SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default My first Segway crash.

It was not fun, it happened very quickly, but I was not hurt. Well my pride or dignity, may a little confidence? Fortunately, no videos. We were in a Texas state park on Sunday evening, we had been over a lot of the roadways. We went back to the motor home and my wife stayed, because her feet were hurting. I decided to try a walking/bike trail. I rode down the road to the trail end, but there were several exposed tree roots on the hill where the trail started. I started back to the MH and some kid came down the trail on a bike. I asked him if all of the trail had exposed roots, he said yes, but it was fun.

There was no way I could get up the hill so I started back to the MH. Then I saw another place to get on the trail. I went about a quarter of a mile and came to a gully, I made it down and back up the other side. About another 100 yards was another gully this one was not so steep but had a lot of tree roots. The only way to know is to give it a try. I hit one root with one wheel, the Segway jerked and I got one foot off the Segway and on the ground. I held it and got back on. There was a root running the same way as the path, I thought I can straddle this root, but then there were several more roots, I hit high center, it was a bumpy ride.

I realized this is not going to work. I stopped, got off, evaluated the return trip over the roots or around them. I decided if I zig here and zag there I can make it. WRONG, the next thing I know the front left side of my head is on the ground. It happens pretty fast, doesn't it. I was glad no one saw me. I had to drag the Segway about 50' up the hill past the roots. I got back on and made it back to the MH. It didn't hurt me or the Segway, it could have, but it didn't. I learned the some of the limits of me and the Segway.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

In my book, there are only two kinds of seggers.

1. Those who have fallen off their segway.

2. Those who lie about having fallen off their segway.

I suppose there could be a couple folks out there who don't fit these two categories, but I am confident that most do.

I am glad you did not get hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

As I think back, I should have told my wife where I was going, I was off the road far enough that I would have been hard to find, and I should have worn a helmet for off road. But, I am hear to learn, and learned.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
team222badbrad
team222badbrad is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Sounds like you need an x2.

Here's my watch out list off the top of my head:

big rocks, wet/mucky grass (sometimes not easily noticed), sticks, roots, potholes.

I once decided to go moonlight gliding and well I found a big pothole on a gravel road. No major damages to either of us, but it was an experience flying through the air!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
team222badbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
In my book, there are only two kinds of seggers.

1. Those who have fallen off their segway.

2. Those who lie about having fallen off their segway.

I suppose there could be a couple folks out there who don't fit these two categories, but I am confident that most do.

I am glad you did not get hurt.
Depends how you define a fall. I define a fall as any time you leave the Segway and do not land on your feet. It may not be the best definition, but it's the definition I use to record "falls" in my tour business and it at least allows me to clearly distinguish between a "fall" and someone just stepping off. I toyed with another definition of "Any time you leave a Segway unexpectedly" but that was too vague and most times people just step off.

With my current definition, I have never fallen from any Segway. I have had to step off once or twice. The first time riding my i2 backwards in 2006 the first time I tried it. Had to step off. But no biggie.

This doesn't make me better or worse than those who have fallen off - just lucky I guess. I'm sure the day will come. I'd hate to be left out of Karl's book

And, Rolacoy, glad you are ok following your tumble. We live and learn.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Glad you are okay. Consider it part of the the learning curve. You now have a better idea of what you can/should try on a seg. Been there myself, I am now more careful and have more respect for the seg and a better idea what it can do and what you shouldn't try. As long as you get up and keep going !
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Mamrax
Mamrax is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Welcome to the club.

I've got a few falls on the books. My worst was when I was trying to go around someone on my morning commute and they were wearing headphones. This involved me gliding with one tire in the grass. What I didn't see was the erosion area next to the sidewalk that was over grown with grass. The segway tire went down into it and it threw me to the sidewalk. My head bounced twice on the pavement. Luckily I was wearing a helmet and it split instead of my skull. Now I never glide without a helmet.

I have also developed a rule. "If I have to stop and think about how I'm going to glide over something, I get off and push."
Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

OK, gbrandwood, that seems like a good standard. Then on my trip on the trail I logged at least 3 step-offs and one fall. I would think that when your head hits the ground it is a fall. Some good suggestions. I knew I was on the edge, but sometimes you just have to find out yourself. I should have had a helmet, I did have my cell phone to call for help if I had broke something.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

My list of falls (in > 4000 miles) are in approximate order:
  1. High centering traversing a rut.
  2. Very steep hill covered in very loose dust. After the fall -- I tried to get up, and slid down the hill on my hands and knees. THAT hurt!
  3. Knocked off a path and down an steep canal embankment by a falling bicyclist. Falling was deliberate -- it kept me out of the water.
  4. Hitting the left wheel on a doorframe entering a bathroom with a pre-ADA narrow doorway and a crazed over-sexed door closer on steroids. Twice.
  5. Climbing up a steep bit of slushy snow.
  6. One wheel off the sidewalk onto slick wet grass to let pedestrians pass, attempting to turn back onto the sidewalk. The turn didn't happen with the expected timing, and I lost my balance (the only time I've lost my balance and fell, rather than the Segway losing the ability to balance. I've lost my balance -- but the Segway generally follows and gets back under, if you hang on for dear life!)

So high centering, losing traction, hitting something that blocks the forward motion, and falling bicyclists would be the primary dangers.

Tree roots can cause all four.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
...Hitting the left wheel on a doorframe entering a bathroom with a pre-ADA narrow doorway and a crazed over-sexed door closer on steroids. Twice...

I believe I understand the issue here, but having never personally experienced any sexed, over or not, door closers on or off steroids, I am morbidly curious. The only part I really got was the crazed part, as I seem to have experienced all manner of crazed encounters, from squirrels to little old ladies, and bikers to joggers.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote