SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

*Thread hijack warning*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I would thinks that would be so, I'm just saying that, my PT, I cannot even put inside the train, whereas a more compact and less intimidating vehicle would not be a problem.

I've taken 2 PT's on an Amtrak once, (X2 and i2) and it took up all of the space for getting around, but with a solowheel or say a robin, you can put it almost anywhere.

I often take the train and bus/trolley, so I wish I could take my Segway but it is just too heavy and bulky, but a solowheel or robin would be a good option.
For places I can't take the Segway, I find this ingenius device works reeeely well :

http://www.bubblews.com/news/133325-...n-folding-bike
Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Thanks I never knew any of that!...When you rely on nothing but mobility devices Im allways hoping for somthing new and better...

I cant figure out how you get on it? from a seated posistion?
Standing. And I can confirm, from conversation with an owner, that the learning curve is steep and much longer than for the Segway.

It's a cool device, and I expect to see more of them, among the able-bodied. It looks like a lot of fun, and has some real practical advantages in its portability, quick charge, price, etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks, Bob. This is good to know. I've been curious about SoloWheels.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up

They have been officially released in the UK under the brand name "AirWheel". It looks identical to the Solowheel.

I'm very tempted to get one. They are proclaimed to be UK legal ("AirWheel is the only legal unit of its kind"). The smallest and cheapest unit has the shortest range (6-8 miles) which is a bit shorter than I'd like. Not sure I want stump-up for a more expensive model as a first purchase. A used one for starters would be good until I master it. The most expensive models says it will do 24-28 miles - and actually has 2 wheels - http://www.theairwheel.com/airwheel).

Has the OP any further comments to share about their experience with the unit?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I tried riding a co-workers. I struggled a lot and it took me 10 minutes to be able to go forward 20 feet. He said I was learning remarkably fast. Turning is a very delicate balancing act. Expect to fall a lot before actually being able to take it on a ride somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 07-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #16
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Please try before you buy, it's not as relex as Segway. I've spend 30 minutes try to master the thing but gave up in the end, as I don't want to break any bones.
Use the rope handle is easier to learn, but it is nowhere easy try to put the second foot on the paddle and take off, try to stop the wheel is anothet drama.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
I tried riding a co-workers. I struggled a lot and it took me 10 minutes to be able to go forward 20 feet. He said I was learning remarkably fast. Turning is a very delicate balancing act. Expect to fall a lot before actually being able to take it on a ride somewhere.
Thanks for this. Sounds like it will be tough. I take it actually having ridden a Segway is not much help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amimoto View Post
Please try before you buy, it's not as relex as Segway. I've spend 30 minutes try to master the thing but gave up in the end, as I don't want to break any bones.
Use the rope handle is easier to learn, but it is nowhere easy try to put the second foot on the paddle and take off, try to stop the wheel is anothet drama.
I won't get the chance to try before I buy. It was like that when I bought my first Segway hence I bought the Segway expecting to keep it for a few months and then sell it. That's what I did but it wasn't long before I bought another...

The dealer has some used ones. I might go for the cheapest one if the discount is good enough and if I master it, upgrade. Otherwise, pop it on eBay and hope I don't lose too much. In fact, eBay has people in the UK selling them much cheaper than the dealer, and they are new. But I think I'd rather support the official dealer if his used prices are reasonable. Will find out tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #18
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Having experience on the Segway will only help with your confidence in leaning forward. You will have almost no ability to turn (or correct in order to go straight) when you start. The things are really tough though, no problem jumping off and letting it fall over.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 07-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #19
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well, I bought one! My Segway days are not all behind me but this will keep me busy for the next week or two! I'll let you know how it goes. It will arrive next week. I could do with some bruises!

(my wife doesn't know yet)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #20
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Please use protective gear, a knee protection and gloves would be a good idea, as when you lose balance while turning, it's likely you hands and knee will have contact with ground.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP

Tags
crash, onewheel, ouch, solowheel