SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #51
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Just as a minor update to this thread. I have since sold the Airwheel. Whilst I did enjoy riding it and did manage to get back on it after my accident, I fell out of love with it as a serious transportation option, for me at least.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #52
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Just as a minor update to this thread. I have since sold the Airwheel. Whilst I did enjoy riding it and did manage to get back on it after my accident, I fell out of love with it as a serious transportation option, for me at least.
Thanks for the accounts, which I just read, of your Airwheel experience. Glad you survived it reasonably intact.

Reflecting on your experience and my own perceptions of the device when I saw the initial videos of it in operation, I really couldn't see the validity of its design, based mainly on the fact that it had only one wheel.

Sure, they somehow made it "work" and showed skilled operators on it who were rather convincing. But what I DIDN'T see were any "panic stops" or any slow speed maneuvers which would be rather essential if one were operating it in crowds or busy concourses.

But then I could see why we didn't see any such operations, because such aren't really possible on that thing.

I'm also not surprised to NOT see any Ryno devices around for similar reasons.

Dean Kamen stuck his neck out with the design of the Segway PT, perhaps giving the general public too much credit in expecting mass adoption in large numbers. Even though its design is much more sound and viable, it also carries with it a rather high requirement that the operator be substantially agile, both mentally and physically, and be able to be far more alert and observant than the average Joe so as to avoid gliding mishaps.

I've called gliding "low level flight" on a number of occasions. I think the comparison is apt, because airplane pilots are also held to much higher than average levels of alertness, training, preparedness, clear thinking, quick reactions, calmness under pressure and/or dangerous condition, etc.

Airplanes cost a lot, mainly because they have be be safety certified and reliable. Same goes for the Segway PT.

Operators of both, though, enjoy the uncommon pleasures of flight.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 12-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #53
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

The solowheel seems to me to be more of a sporty hobby, like rollerblading or some such. The Segway is much more "pedestrian" (heh) in its design. The solowheel never tried to be a Segway. It's an electric unicycle, that's all. If you ride a solowheel, you're still riding a unicycle. Panic stops work the same way they do on a unicycle-- You put your feet on the ground. Working in crowds is more difficult, since you need to keep moving to remain stable, but you don't need to be going very fast. The expert at my work can do turns roughly 5 feet in diameter, which is difficult.

Basically, if you don't want to learn a new physical skill, and want a safety-conscious method of transport, the Solowheel is not for you. That doesn't mean it is useless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #54
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
The solowheel seems to me to be more of a sporty hobby, like rollerblading or some such. The Segway is much more "pedestrian" (heh) in its design. The solowheel never tried to be a Segway. It's an electric unicycle, that's all. If you ride a solowheel, you're still riding a unicycle. Panic stops work the same way they do on a unicycle-- You put your feet on the ground. Working in crowds is more difficult, since you need to keep moving to remain stable, but you don't need to be going very fast. The expert at my work can do turns roughly 5 feet in diameter, which is difficult.

Basically, if you don't want to learn a new physical skill, and want a safety-conscious method of transport, the Solowheel is not for you. That doesn't mean it is useless.
I agree with Gihgehls on this. It required much more effort to learn (for me anyways) but was rewarding in its own unique way. But it also carried more risk in my opinion - but also had other benefits in terms of portability and lower costs.

It's such a shame to me that the Ryno, which once talked about travelling at speeds of up to 25MPH, will launch limited to 10MPH (launching next year - they're not out yet). That's the same speed as an Airwheel and slower than a Segway. With less range than a Segway. Shame.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #55
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post

It's such a shame to me that the Ryno, which once talked about travelling at speeds of up to 25MPH, will launch limited to 10MPH (launching next year - they're not out yet). That's the same speed as an Airwheel and slower than a Segway. With less range than a Segway. Shame.
Those are very good points....then the better batteries are extra....the delay of the launch and that you have to go to Oregon to test ride before you can buy...

There communication is lacking from ever aspect.... Price is OK...
Old 01-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #56
mikemrm
mikemrm is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Mini Segway

I too looked at last mile alternatives to my Segway. after reading about Solowheel(and now 100's of copies) I decided to try one of these: Mini Smart Self Balancing Electric Unicycle Scooter balance 2 wheels (sorry I don't NO how to paste a link, look this up on ebay) Not bad! look around as there are already 100's of these! one thing that steered me away from the Solowheel( 1 wheelers) is their legality. This meets the definition of a EPAMD

Last edited by mikemrm; 01-01-2015 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #57
Cybercat
Cybercat is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemrm View Post
I too looked at last mile alternatives to my Segway. after reading about Solowheel(and now 100's of copies) I decided to try one of these: Mini Smart Self Balancing Electric Unicycle Scooter balance 2 wheels (sorry I don't NO how to paste a link, look this up on ebay) Not bad! look around as there are already 100's of these! one thing that steered me away from the Solowheel( 1 wheelers) is their legality. This meets the definition of a EPAMD
Since when does a "unicycle" have 2 wheels???
Old 01-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #58
mikemrm

5 yr Member
Default Unicycle?

Yeah I NO. Chinese(Japanese) descriptions (and their manuals) are hilarious! Google the description WITHOUT the unicycle word. Me
Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #59
mikemrm

5 yr Member
Default Hilarious descriptions; tire size: 1700mm

Look up efreefeet.com.(S5-05)It says "tire size: 1700mm"(should be 170mm)! That tire size would give my Segway XT 62.92" of ground clearance! Me
Old 01-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #60
mikemrm

5 yr Member
Default 29.46"

Sorry, I meant 29.46" of ground clearance.

Tags
crash, onewheel, ouch, solowheel