SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #161
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcheung View Post
why didn't i do this sooner? oh yeah...the price tag. well, just dove in for two i2's...awesome! so where do you all hang out in socal?
Hang out? Hmmm, hang out isn't the right phrase; it implies we do stuff on a regular basis.

We're very irregular; maybe it's the cheese.

Somebody might put up a notice that he wants to do a particular ride on a day and it just kinda goes from there. For instance, here is one we recently did.

Just log in and keep your eyes out and hopefully you'll see one that works for ya. Although I have to say it's going to be sort of rough for the next few weeks during the holidays. Most people have stuff to do right now, but shortly afterward (or even the period between Christmas and New Year's) I'd love to do something.

And then the rains will come.

Oh . . . one more thing . . .

Google Earth is a great resource for trying to figure out what YOU might want to do. I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to the group rides, but already I've been able to coax a few people out to do stuff -I've- wanted to that I first found via Google Earth.

Last edited by quade; 12-08-2007 at 09:20 PM..
Old 12-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #162
frontline
frontline is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hey everyone,

My security company bought an X2 around April '07 for a outdoor shopping mall. Basically the customer said, "I like those Segways. Can you get one of those?" My thought was...a YES for a contract like that!

Our X2 is great. It is used daily for at least 6-8hrs per day. No problems at all, except for my employees dropping the key and me performing major surgery on it because the buttons stuck.

I hope to buy a 2nd soon for another site!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #163
dionysus
dionysus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default New in Portland, Oregon

Hey there, new here in Portland, Oregon. Have 1 i180 and looking for a second now for my other half (rides alone aren't as fun!). Would love to be included on any possible "Glides" in the area, or even leads on finding another i180 to complete my set. Actually had bought one while on business in LA and it turned out to be stolen, turned it into police so I guess it's soon to be back with it's righful owner in the LA area. Wow, bad experience, lost money, but that's not stopping me! Loving the Segway!

Corey Payne
Portland, OR
Old 12-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #164
GARY44
GARY44 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New owner of I2 - Coral Springs, Fl

I just bought my first Segway today. I've wanted one since it was first introduced, but never could justify buying one. My wife and I had a great Segway tour in Prague, Chech Republic a couple of months ago, and that was the last draw. I bought one today from Riva in Fort Lauderdale and can't wait to start gliding. Are there any groups of Segway owners in South Florida?

Gary
Old 12-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #165
verogolfer
verogolfer is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default new i2 owner in Vero Beach

Here's the basics.

Bought the i2 with the golf attachment in early October 2007 from Segway of Northern New England. In Oct. and Nov. played a couple of dozen rounds with it in NH and MA. Shipped it to Vero Beach late Nov. & spent 2 weeks early Dec. in Vero Beach with the Segway as my sole means of transport. "Segway man" has been everywhere, to the golf courses, the beaches, the bars, the restaurants, and the malls. About 450 miles so far.

Golf-
NH - played Waukewan Golf CLub, my home course, was welcomed by owners & players alike.
MA - have played Stow Acres, Wayland Country Club, Sandy Burr, was welcomed by management and players. Butternut Farm ran me off, citing 'insurance' issues if I hit a pothole.
Vero - haven't ridden on a Vero Beach course yet; distance is an issue. 8 miles each way to the course, plus the 18 holes, could leave me fully discharged halfway home. Sandridge would let me ride to play at regular cart rates, but don't want me to plug in while I play and draw county electricity for free. Pointe West lets me plug in & play, but must use their carts. Might be different for a Pointe West "Member".

More later -

vbg

Last edited by verogolfer; 12-29-2007 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: golf comments lost earlier
Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #166
verogolfer

5 yr Member
Default trial and tribulations

Hi all -

I appreciate finding your chat forums. Info so far seems very helpful. I have summarized my initial experiences & issues with the Segway below, comments & feedback advice appreciated.

- I mounted the golf kit with the bag on the left. Much easier to stop at the ball, select club, play, and move on. Don't know what Segway was thinking putting the bag on the right.

- The bag attachment has some dubious engineering that can cause falls. First time, the axial connectors weren't full tight & shook apart. Turning a corner the bag unit separated, went flying one way, me the other. Had to backtrack 200 yards to find the angled bolt part. Second time, was crossing a bridge over the inland waterway on the sidewalk - the walk has a U-shaped concrete barrier 3 feet high on each side and is about 5 feet wide. Hit a joint bump at full speed; the Segway wandered over to the side & the golf unit upper bag holder scraped the side of the barrier. Couldn't recover, nasty fall. Would be better if this plastic piece folded back when no bag was on board.

- The golf score card attachment isn't very secure, wobbles a lot. I ended up drilling it and adding a screw into the center of the accessory bar.

- Tools - Segway NNE gave me 5mm and 3mm Allen wrenches saying that's all I needed. Sorry, the golf score card/accessory bar takes a 2.5mm wrench, and the lower cargo frame bolts take a 4mm wrench.

- Bolts - I lost a lower cargo frame bolt & was able to find a suitable metric replacement at the local Lowe's. Same length and thread count, but a barrel head instead of the rounded head. 5mm wrench. I bought some spares.

- I have the same trouble others have reported checking air pressure in the tires. Really awkward. Like your idea of using extenders, will try next month. Bought a low pressure tire gauge, but it doesn't work well, so I have no idea what tire pressure I'm actually using. Unit seems to ride OK, though.

- I got a small golf 'back pack' instead of the expensive Segway handlebar bag. Has two compartments with zippers, the upper I use for gloves, tools, jacket etc. and the lower is cold insulated, about the size of a six pack. I use this for my recharge cord and locking cable. The pack has mesh pockets on the side (for my coffee). (Yes I've mastered drinking coffee while riding...) The pack velcros onto the top and around the back of the leansteer stick just fine, $25.

- I added a 4' computer extension cord to the standard recharge cord; much handier length now.

- CLearance - I don't take the golf bag unit off (see above), tho Segway + attachment is 34 inches wide, and my condo doorway is a 36 inch door with a net opening of 33 1/2 inches. Muscle job to get it in at night. Again, it would be nice if the upper golf bag holder folded back.

vbg
Old 12-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #167
verogolfer

5 yr Member
Default Music too

Hi all again...

- I'm also a musician. Ginned up a quick and dirty wooden adapter so I could carry my amp on the Segway golf attachment. Have done two gigs by Segway, amp bungeed on to the golf kit, me with guitar/gig bag on my back, wireless mike & cords in the gig bag, music stand bungeed on the other side. Priceless ... Doing Segway demos on my breaks...

Any other Segway musicians out there?

- Sent Segway a note about my 'first', riding my Segway to a gig (twice) with the amp onboard. Got back an unfriendly canned reply about my not messing with the safety designs and engineering of their products... boy did they ever 'not get it'. I replied offering to discuss the engineering flaws in the golf kit design that cause falls with a 'real person'. Haven't heard back.

- I have a distinct 'wobble' in my right wheel. Anyone know how to fix?

vbg
Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #168
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Wheel Wobble

See the following:

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthr...ghlight=wobble

There are other threads as well on this subject. Use the search function (located in the blue bar at the top of the page) and put "wobble" in the search box.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #169
tomhound1969
tomhound1969 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs up New i2 glider in Oregon

Hello...I first saw the Segway in Santa Monica, CA. It was being expertly ridden by a police officer and I was immediately drawn to it. Then, years later I was visiting Seattle Center in WA and a friendly guy was letting people try out his Segway. My girlfriend and I asked to try it and we both loved it.

Well, it's been a few years since riding one but I was interested in checking them out. After seeing a used one right after someone else bought it and missing out on that one, I decided to dive in with an i2.

I'd be thrilled to glide with Oregonians.

Tom
Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #170
Macaholic
Macaholic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have to represent the East
This 2 wheel contraption has intrigued me from the very beginning and when a friend mention wanting one a few months ago the bug bit so I finally bought an X2. I envision using it on bike trails at a nearby state park.

Any gliders in the Raleigh area...let me know!
Closed Thread