SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
byped
byped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timezkware Tim View Post
Clearly, this is a recreation vehicle. I think it's great because the big picture is that a large, well respected company is incorporating Segwaylike balance technology, which supports a Segway's usefulness as a product.

I wonder how it will work going uphill?

I can't wait until battery and motor technology allows for these to be small enough to be attached to your shoes, with tiny wheels, lol.

Tim
Self balancing non-tandem single axle roller skates.... or - inline skates with only one wheel each.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Clearly, this is a recreation vehicle. I think it's great because the big picture is that a large, well respected company is incorporating Segwaylike balance technology, which supports a Segway's usefulness as a product.

I can't wait until battery and motor technology allows for these to be small enough to be attached to your shoes, with tiny wheels, lol.

Tim
Seems like the self balancing technology would be functional on a no-axis platform too, like, say a solid rubber ball the size of a PC mouse ball turned by four opposing motors embedded in a shoe. That would be COOOL!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 01-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #13
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It's pretty clear this machine is designed for a completly different market then the PT. I imagine it will be quite a bit cheaper with Sony behind it and I just hope that it's "similar" technology doesn't get confused with Segway when folks start getting hurt on it. If the "Gen X" generation is the target audiance and the price winds up under $1000 per unit, it will probably start a revolving door at the Emergency rooms. But it does look "kool" . Will Sony call it the "Street Surfer"?

Quote:

Tim

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #14
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2526 View Post
Doesn't seem very stable, balance is already a major issue, with nothing to lean or grab onto, it's not going to work very well.
Good point, Cody. Regular skateboards aren't such a safety issue, because you can step/jump off pretty easily. With the Sony thing, the wheels keep your feet in, similar to a Segway. With no CS to grab, it seems much easier to go flying. Speed and turning range would have to be limited to accomodate the least amount of falls, but they would still happen more than a regular skateboard. I won't really know until I try one, but this seems to be an issue.

Tim
Old 01-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #15
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Talking ouch !!

That's hard to say. Many have wanted a "hands free Segway" for a long time.

Again, this is an apples and oranges deal, these products are not the same nor will appeal to the same market.

You guys try one out and let me know how it works out.
Maybe after your ride you'll need a "gimp sticker" for your Seg !!!

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
Cody2526
Cody2526 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Aside from the obvious safety concerns, I think the biggest issue is the overall quality. Sny has been known to use parts that will be worn out by the time the next new major product comes out from them. Timing is nearly perfect, the old one breaks a bit after the new one is out and available.

Also, the price. They will either add cheap parts at competitive prices with Segway, or will be a bit more expensive, although I doubt the overall quality and amount of parts is enough to be more than trhe Segway currently is, this thing won't be very cheap.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #17
drmarty
drmarty has a spectacular aura aboutdrmarty has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

And of course if they have a zillion of these out zooming around hurting riders and pedestrians that won't help our cause at all.

Look at the National Mall issue right now. They are lumping Segways with electric scooters. OUCH.

We shall see.

Marty
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #18
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Maybe it will make a Seg look safer to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarty View Post
And of course if they have a zillion of these out zooming around hurting riders and pedestrians that won't help our cause at all.

Look at the National Mall issue right now. They are lumping Segways with electric scooters. OUCH.

We shall see.

Marty
There is a part of me that thinks just the opposite.

When kids, even grown ones, start to fall off these things it will just make the Segway safety record stronger.

Who knows, but I think the more "self balancing" devices would help break down the fear of the unknown.

Be Big,
Alan

Old 01-08-2007, 01:54 AM   #19
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Braver folk can use two separate boards – one for each foot, like powered roller skates.
Powered, but only for lighting, not motion:

http://www.skatebuds.com/

Skate Buds The Movie

Possibly the least stable rolling platform possible.

At least the kids are wearing helmets and pads.

I dunno, maybe this one is the least stable:

The WAVE Street Surfboard

Last edited by bystander; 01-08-2007 at 02:04 AM..