SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Default YOUTUBE-Ultimate Segway fails compilation

This appeared on You Tube today. Thought you all might enjoy. There is one fail clip in the compilation that (in my humble opinion), was performed on purpose. Since it is just my opinion I'm not gonna say which one it is, of course one could argue that because of stupidity or carelessness they are all done on purpose .

Ultimate Segway fails compilation:

be safe
enjoy your glide

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
JPM
JPM is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well, I think what I just saw was a mixture of:

1. A lack of (more likely a complete absence of) proper training.
2. Zero understanding of the physics behind how the Segway works.
3. Attempts at stunting and using the Segway in places and ways that it was never intended to be used.
4. A complete disregard of the machine as well as a lack of respect one needs to have of its capabilities in order to be a safe and happy operator.
5. People doing what they do best - being dumb.

If nothing else, this video did show how durable Segways really are. Some of those crashes weren't exactly gentle and it appears as if the Segways survived each and every one of them.

We're one of a kind as we travel around
The wind in our face, and our feet off the ground
As we see brand new things and have stories to tell
While gliding atop just two wheels, parallel
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I am afraid that I do not see this as amusing.

This is a positive segway place, this forum. That tape was designed to make fun of people having accidents. I do not think that making a video of that sort more popular will make the segway environment improved or better received to the general public, but just the opposite.

No one was explaining the most common mistake I observed which was a wheel strike to another object (sometimes another segway) and no one mentioned that all of these accidents were operator error, or even that one was not even a segway.

I see tapes like this to be destructive, and do not promote anything positive.

I would place this video among others of car accidents, or people falling and hurting themselves. I have never gained entertainment from watching others hurt themselves.

I am not saying that it should not be posted here, just that I could not enjoy it as the OP suggested.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I am afraid that I do not see this as amusing.

This is a positive segway place, this forum. That tape was designed to make fun of people having accidents. I do not think that making a video of that sort more popular will make the segway environment improved or better received to the general public, but just the opposite.

No one was explaining the most common mistake I observed which was a wheel strike to another object (sometimes another segway) and no one mentioned that all of these accidents were operator error, or even that one was not even a segway.

I see tapes like this to be destructive, and do not promote anything positive.

I would place this video among others of car accidents, or people falling and hurting themselves. I have never gained entertainment from watching others hurt themselves.

I am not saying that it should not be posted here, just that I could not enjoy it as the OP suggested.

Karl,

(IMHO), I know you are probably not joking in your response, but you are taking that compilation way to freaking seriously. Yes, you are a person of strong opinions but really...GOOD GRIEF!!!

be safe
enjoy your glide...
and if someone catches you falling / crashing on video we will probably laugh (or cry or even pray) at/for you.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
There is a certain fascination with this kind of video and there has been for as long as the common man could afford a video camera.

It is not to everybody's taste but there is enough public interest in such things to keep primetime TV shows running for years and year and years.

I don't see the video as positive as such but I can see the humour in it. I can also see how some narrow-minded people might try to claim it as evidence of how unsafe the Segway is - but I would hope most people can discern that every slip, trip and fall is being caused by people either being dumb or by making mistakes (user error).

These videos exist for almost every vehicle type you can imagine and I would hope that a Segway is now common enough to also feature because it shows it is becoming more mainstream.

My only gripe is that it is not entitled "Segway PT operator fails" - but the more accurate title might not register so many hits in the search engines and is not the way these things are done.

If the video was explicitly asserting the fails were the direct fault of the Segway, then I would have a different position and I assume Segway INC might too.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
There is a certain fascination with this kind of video and there has been for as long as the common man could afford a video camera.

It is not to everybody's taste but there is enough public interest in such things to keep primetime TV shows running for years and year and years.

I don't see the video as positive as such but I can see the humour in it. I can also see how some narrow-minded people might try to claim it as evidence of how unsafe the Segway is - but I would hope most people can discern that every slip, trip and fall is being caused by people either being dumb or by making mistakes (user error).

I believe that some of these very same clips were used on this forum not two weeks ago, from an individual who was claiming to be both a segway owner with a heart condition and also claiming it as evidence as to why he thought Disney aught not admit segways. (Of course he was ignorant of the fact that they already have many many segways, and rent them everyday.)

I may not have as much of a sense of humor in this area, but I also know it does not take many to make a complaint, nor change access rules. And they are more than happy to take videos like this out of context and use them as examples.

For the record, I know that there are many video television shows that show funny home videos of people falling down and hurting themselves. I don't find them entertaining either. I do know that some people find them amusing, and do not say they should not, but neither am I happy to have people tell me that I should. In this area, I guess it is best to say, "to each, their own."

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I would never tell you what to do or like, Karl!

The position put forward in the Disney thread, supported by such videos, was so easily refuted, so quickly and by so many, it makes my point!

Maybe we should edit the video releasing our own version, with additional text before each clip explaining the cause? That would be positive.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

[QUOTE=KSagal;228201]I am afraid that I do not see this as amusing.

That tape was designed to make fun of people having accidents.

No one was explaining the most common mistake

Karl,

I don't believe me saying "I hope you might enjoy it" is anything akin to telling someone to watch it.

There was NO "designed" in that video. It was a simple compilation of factual video clips. I saw at least two compilation videos before this one. In both some of the clips were, as you said "designed" in that several of the clips were repeated in slow motion. This video showed no such "designed".

If you want to offer an opinion fine. All I would ask is not to compare it to your "designed" videos.

be safe
enjoy your glide

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I would never tell you what to do or like, Karl!

The position put forward in the Disney thread, supported by such videos, was so easily refuted, so quickly and by so many, it makes my point!

Maybe we should edit the video releasing our own version, with additional text before each clip explaining the cause? That would be positive.
Not too bad an idea, actually... I've seen some of these enough times that we probably wouldn't get into any legal hassles. Or if not using this video, showing and explaining the result of hitting a stationary object, the toppling back and forth as sheer stupidity--testing the law of gravity maybe? a title like Segways and the Law of Gravity or The Truth About Segways ought to attract the people looking for this kind of stuff. And then linking to it from this and similar videos...
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
kendall69
kendall69 can only hope to improve

5 yr Member

Quote:
I believe that some of these very same clips were used on this forum not two weeks ago, from an individual who was claiming to be both a segway owner with a heart condition and also claiming it as evidence as to why he thought Disney aught not admit segways. (Of course he was ignorant of the fact that they already have many many segways, and rent them everyday.)

"
NO the Ignorant curmudgeon is you Jerk. You wanna start calling NAMES, then I'm all in Moronic FAN BOY. The second you pull your head out of your private parts you's see I'm 100% correct .
Only a fool like you would attempt to ride a Segway in Disney with TOE TO TOE crowds.

Once you stop Drinking the Segway Koolaid you will see these are NOT the safest products on the planet. Segways FALL OVER WITH PEOPLE ON THEM. ( VIDEO PROOF ) Kids will get killed. There a thousand videos on the web proving MY POINT and none proving YOURS - you simpleton. Here's FACT Jerk boy. two wheels are not as safe as FOUR do the math moron.

Serious Injuries From Riding Segways Increasing
Injury Data Released Shortly After Company Owner Dies in Segway Accident

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/2010...ays-increasing

The Guardian the British government's response to the unveiling of the Segway was to publish its "Regulations for Self-balancing Scooters" which effectively banned the machine from all paths and roads due to the apparent dangers:

GRAVE of DEAD SEGWAY INVENTOR
http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/deadly-segway

Injuries Caused by Segways

California Segway accident attorneys recover financial damages for people suffering from the following kinds of injuries due to a malfunctioning or defective Segway:

Broken bones
Broken wrists
Spinal cord injuries
Facial injuries
Head injuries
Disfiguration
Severe lacerations

Unfortunately for some riders, this resulted in the machine suddenly turning off if it sensed its speed limit was about to be exceeded. In other cases, a Segway would suddenly turn off if its battery ran out; in other cases, the Segway would suddenly go in reverse at high speeds. In each case, riders were thrown from the machine or fell to the ground with their Segway, suffering serious injuries and head contusions.

Lastly You pathetic LOSER put your money where your BIG MOUTH IS. Put up the price of a NEW SEGWAY and if I can't prove ownership of a Segway and a heart condition you mentally deficient liar, then I will but you a new Segway. If I CAN then you buy me one.

Ya I thought that would shut your big mouth while hiding behind a computer screen

Last edited by kendall69; 01-28-2013 at 02:00 AM..
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote