SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Disabled Where Can I Use Segway and Restrictions

Hello.I'm considering buying a Segway to help with mobility.I am concerned that i may not be able to use it in many public areas such as the mall or sidewalks etc.I do have a State issued handicapped parking placard that could be displayed if needed.I hesitate to proceed with the purchase if I am not able to use it in many public locations.What can I expect? Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

What sort of segway?

(66) "Electric personal assistive mobility device" (EPAMD) means a self-balancing, two nontandem-wheeled device, designed to transport only one person, with an electric propulsion system with average power of 750 watts (1 h.p.).

Start here for regulations:
The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 23 : Motor Vehicles
Chapter 013 : Operation Of Vehicles
Subchapter 012 : Operation Of Bicycles, Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices, And Play Vehicles
(Cite as: 23 V.S.A. § 1141a)

§ 1141a. Electric personal assistive mobility devices (EPAMD); required equipment; operation

(a) Equipment. An electric personal assistive mobility device shall be equipped as follows:

(1) with front, rear, and side reflectors; and

(2) with a system that will enable the operator to bring the device to a controlled stop; and

(3) if the device is operated between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise, with a lamp emitting a white light which, while the device is in motion, shall illuminate the area in front of the operator.

(b) Rights and duties of operator. The operator of an EPAMD shall have the rights and duties of pedestrians as set forth in subchapter 5 of chapter 13 of this title.

(c) Hazardous materials. No person shall carry or transport on an EPAMD, any hazardous materials as defined in 5 V.S.A. § 2001. Fines imposed for violations of this subsection shall be in accordance with fines imposed for violations of 5 V.S.A. § 2001.

(d) Nothing in this section shall limit the authority of a municipality under the provisions of 24 V.S.A. § 2291(1), (4), and (5) to regulate the use and operation of EPAMDs. (Added 2001, No. 91 (Adj. Sess.), § 8.)

Last edited by dale@thecoys.net; 01-28-2018 at 08:30 PM..
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber802 View Post
Hello.I'm considering buying a Segway to help with mobility.I am concerned that i may not be able to use it in many public areas such as the mall or sidewalks etc.I do have a State issued handicapped parking placard that could be displayed if needed.I hesitate to proceed with the purchase if I am not able to use it in many public locations.What can I expect? Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Next, check the laws/ordinances of your city. Then check the policies of the mall(s), etc.

I have found that most businesses (Walmart, Home Depot, etc.) allow Segways, if you are polite. But it's up to the individual business.

Some entertainment venues (Disney, etc.) do not allow Segways.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
plumber802

5 yr Member

Thanks Dale for your reply with the Vermont EPAMD statutes.I was hoping to find out if a business can deny access to a handicapped person who is using a Segway as a mobility aid.Not sure if it falls under the ADA rules.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
plumber802

5 yr Member

I think I found it:
https://www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm
Old 01-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #6
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Note the:

....unless a particular type of device cannot be accommodated because of legitimate safety requirements. Where legitimate safety requirements bar accommodation for a particular type of device, the covered entity must provide the service it offers in alternate ways if possible.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #7
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I've been using an I2 with a Segsaddle since 2010. I carry a copy of the ADA and a couple complaint forms in a clear envelope in my handlebar bag.

I've never had a problem in Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Grocery stores, fast food restaurants, our local zoo etc. I was challenged from behind in a McDonalds but when I turned around she saw my handicap sticker on my handlebar bag she apologized profusely.

I was barred from Mackinac Island in Michigan and the Columbia SC zoo. ADA complaints are in the works.

I asked before hand and was I was told I couldn't use it on the beach at Hunting Island, SC state park and a festival in Evart, MI. In both cases I told them I would file an ADA complaint and they gave me permission. The festival asked me to put a handicap sticker on it. I probably didn't have to do it but figured it would help me in other situations. They had barred bicycles and other vehicles and didn't want to deal with the fallout from allowing my Segway.

Call ahead if you might be inconvenienced if they tell you no. Be respectful but tell them Segways are permitted under ADA as a mobility device. You can file a complaint if they tell you "no" over the phone. Ask for their name, job title, phone#, etc. If you have to talk to several people before getting permission get the name and phone # of that person in case you're challenged once you are there.

You won't have many problems except for being stopped by everyone wanting to know about your "ride".

There is a " Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use" Forum here on Segway chat. A lot answered can be found there.

Jeff
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #8
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Is a wallet card that is issued with a handicap parking placard enough proof of disability or do you need a different kind of card.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
plumber802

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPMD View Post
I've been using an I2 with a Segsaddle since 2010. I carry a copy of the ADA and a couple complaint forms in a clear envelope in my handlebar bag.

I've never had a problem in Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Grocery stores, fast food restaurants, our local zoo etc. I was challenged from behind in a McDonalds but when I turned around she saw my handicap sticker on my handlebar bag she apologized profusely.

I was barred from Mackinac Island in Michigan and the Columbia SC zoo. ADA complaints are in the works.

I asked before hand and was I was told I couldn't use it on the beach at Hunting Island, SC state park and a festival in Evart, MI. In both cases I told them I would file an ADA complaint and they gave me permission. The festival asked me to put a handicap sticker on it. I probably didn't have to do it but figured it would help me in other situations. They had barred bicycles and other vehicles and didn't want to deal with the fallout from allowing my Segway.

Call ahead if you might be inconvenienced if they tell you no. Be respectful but tell them Segways are permitted under ADA as a mobility device. You can file a complaint if they tell you "no" over the phone. Ask for their name, job title, phone#, etc. If you have to talk to several people before getting permission get the name and phone # of that person in case you're challenged once you are there.

You won't have many problems except for being stopped by everyone wanting to know about your "ride".

There is a " Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use" Forum here on Segway chat. A lot answered can be found there.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff for the helpful info.I just ordered a new Segway I2 SE from Rick at Segway of Corvallis.Looking forward to having greater mobility.
I do have a spare handicap parking placard which I will display on my Segway.Great tip on the ADA complaint forms.I will be sure to print some and hopefully not have to use them.
-Andy.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
CROSSBOLT
CROSSBOLT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Get the card that hangs on the rear view mirror in a car and bolt it to the Segway. Works every time!

Karl
CROSSBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote