SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
jimbo74
jimbo74 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i167 rider switch problem or worn mat?

My i167 appears to have either a worn out mat or possibly one of the rider detect foot switches is not quite right. It's an old machine and has been very good to me!

1. When I added a DIY comfort mat I was surprised by blinking red indicator lights when starting. Removing this very light add on allowed it to be ok. I cleaned up the primary mat and the switch area and it seemed to be fine, but now notice that on occasion pushing the red button to turn it off does not and then have to lift the mat to get the "rider off" confirmation beep.

2. The front rider detect switches seem to press with a bit more resistance then the rear which go in with a light touch.

3. The mats themselves seem to be worn from age as when pressing down at the front and rear portions which move up and down they are pretty much down on the rear.

4. When the machine is in riderless balance mode the lightest touch on the 4 quadrants gives an immediate beep, where as I would expect it to need more give indicating the weight of even a very light person.

Recently, when getting off with groceries hanging on the bars and prior to bringing it up my concrete steps the wheels spun up crazily and I had to "let go" and let it fly. I think it thought I was still on it?

What do you think?

Jim W
jimbo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I seem to recall metal stiffeners in the factory mat. It may be that this metal plate is warped or bent or worn.

It may be worth checking it out, either by eyeing it, or some other method. Over time, the weight of standing on that mat may have bent it, and you may be able to bend it back, or offer some other method of stiffening it.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
jimbo74
jimbo74 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Your reply sent me back to the drawing board with a fresh way of looking at the problem. I knew I was working with a close tolerance situation whether it be switch or mat, and what needed to happen was to increase the space between the foot switches and the mat. There are metal edges on the perimeter of the mat and two flat ones where the feet goes. The rubber mat flexes for on and off. I bent the metal on the outer edges to raise the mat centers which keeps the rubber further away from the switches.

Initial testing indicates more pressure is needed before the switch is activated putting the machine into balance mode and a more reliable confirmation beep timing.

Thanks for the nudge Karl! :-)
jimbo74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i167, mats, switches