years ago.

So, I for one, will lighten up a little on my statements of how this is a site that should encourage positive segway use, and not a good place to make fun of segways, the way that these videos do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #45
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Things have indeed changed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
You do bring up a good point. I have railed against these videos as presenting the segway in a negative light because of the absence of a positive light.

Considering your numbers, 3 mil hours of use will have to be seen by someone.

Also, in the past few years, I regularly get approached by neighbors and acquaintances who say they tried a segway on vacation here or there. That was something that just did not happen 6 or 8 years ago.

So, I for one, will lighten up a little on my statements of how this is a site that should encourage positive segway use, and not a good place to make fun of segways, the way that these videos do.
This is one point where I think you are both right and it depends on the viewer. If you know nothing about a Segway, these videos are a definite negative influence. Just read some of the comments posted after web news stories! Ignorance and misinformation are rampant!

On the other hand things have changed. Some of you will recall that I have been battling Missouri's Conservation Department for more than four and a half years. Just this summer they were still requiring disabled Seg users to get a permit (a separate permit, every year for every site in the state) AND requiring that you submit a doctor's prescription along with your application. I also discovered ( via a Sunshine law request and hidden at the very end of the safety rules where you can't see it until your permit is approved) that they have redefined EPAMDs to include motorized scooters and Hoverrounds...all of which officially therefore require permits! GRRR...

Well, Sunday, I was at the area Nature Center and was stopped by a uniformed volunteer official. He said that Segways are not allowed but that there are exceptions... I assured him that I am disabled and that I ride their trails frequently. He said that he had never seen me before (true), thanked me for my patience--- and that was it ! He didn't ask to see proof of disability, a permit was never mentioned. In short he did exactly what the ADA requires.

I'd say the MDC has a problem!
1. They have changed their policy and are refusing to respond to my requests and complaints.
2. They have an intelligent, informed... and highly independent volunteer.
3. They have a misinformed, poorly trained volunteer!

Who knows! But things have definitely changed!
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #46
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I feel that after 10 years, the image of the Segway is not going to get any better. What the public thinks they are is not going to be changed by us nor any other responsible users. There are only going to be more balancing machines on the market, not fewer. Things are going to get cheaper and thus more people will have them. The percentage of dumb everywhere will remain the same, but more of them will have access to these machines. Expect the amount of idiocy you encounter to rise.

Additionally, the fact than many people derive enjoyment from seeing dumb people be dumb isn't going to change any time soon. People are recording more often than ever, and as the amount of footage rises, so does the probability of catching someone being stupid. I enjoy a Segway fail video just as much as I enjoy seeing a skateboard fail video, a BMX bike fail video, or a DUI checkpoint refusal video.

Just my two cents. People who don't care about my opinions can skip to the next post.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #47
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
I feel that after 10 years, the image of the Segway is not going to get any better. What the public thinks they are is not going to be changed by us nor any other responsible users.
Oh, I don't agree with that at all. I have seen people's perception of the Segway change. And not just in my small community, where I have been the only Seg user for the last 6+ years, but also in metropolitan areas I have frequented. In fact, just recently I had the pleasure of meeting up with another Segger for a glide and we stopped at an ice cream joint. A couple bikers came in and we chatted them up with a few jokes and some small talk. I believe we made a small impression on them as Seg users that was probably not what they expected. And more than once I have been challenged by some authority figure, only to see their demeanor and attitude change in a positive way. I think you may underestimate the power of people to influence and educate. Not everyone has an idea about Segways and its users that is etched in stone.

As for the rest of your post, I think I agree with every bit of it. Very well said.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #48
AltRiders
AltRiders is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Funny stuff
AltRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #49
electroshock735
electroshock735 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

good video but I'm pretty sure that some of these are set ups to generate clicks on YouTube
electroshock735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #50
tomshaw
tomshaw is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

I just saw the Ultimate Segway fails compilation and it was absolutely hilarious. I too have found myself in these kind of situations so its relatable
tomshaw is offline   Reply With Quote