SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Taking A Slight Break!!

Hello All,

Effective today, I will not be on as much as usual. Many have asked, with all of the activities I partake in (FT Job, PT Job, FT School) how I can always be online and the answer is simple. At my Full time job I have internet and am able to get on. My part time job and schooling is mostly done online at home so I can get on there as well.

There has been a twist. Yesterday, the electric company shut my electricity off. I owe around $700 for that and it will take months for me to come up with it. The reason I have gotten so behind is simply because I fell behind, with the hospital stays and just providing food. The doctor called them and they refused to set up any type of payment plan either I pay the full balance or I am without electricity.

I am looking into getting friends to set up service for me, but for a while I will only have electricity at work. That being said I will not be able to be on as much. While I am at work I will continue to participate but outside of that I will not be able to. I know many probably do not care and that is fine, but to those that do, I thought I would explain the reasoning behind my cutting back online. That is all I have to say!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 05-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
jryan

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

An Update!!!! So, last week we had eviction court and it was determined we must be out by the 19th! So, we were stuck trying to find a place that accepts people with horrible credit and prior evictions. Well, yesterday we found the place. It is outrageously cheap with all utilities except electric included! We will be signing a month to month lease tomorrow and moving in over the weekend.

The bad, the neighborhood is not so good, however, after careful thinking I determined that nowhere in Madison is really that dangerous so we should be fine. The good news is that after the weekend is over we will have electricity again and should have internet. A completely different electric company services our new address so we can pay the $700 off at our own leisure.

So, after Monday, I should be able to join in a lot more often as I will have internet at home (hopefully it will come Saturday, but no guarantees)! Just thought I would offer an update. Thanks and have a great day!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Skinnee D
Skinnee D is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Just a question

How could you ever think of getting a Segway when you can barely pay your bills?? After going through some of your posts I just thought I would ask.
Skinnee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
jryan

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnee D View Post
How could you ever think of getting a Segway when you can barely pay your bills?? After going through some of your posts I just thought I would ask.
Thank you for asking Damon! I have thought long and hard about this and I have come to one conclusion. Obtaining a Segway will be very difficult. Realistically, now that I have lower rent, I could chip in about $150 a month towards the purchase price. Short of a miracle, it will probably be a LONG time before I can get a Segway.

Now I am constantly working on other options. I am looking into a possible deal where I provide some kind of service for a Segway, or maybe a motivated seller willing to take payments. After I get the machine there won't be a whole lot of issues, but you are right, it will be difficult to get one!

What I need to consider is the value in a Segway. Currently, it is difficult for me to go much of anywhere, outside of the house and work, as I have to walk on crutches and with my heart complications, I cannot push myself too hard. What I need to ask myself is this. What is the freedom a Segway will offer you worth? To me that answer is that it is priceless.

Let's say I find a dealer/owner willing to take $150/month for lets say 2 years. Would I hold up to that obligation? Yes. You see, paying for that Segway would be top priority outside of rent. I would gladly go without phone if that would mean that I still have the freedoms of a Segway. You see Damon, a Segway is much more than a savings on gas or a fun toy. Therefore, it gets priority.

So, in conclusion, it will be very difficult, in my financial situation, to acquire one, but guess what? It will be well worth it! Just a shame Tricare doesn't cover it!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Question What ever happened to the deal that Eric Payne was working on for you?

I know he had come up with a couple of ways to get you a Segway prior to his leaving Segway Chat.

Did any of those programs ever come to fruition?
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
jryan

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
I know he had come up with a couple of ways to get you a Segway prior to his leaving Segway Chat.

Did any of those programs ever come to fruition?
Unfortunately, Will, none of those came to be. He was working on getting me set up with Gilligan, and I got a 501 (c) 3 in my area to agree to a tax deduction for the insurance company in exchange for a donation. Unfortunately, one of the employees at the salvage yard paid full price (what the insurance paid) for Gilligan before anything could surface.

Eric is constantly working on looking for options. He sends me periodic e-mails for possibilities, none have yet proven fruitful, however I thank him for his help. Maybe one day, one will, I'm not sure. But thank you for the question Will!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
serrow
serrow is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Skinnee D: valid question.

Jeremy, so you do not see it a problem leaving a bill of $700 just because you now have access to another company? Lots of folks here really supported you in the past and it looks like you are kinda running away from your responsibilities.
serrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
A completely different electric company services our new address so we can pay the $700 off at our own leisure.
Not to speak for Jeremy or anything, but he didn't say he wasn't going to pay it. Just that he would pay it on a payment plan that was more do-able than a lump-sum payment...

J
Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
jryan

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrow View Post
Skinnee D: valid question.

Jeremy, so you do not see it a problem leaving a bill of $700 just because you now have access to another company? Lots of folks here really supported you in the past and it looks like you are kinda running away from your responsibilities.
Thank you Serrow for the question, it is valid. As John said, I am looking for something I may be able to do on a payment plan. A lump sum just is not a reality! I never quite said that I would not pay off the $700 bill either. You see Serrow, bad things happen to good people. Sometimes they come short on their bills and that is just life!

I am not claiming to be an angel, I have done my share of good and continue to, but I have also done a fair share of bad. I fully plan on, over time, paying off the $700 bill. In fact, I talked to the electric company and we agreed on $20 a month until paid off (which will take years, but I plan to pay it off sooner)!

I do feel bad that things worked out the way they did, unfortunately, there are times when you run out of financial options. At those times you need to do the best you can which is usually short of what you want to do. As far as a Segway goes, as I said before, that would take priority in my structure of payments. The electric bill can and will wait (and slowly but surely will get lower and lower!).

There are some things that cannot wait quite as long. The ability to be mobile cannot wait. I would love to go downtown and cruise down State Street or visit the Capital. Unfortunately, due to mobility, these things were stripped from me. I have come to terms with this, but that does not mean I have to lay my hands down in defeat.

Every day I wake up and try to walk. Every day I fall down (much to the amusement of Boris)! But I will keep trying. Every day I look into options for a Segway. None have proven fruitful yet, but there will be a time. It is a priority for me to get a Segway, that is why I work so hard at it! Do I feel bad that there may come a time in which I put aside the Electric Bill so I can get a Segway, yes. Thank you for the question Serrow!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Skinnee D
Skinnee D is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default D is Puzzled

I don't know, man. I mean, mobility and gettin' around is one thing. But to "put aside " a power bill is another. This is the energy that cooks your food, lets you see in the dark, gives you heat ( if electric ), runs your computer, lets you watch reruns on the TV, etc. There are other forms of mobility that are less expensive UNTIL you get your Seg. I would feel more comfortable with the perks that food and shelter and electricity bring than being able to get around town a little faster and easier. What if this company will not let you run up a $700 bill and cut you off at the first sign of delinquency?? Then where does mobility get you??
Skinnee D is offline   Reply With Quote