SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Sony may get into the fray

http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...ts-segway.html
Old 01-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The description of how the device works doesn't really bode for any sort of stability. This is a device that is essentially a non tandem skateboard, which is purely recreational.

According to the description, if the sensors measure the pressure reading to tell the motors to be idle, then this beast is obviously not stabilizing the rider.

Fun, maybe...

-Sal
Old 01-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Interesting concept but if the Segway is "hard" to drive and "unsafe" what will a skateboard version be?

Steven
Old 01-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

my firewall is preventing my from looking at the pictures of it - any chance one of you can screen cap it and post it?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 01-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
Cody2526
Cody2526 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Doesn't look stable.

Whats a skateboards with 2 wheels that you put pressure on pads to use going to be called if most places consider the Segway as a sor tof out of control scooter that'll topple and go insane any second?

Doesn't seem very stable, balance is already a major issue, with nothing to lean or grab onto, it's not going to work very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Thumbs up Looks Great.....

Looks cool, fits the Ipod era and Sony would know how to market it to the young crowd at a sell-able price point.

It could be a big seller with the X-TREEM crowd.

But now we are talking apples and oranges, the two products have nothing in common.

It would sell great, remember those that will buy one wouldn't care about being thrown off the streets, they are already used to that treatment.

Be Big,
Alan

Old 01-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
my firewall is preventing my from looking at the pictures of it - any chance one of you can screen cap it and post it?
Invention: Skateboard meets Segway
  • 15:46 02 January 2007
  • NewScientist.com news service
  • Barry Fox

Tools
Enlarge image
Each wheel of the skateboards in Sony's patent have their own motor

Web Links http://adserver.adtech.de/?adserv|2....43024;loc=300;

Patents reveal that Sony hopes to compete with the Segway Human Transporter. Whether Sony’s new motor-powered, balance-steered skateboard will be easier to ride remains to be seen.
The new board has two large wheels, one at either side of a flat platform. Each wheel is powered by a separate electric motor.
The platform has four pressure sensors, one at each corner. When the rider stands upright in the middle of the board, all four sensors return the same reading and both motors are idle. When the rider leans forward slightly the front sensors start both motors running forward at the same speed; leaning to one side makes one wheel run faster to steer round a corner; leaning back runs the contraption backwards.
Learners or sissies can use a modified board with three or four wheels for more stability. Braver folk can use two separate boards – one for each foot, like powered roller skates.
Read Sony's full skateboard patent application.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timezkware Tim View Post
Invention: Skateboard meets Segway
  • 15:46 02 January 2007
  • NewScientist.com news service
  • Barry Fox

Tools
Enlarge image
Each wheel of the skateboards in Sony's patent have their own motor

Web Linkshttp://adserver.adtech.de/?adserv|2....43024;loc=300;

Patents reveal that Sony hopes to compete with the Segway Human Transporter. Whether Sony’s new motor-powered, balance-steered skateboard will be easier to ride remains to be seen.
The new board has two large wheels, one at either side of a flat platform. Each wheel is powered by a separate electric motor.
The platform has four pressure sensors, one at each corner. When the rider stands upright in the middle of the board, all four sensors return the same reading and both motors are idle. When the rider leans forward slightly the front sensors start both motors running forward at the same speed; leaning to one side makes one wheel run faster to steer round a corner; leaning back runs the contraption backwards.
Learners or sissies can use a modified board with three or four wheels for more stability. Braver folk can use two separate boards – one for each foot, like powered roller skates.
Read Sony's full skateboard patent application.
That was awesome - thanks Tim. Tried to give you creds but apparently I need to spread the love before I can do that again! I appreciate it - damned corporate laptop!

Happy New Year
+B

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
sombody
sombody will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Speed freaks

Well for everyone itching for more speed - here it is. I think DEKA knew the non tandem set up just cant safely go faster than 12 +

I expect even faster stuff will come eventually.
Not talking on your cell would be advised and drinking your Starbucks out of the question

I think Segway will even eventually develop somthing with out the Cs (called the sissy stick by the street luge riders) It might not even be called Segway

rick
Old 01-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Clearly, this is a recreation vehicle. I think it's great because the big picture is that a large, well respected company is incorporating Segwaylike balance technology, which supports a Segway's usefulness as a product.

I wonder how it will work going uphill?

I can't wait until battery and motor technology allows for these to be small enough to be attached to your shoes, with tiny wheels, lol.

Tim