SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

The biggest issue with weight is battery usage. We have taken several riders on our tour that pushed the 300 lb. range and did as good as anyone else.

During our half-way break we discretely check the battery guage, and if necessary, we switch the unit with another used by a light person. This way everyone gets back without fully discharging a battery...
Old 05-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
S-Tip
S-Tip

5 yr Member
Default Awkward...how do you tell them they exceed the weight limit

My best friend is over the limit, (he won't tell me how much), and he learned to ride the segway quicker than I did. I saw a video of some really big guy rocking back and forward on a segway, until it finally fell forward. It was on ebay. The video looked like it was a guy on a tour, but I suspect it was set up and he was trying to make it fall. Surely a tour guide wouldn't let him ride the way he was riding and he would have gotten the shaking stick. Do all models have the shaking stick? I've gotten it once. I pushed the segway with my foot on it when it wasn't in balance mode. Guess it told me off. Ok, I'm rambling. I think a fat person in decent shape can ride. I won't let my mom or my friend's dad ride it because of knee and hip problems. S-Tip
S-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
hmintz
hmintz is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I was concerned about the "weight limit" when I bought my i167 (used), but I haven't had any problems at all. I'm 6'6", and weigh in at about 300 lbs.

My first ride was on a friends' machine (thanks, Steve - look what you started ), and I only had the "shakes" for a minute or so - until I realized that I didn't have to do anything about balancing (pretty much like everyone else, I expect). Since I've gotten my own, I've progressed to the Red key, and the only thing I notice is that the battery may not last long enough - I solved that by upgrading the software at Jaredfest, and getting a set of Li Ion batteries.

Last week, my wife Pat and I went to the big Springfield OH Antique show with our Segways (she has an i170), and ran around (slowly) for 7 hours without running out of anything except personal energy (hey - even on comfort mats it takes something out of you to stand up for 7 hours).

We had a great time - even drove the Segs through the narrow aisles in the buildings. I went into any booth the had a wide enough opening for the wheels to get through. The only problem we experienced all day was a careless walker who tied to walk right through me from the right rear, and I managed to avoid her without damage (it's hard for me to believe she couldn't see something as large as me).

What slowed us down the most was all the people that just had to talk to us about the Segways! Only 2 of them were silly enough to ask about doing wheelies (I told the 2nd guy I was on a perpetual wheelie ).

And now my 5'5" wife knows what it's like to look down on peoples heads like I always do .
hmintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:16 PM   #14
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

For a demo or a tour ride, a person over the wieght limit is probably not a problem because of the short time on the machine or the relatively slow speeds.

However, another consideration for a fat person on the Segway is that s/he may not have the proper clearance between the stomach and the handlebars at full speed. Segway recommends that there always be a gap there for safety.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #15
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default distance

For the airbag deployment?

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something right™

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #16
tomshaw
tomshaw is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default My personal experience

It dosen't matter how much you weigh and I would definitely not comment on how much your son's friend weigh or that he is too heavy or not because the only thing weight will have an impact is the radius. So the heavier you are the shorter radius you'll get apart from the rest nothing is different.
tomshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #17
fabricGator
fabricGator is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default Gearbox?

The machine will handle agile rider's over the limit. Yet I have read that the gearbox will fail in less miles than a rider who is within the published limit.
Comments?
fabricGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshaw View Post
It dosen't matter how much you weigh and I would definitely not comment on how much your son's friend weigh or that he is too heavy or not because the only thing weight will have an impact is the radius. So the heavier you are the shorter radius you'll get apart from the rest nothing is different.
The son's friend is 13 years older now, since the original post here was from May of 2006 - No telling how much he weighs now

"Shorter Radius??" A radius is one half the diameter of a circle . . . . or, the shorter of the bones in your forearm. I have no idea what either of those has to do with a Segway

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote