SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:24 AM   #51
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Jeff,

Thanks so much for posting that content. This is the first hard copy I have seen to support the anecdotal circulations that "the police have been instructed not to prosecute..." and it is helpful to see the whole context.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 AM   #52
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Would'nt it be even better if this kind of information was fed down to us dealers?
Now when we get asked about legality issues we can quote a minister saying there will be no prosecution providing you follow the "rules".

Now to continue the debate. Where I live there is an extensive route of "cycle lanes", which are highlighted in red, on the pavement. I wonder how we stand with regards to that? I personally always ride on these if I can.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #53
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Now to continue the debate. Where I live there is an extensive route of "cycle lanes", which are highlighted in red, on the pavement. I wonder how we stand with regards to that? I personally always ride on these if I can.
I think that this is what has also contributed to the problems of cycling on footpaths in the UK. Many local councils seem to create cycle paths (to hit "targets"?) by designating certain footpaths as dual purpose...then in other places they are solely for pedestrians.

And they wonder why there is confusion?

I agree that UK Segway use in general is best suited to locations where cycles are OK to use and a cycle lane separated from the rest of the motorised road traffic is a very good option for us. Does your network seem very well integrated? I find up here that some wider roads have a painted cycle lane that ends as the road narrows and its back to doing battle with the cars & lorries again.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #54
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Would'nt it be even better if this kind of information was fed down to us dealers?
Now when we get asked about legality issues we can quote a minister saying there will be no prosecution providing you follow the "rules".

So the unofficial rules are:
  1. Segways must be operated in a civilised mannner
  2. Segways must not be operated on pavements or pedestrian areas where the general public would be at risk
That second rule could mean - do not operate on pavements, or do not do so where the public would be at risk, which, if combined with rule number one, could mean they can be used on the pavement providing they do not people the public at risk, i.e. by riding them in a civilised manner (no swearing on them then ).

Cycles lanes are a good choice but there just arn't enough of them - and when they suddenly end, what do you do? Stay on (or join) the road or join the pavement - or just stop?

I would add further unofficial rules (which basically elaborate on rule #1 aboe)

Segways must:
  • always give way to pedestrians and riders in mobility scooters
  • never pass a pedestrian without sufficient space to safely pass
  • always operate at speeds suitable to their environment (i.e. walking speed when amongst/passing pedestrians)
  • [must be more]
(perhaps we could develop some gliding etiquette for the discerning UK glider)
Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #55
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovRob View Post
I think that this is what has also contributed to the problems of cycling on footpaths in the UK. Many local councils seem to create cycle paths (to hit "targets"?) by designating certain footpaths as dual purpose...then in other places they are solely for pedestrians.

And they wonder why there is confusion?

I agree that UK Segway use in general is best suited to locations where cycles are OK to use and a cycle lane separated from the rest of the motorised road traffic is a very good option for us. Does your network seem very well integrated? I find up here that some wider roads have a painted cycle lane that ends as the road narrows and its back to doing battle with the cars & lorries again.
Yes, we have an excellent network here, but there have been many millions spent on the urban environment. The whole town centre is being re configured, with more pedestrian friendly (inc cyclepath) areas being created. I am able to ride from my house to the centre of town, without going on a road.
If fact, we have a great cycle route that my daughter and I ride (cycle) thats about 4 miles with absolutely no traffic, lots of trees, a river and a great lake, so is very safe.

Southern Segway

Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #56
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
So the unofficial rules are:
  1. Segways must be operated in a civilised mannner
  2. Segways must not be operated on pavements or pedestrian areas where the general public would be at risk
That second rule could mean - do not operate on pavements, or do not do so where the public would be at risk, which, if combined with rule number one, could mean they can be used on the pavement providing they do not people the public at risk, i.e. by riding them in a civilised manner (no swearing on them then ).

Cycles lanes are a good choice but there just arn't enough of them - and when they suddenly end, what do you do? Stay on (or join) the road or join the pavement - or just stop?

I would add further unofficial rules (which basically elaborate on rule #1 aboe)

Segways must:
  • always give way to pedestrians and riders in mobility scooters
  • never pass a pedestrian without sufficient space to safely pass
  • always operate at speeds suitable to their environment (i.e. walking speed when amongst/passing pedestrians)
  • [must be more]
(perhaps we could develop some gliding etiquette for the discerning UK glider)

This could be along the lines of a suggestion I made about 18 months ago to SUK. I, as a dealer, would be happy to train all purchasers to a pre determined level, and issue some form of certificate.
Before everyone jumps up and down and starts saying it's unmanageable etc I made this suggestion to try and assist in the fight against our governments negative attitudes. I don't want to do it, but if it were to help.............

Southern Segway

Old 08-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #57
Rebooter
Rebooter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Hi Nick and others (I did mention this to you Nick in January, Gilwell) I was asked not to distribute the infomation nationally by my MP as he felt -if you read the letter that we are okay to ride it on one hand but be aware there is still no legislation. I do feel what he meant was, there was still a chance new owners (including the ASBO's)would flout the law (?) if they were told it would be okay to ride on highways.I also feel it may have something to do with the award I won and the ministers opinion was "okay-let's pacify him by replying to my irate letter with a semi-positive note" Who knows in the wheels of power how their minds work??? So it's slowly becoming positive also I have to go to Brussells in October to support my u.k. company on a banned machine-lets see how that goes?
Happy Gliding...
Jeff
Rebooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #58
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
[/color]

This could be along the lines of a suggestion I made about 18 months ago to SUK. I, as a dealer, would be happy to train all purchasers to a pre determined level, and issue some form of certificate.
Before everyone jumps up and down and starts saying it's unmanageable etc I made this suggestion to try and assist in the fight against our governments negative attitudes. I don't want to do it, but if it were to help.............
I think it's good you would be prepared to offer such a service, but I fear even just producing a business case to support how such an operation might run might be an almighty task in itself! Local councils have licensing departments, perhaps something could operate through them?

I like the idea of a voluntary code of conduct. In fact, I think I might add it to the petition site: "The Segway Code: Recommended etiquette for UK gliders to help them minimise risk, minimise negative reaction and maximise enjoyment of gliding in the UK." What will it achieve? Nothing much, but it will be fun to put together and (hopefully) will not do any harm. Just maybe it will help some people know how they should behave on the Segway out in the wild?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #59
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Last edited by gbrandwood; 08-21-2008 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Added hyperlink to image
gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #60
OregonForester
OregonForester will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Wow. What great read! (Much of it made my head hurt, but still a great read!)

It's interesting to see just what legal obstacles others have, and how they are able to deal with them.

I shall watch this post, just to see any updates.

Being of Irish descent, I cannot but wonder just what restrictions exist in the Emerald Isle.