SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default InfoKey Wristband by Funky Move just delivered

From what I've read so far, there are many different ways to secure the Infokey on and off the Segway. The manufacturer has introduce a support that bolts to the LeanSteer frame and the InfoKey can be attached or detached whenever the glider wants to.

However, in some cases and especially when gliding on rough terrain, there are many cases that the InfoKey can be detached and fell off. If the rider gets lucky he will notice it and pick up the InfoKey from the ground; damaged or undamaged.

Although there is also a significant number of users who don't have any issues as described above, I just can't take any chances from my side. Therefore, I keep the InfoKey in my pocket and whenever I want to check the battery level or any other additional information, I just take a peek out of the pocket and put the InfoKey back in.

Another alternative is the aftermarket solution of a wristband. There are many options out there, firstly introduced during a Segway event from Segway itself, if I'm not mistaken and for free that time. However, the quality of that particular wristband was not the best to be used on a long term.

Since then, there are other wristbands available out there such us the US and HK (Hong Kong) versions and an ebay option. There was also a DIY wristband attempt by a user of this board, but the InfoKey had to be modified.

Another fine product, is the wristband made by Funky Move, which looks as if it is an official Segway accessory; but that is not the case.

I could not resist, so I placed an order last week and got that wristband delivered today. It looks great and feels also very comfortable on the wrist, but only time will tell if it will be comfortable when gliding. It may be a great solution to attach the InfoKey on the LeanSteer frame support, and use also the wristband as a secondary attachment to secure it, just in case the InfoKey accidentally detaches; as few fellow gliders do.

So, here are some photos of that particular wristband by Funky Move attached to my InfoKey. I hope they can help you out, if you ever decide to get your hands on a wristband for your InfoKey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

reading you post, a question came to mind... I use the bracket on the leansteer to hold my infokey currently, but I have bumped it and knocked off the infokey a few times. Each time I saw it and retrieved it... But what happens if you DO lose the infokey while you are gliding. Does the seg just keep running until the battery dies ? what happens in that case, what do you do ?
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
goldwing_midland_tx
goldwing_midland_tx is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
reading you post, a question came to mind... I use the bracket on the leansteer to hold my infokey currently, but I have bumped it and knocked off the infokey a few times. Each time I saw it and retrieved it... But what happens if you DO lose the infokey while you are gliding. Does the seg just keep running until the battery dies ? what happens in that case, what do you do ?
Get it out of the balance mode and it will turn off after whatever time you have it set. I think the default is 15 minutes.

To get it out of balance mode, get off the platform, and let the Segway travel a little too fast and it will exit the balance mode. Just leave it alone and it will shut off. Of course you won't be able to turn it back on without the infokey.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

For those interested, I too use a wrist band for my info key. However, the wrist band uses the same back as the clip at the top of the lean steer, so it I mount it there, I simply reconnect the wristband around the lean steer frame as if it was my wrist, and if it bounces out of the plastic clip, it is still in the neighborhood.

(Mine did this just once, but it simply slid down the lean steer a couple inches to the bracket for the bag)

And to re-answer the latest question, the segway does not need the info key to continue to operate. I have left my info key at home by mistake when working around the house, then going for a quick errand. The segway works fine, but since you cannot turn it back on, I am careful not to turn it off.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
SLong
SLong is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

My wife and I also have the Funky-Move wrist bands. I won't glide without having the info key on my wrist. If it's on the lean steer, yes it might fall off and you will spend a LOT of money getting a replacement, but if you stop at a store, restaurant, etc. and forget to take the info key with you, if the Segway gets stolen, the thieves also have the key. It might take a longer period of time to retrieve your stolen Segway.

Steven Long
SLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I'm surprised if they can reproduce Segway's registered trademarks without license from Segway.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote