SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
Master One
Master One is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question What's an i167 with NiMH batteries worth nowadays? Would you still buy one?

Buying a used Segway was pretty much out of question for me, especially a Gen1 unit, but I am curious, if and at what price others would still consider purchasing one.

I just took a look at some offers. Have a look at the enclosed picture. It has a damaged fender, and some strange coloring on the control shaft (but can't really tell what the problem could be on that picture), but otherwise is said to be in excellent condition, is offered by a dealer giving 6 months warranty on the vehicle itself and the batteries. At what price would be buy that unit?

I am aware, that getting Gen1 replacement parts gets harder by the day and they are pricey as well, and I am not seriously considering such a purchase, but I don't think I can let the idea go without having some input from other enthusiasts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i167.jpg (7.5 KB, 39 views)
Master One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

The red teardrop looking thing near the bottom looks like the red keyfob. The red across the front of the handlebars looks like a reflector someone has added to it. And if I'm not mistaken the control shaft looks extremely long to be an original shaft. Looks like it was setup for someone extremely tall.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
sharonfas
sharonfas

5 yr Member
Default i167 with NiMH batteries

The i167 with NiMH batteries on ebay in excellent condition sell for around 2500-3000 plus shipping. Now that's excellent condition.
I still use an i167 because I have MS and have been afraid to try the new generation handle that turns if you lean. I"ve recently seen the Seg seat with the i2's though and have been thinking that might be the way to go for me.
sharonfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Master One
Master One is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Ok, overlooked the other pictures of that particular i167 (see below). The picture from the left does not show that strange coloring on the control shaft, so it may have been an optical illusion on the photo from the front, and the red teardrop thingy is the red key hanging on a ribbon from the handlebar (as seen in the picture from the top and right side). And do you really think it's an extra long control shaft? Wouldn't it be pretty expensive to have that custom fitted to a Gen1 machine? The extra long look from the front may be an optical illusion as well, but on the other hand, even if that one should be extra long, it should still be adjustable in height, right (can you tell from the picture from the right?)?

So from these pictures and the sparse info from my first posting, what would you say that vehicle is still worth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i167_left.jpg (11.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg i167_right.jpg (7.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg i167_top.jpg (15.7 KB, 26 views)
Master One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
MowTin
MowTin is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master One View Post
I am aware, that getting Gen1 replacement parts gets harder by the day and they are pricey as well, and I am not seriously considering such a purchase, but I don't think I can let the idea go without having some input from other enthusiasts...
Thanks for dissing my gen1

I bought a gen1 i180 about 3 months ago. I chose a gen1 because only gen1 can travel on airplanes with NiMH batteries.

I paid $2400. When I was searching on Ebay the going rate was between $2000 and $2800 depending on condition and bidders.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

That does not appear to be an original i167 handlebar. It seems to me to be a i170 bar. I could not see clearly, it might even be an i180 bar.

That does not necessarily mean anything bad, but when some people buy things, they like the parts to match. Others do not care. If I had to guess, from those pictures alone, I would guess that the platform and handlebars did not get issued at the same time, and this has parts from two segways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I still have my i167 after upgrading to an i2, and frankly I have been unable to unload the i167 (even with its Li-Ion upgrade) even after trying several methods. I don't have anything against first-gens, but I like the i2 better and no longer use the older model.

I've tried various local shippers and none were even willing to attempt shipping a Segway (so I could sell it online). I've seen some more info here about possible additional companies that might be able to do it, but the specialized freight shippers seem to charge so much that it might actually cost me money to sell the Segway. I'm also concerned about increasingly negative experiences I've had with eBay in general.

I've also tried to find someone who would be interested in buying it locally, but the only person who responded was a dealer who haggled me down to $1000 but said that he was definitely buying it and we had a deal - then he called me back and said he was backing out.

Even though I put a ton of money into the i167, sometimes I think I might have to give it away for free. I know that sounds a little crazy, but I haven't been able to sell it and continuing to store it could potentially become a problem too.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

You can ship a Segway, with lithium-ion batteries attached, by UPS Ground. It's legal. It MUST be ground transport only, however, and the batteries MUST be installed in the Seg.

I suggest that you don't ask a shipper to box it up. This is where some seem to get hinkey. Bring the box, packed and sealed, to a full-fledged UPS facility and you should be good to go. Filling out a shipping invoice yourself, in advance, might also help avoid some questions.

For a potential local sale, put it on Craigs List.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

I bought my I-167 first gen in July from a seller in Chicago. He was wanting 2000 on Craigslist, but since I was willing to drive almost four hours I got it for $1800. It is in great shape, physically and cosmetically. I even got the handlebar bag. It was made in 2006, near when they stopped making gen1's. It has the lith upgrade but has the Nimhs. I figure I got a great deal.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
william collins
william collins will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Handlebar

looks to me to be the right length and may just be an illusion in that it was leaning toward the photographer

Tags
i167