SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKPeterson View Post
Being a non-owner, I can't speak to any actual gliding experience, but everything I've read up until now would have had me believe the Segway WAS NOT very stable on slippery surfaces. Perhaps it was when the difference in traction between the two tires is different, such as between cement and wet grass. In this case, traction between the two tires remains pretty similar.

Great video!

Stuart
It's stable, right up to where it can't produce enough force.

If you drive it carefully and gently so it doesn't require as much force, you can traverse pretty slippery surfaces. He was riding pretty aggressively.

As a rule of thumb, if you have trouble doing something on foot, it'll be marginal with the Segway but may outperform you on foot. When I first got a Segway, I went up a dust-covered steep path, until I lost traction. When I tried to get up, I slid back down that same hill, on my hands and knees. This was stock tires, and they out-performed my shoes or even hands and denim (which wore through, and I made a mess of my knees as well as my hands).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Carlo makes it look easier than it is.

Clearly, he is very good at riding and controlling a segway. I could be wrong, but I suspect he is pretty fit, pretty able to control other items well also. If I had to guess, I would say he may be able to ride a bike or in line skates, possibly better than average as well.

A segway is a conveyance. It is not too much like others, and it is very advanced regarding its ability to self stabilize, but it also is like others in that it is easily controlled, and either over controlled (most common) or ridden well. In this video we see that Carlo can control it well enough to actually add to its control.

This is not unlike other things. Some people can drive better than others. Anyone who has seen any Parkour (I suggest you You Tube it) will see that some people can clearly walk, run and jump better than others as well.

Most of what is in these videos I have seen done before on Segways. Carlo is not alone in his skills. He is however, a very good operator, and very good at the video that shows this. Good for him.

Next time I am in Italy, I would love to glide with him. However, I may not keep up all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
carlotaglia
carlotaglia is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You're right Karl!

I forgot to translate in English what I wrote at the beginning of the video (the two automatic voices of my mac are ironic) and in its description on Youtube.
Basically, I wrote that you don't have to try this at home unless you are an expert driver.

Segway standard tires are dangerous on snow, the traction that those tires can offer is almost inexistent, in fact you have to perfectly know how to brake and turn, but with other cross tires (two years ago I found this interesting page on Segwaychat's archive http://forums.segwaychat.org/archive...p/t-15256.html ), you can drive almost safely in every conditions: also, if you switch on the beginners mode, you will find that you can start without problems on snow and that you can brake very safely (you just have to pay attention with ice).

Karl, it would be interesting to see other videos: I know that I'm not alone and I saw just this video
Quote:
I know that here in Italy there's a Segway dealer that two years ago organized a "Segway slalom challenge" on wet grass: unfortunately I don't have much time (now I'm relatively free for one week more, so I think that this will be the last video of this winter ), but, seeing photos of that event, it was amazing!

If you will came to Italy, it would be a pleasure to visit a city together with our Segways!

i2 Owner since 2006 with more than 4000km experience
carlotaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Carlo,

I do like your tires, and agree with your statements about them and traction.

Years ago, I made similar discoveries.

I used to sell Chen Shin tires to the segway community. I believe that MadSegs used a set of these tires at the first MAMS and did very well in all venues.

A friend of mine called these tires I was selling as KETTS (Karl's Extra Traction Tires.) He called the ones on the left as Super Ketts.

I use the ones on the right as my standard tire, and run them all the time.

Currently, on my i2, I run the KETTs tread pattern, but in a slightly oversized tire. It is only 1 inch bigger (about 2.5 cm) but it gives me a bit more speed, and does not take away enough torque.

Have fun. Next time I plan a trip to Italy, I will surely look you up, and invite you to do the same if you come to the northeast part of the USA. (Boston area)

Have fun. Glide more.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotaglia View Post
I know that here in Italy there's a Segway dealer that two years ago organized a "Segway slalom challenge" on wet grass
I wrote a long post suggesting wet grass as a training ground, before trying winter conditions. I deleted it because it was too disorganized...

Just don't go tearing up local parks, or the authorities might not be too happy with you.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #16
carlotaglia
carlotaglia is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Just don't go tearing up local parks, or the authorities might not be too happy with you.
Hehehehe, I know .
Last time I was in a little park near a local torrent, but there isn't grass, just mood: there are a lot of events in summer, such as a "medieval recall" (http://www.canoniani.it/forum_forum....72&post=497341), so, it isn't a problem to have few tire traces (just with Michelin Starcross tires, because using standard "slick" tires you have to slick like a devil to leave some traces ).

i2 Owner since 2006 with more than 4000km experience
carlotaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotaglia View Post
Hehehehe, I know .
Last time I was in a little park near a local torrent, but there isn't grass, just mood: there are a lot of events in summer, such as a "medieval recall" (http://www.canoniani.it/forum_forum....72&post=497341), so, it isn't a problem to have few tire traces (just with Michelin Starcross tires, because using standard "slick" tires you have to slick like a devil to leave some traces ).
You might find the US Society for Creative Anachronism interesting.

http://www.sca.org/officers/media/images.html

Old 09-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #18
AltRiders
AltRiders is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking

Great pictures man!
AltRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #19
tomshaw
tomshaw is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member