SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
stevepierce
stevepierce is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Finally a working Segway kick stand

Finally, a working Segway kick stand your i2 and x2. It is from a company called Steam Punk.

They are also making their own Amish-style Segway too. Below is a photo.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Stea...egway-Legway-/

Enjoy,

- Steve

Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
budsiskos
budsiskos is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

i cant tell if your joking or not but steampunk is a style, not a company
budsiskos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
DaveA
DaveA is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Steve, please edit your post and put lots of smilies in it so that people won't be confused when you tell a joke.

Something like this:
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepierce View Post
Finally, a working Segway kick stand your i2 and x2. It is from a company called Steam Punk.

They are also making their own Amish-style Segway too. Below is a photo.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Stea...egway-Legway-/

Enjoy,

- Steve

I think this guy should get a special invitation to the next SegfesT! I'd chip in for him to attend, even if I can't make it myself!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I think this guy should get a special invitation to the next SegfesT! I'd chip in for him to attend, even if I can't make it myself!
And the best part -- it's safe for air travel!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
dynk
dynk is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I also believe it will be allowed in DisneyWorld.
dynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
stevepierce
stevepierce is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I was most interested in the kickstand. Apparently this inventor can figure out how to make a kickstand that will actually hold up his invention.

As opposed to Segway who two years later still hasn't fixed the kick stand problem.

Steve
Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
I was most interested in the kickstand. Apparently this inventor can figure out how to make a kickstand that will actually hold up his invention.

As opposed to Segway who two years later still hasn't fixed the kick stand problem.

Steve

I don't think they have a kick stand problem...

I put the kickstand down. I rest the segway on the kickstand. The segway falls down. I pick up my segway, and then I kick the stand. Happens all the time.

No problems...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 04-19-2009 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: For those slow on the pick-up, this is for you... :)
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:

Steve
I'd be happy to license them my modifications, done with things found around the home:

Take a piece of polyethylene from empty gallon milk bottles large enough to go around the existing kickstand twice. It helps to soften it over a heat source and preroll tightly while warm
Put the polyethylene around the existing kickstand, and wrap it in fiber-reinforced tape.

That's enough to solve the main problem. However, the rubber tip will eventually fail. So the final piece is to stick an ordinary cane tip (3/4" inner diameter) on the end. It will fit tightly, but taping or gluing it into place is also a good idea.

For aesthetics, wrap it in black electrical tape (or another color, if you prefer). Heat-shrink tubing would be a good substitute, if you have any of the right size lying around, but I'd just used the last of that size on another project...and my main rule in this effort was to not have to go out and buy anything.

I thought this fix would not last long, and I'd soon run out and buy a better kickstand. And there ARE several kickstand designs I'd rate as better than mine.

But none cheaper, if you've got a stock INC kickstand.

And it's held up very well, and is quite adequate. If you forget the stand is down, and drag the Segway around with it down -- or more awkwardly, manage to put it into Riderless Balance Mode -- you'll bend the modified kickstand out of shape. Unlike the stock one, however, just bend it back and it's fine.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Nice sculpture...
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote