SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The nice thing about a public forum is that a poster can share as much or as little as he wants, and there will always be someone who thinks it was too much or not enough.

I am also familiar with people who say they will do something, who say they know the better way to do this or that, and months later, I have very little to show for my patience, time and money. That is the way the world works.

I wish we all have a good glide, and we continue to have the opportunity to post what we want, and to walk away from posts that do not do it for us...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your input.

Others (out there in Internet land) have posted videos of handlebar mounted headlights and I wanted to show the difference that the lower lean steer mounting position presents. I believe my video illustrates this point quiet well.

be safe...
enjoy your glide

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Your video shows nothing. That's what people are trying to tell you. Your video is to illustration as silence is to music.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #14
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

If one (or a few) chooses not to "see" or "feel the difference" in the positioning of the handlebar mounted headlights versus the lower lean steer frame mounting position that's fine.

Maybe I failed to make my point clear. The video was NOT to be about what kind, type, style or price of a particular headlight or mount. It was made deliberately at night (in the darkness) to illustrate the difference between handlebars and the lower lean steer frame positioning.

It WAS more about the mount positioning (handlebar versus lower lean steer frame), the point of which no one so far has care to address.

Thank you all.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #15
Tx-Rider
Tx-Rider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Explain what the difference between the two set-ups were. I couldn't tell the difference by watching the video.

Ps, stay away from squirrels...

Peace, Love, & Segways
Tx-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #16
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

I haven't tried positioning a headlight down low yet, but I would imagine you would get less light reflected (due to the angle of approach) and so less visibility of the ground ahead.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #17
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have mounted lights high and low for years. There have been many threads about the merits of mounting the lights at different heights.

Personally, I have lights mounted at different heights for different reasons.

My primary forward white light (a 5 watt digital segway light made my dinolte) is mounted on my cargo frame over the left wheel. The matching 5 watt rear light is mounted on the same cargo frame facing to the rear.

I have a 3 watt and 5 watt option on the front light, and generally use 5. I have several options for the red rear light as well, and generally use the 5 watt blinking. Many have said it is down right annoying to follow me at night, as the light is so bright and flashes in a way that is hard to miss. I love this light for this very reason.

I also have white lights in the form of a band of bright white LEDs mounted on the platform front, at the point where the batteries meet the platform. I have a matching band of red LEDs on the platform rear.

I further have some bright green LEDs in the batteries void area in the middle of the bottom of the segway. This illuminates the sidewalk or roadway directly beneath the machine.

Lastly, I have a handlebar mounted light or more, mounted at the highest point on my lean steer, actually above all on an accessory bar.

From the bottom up, all have their uses and capacities.

The green LEDs shine straight down, and while this is a personal choice, and perhaps the most fashion driven light system, it is none the less very noticeable to most people. It makes the machine seem to be floating on a green cloud.

The white in front, and red in back line of LEDs is to aide observers and drivers to easily be able to tell if I am coming or going. The segway when seen at night is often hard to judge some of the movements. I prefer that others see me well, and this traditional lighting concept is easy to understand.

Furthermore, because it is only 6 inches over the ground, the angle of lighting is very flat. Because of this, it highlights many surfaces that may otherwise be missed. Any small rock, or uneven sidewalk seam is well identified by its shadow.

Next up in height, over the wheels, so about 2 feet, is my headlight and tail light. Like most with those names, the primary function of my head light is to light my way. This is an angle of lighting that I prefer, again, it gives me a good angle on what I am gliding toward. My tail light is primarily to alert others to my being there, and to avoid getting hit by them.

Both these lights are about the same height as the lights on my car, or there abouts.

Up higher is the light or lights on my handlebar. These are high enough, and move with the leansteer, and become my directable spots, and are used kind of like high beams, to help me differentiate different obstacles in my path.

This last set is bike height, which sets an okay expectation from motorists, but I did not want it to be my only presentation.

Again, most of these lights have been discussed in other threads, but most are from years ago. It is a very valid topic for this ever renewing forum participants.

One other consideration to make when mounting lights is that the machine pivots when moving. If you mount a light that you like on the machine, and finds it shines exactly where you want it to while gliding 6 miles per hour, it will shine closer to the segway when going faster, and farther away when going slow, or something like that. (I prefer to have the lights look out farther in front of me while going faster, and closer to the segway when going slower.) Your focal point needs to be farther forward when going fast, as compared to slow.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 12-14-2010 at 01:00 AM..
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:44 AM   #18
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob yarbrough View Post
eJM
My understanding (as little as it may be) after my years of opthamology visits is that even with corrective vision potentially night time vision may present difficulties. I based my statement on your description of the video (including particularly the first minute of the video), since you did not seem to discern a difference in the lighting.

Basically, YES, I know I'm being an "***" by not publicizing my home-made projects, and I know someone will eventually "produce" the same or very similar designs that I did. One of my early contacts offered me web page space on his site, nothing more. Of course that would have meant he would then know the design. A local gentleman somehow associated with Segway of Richmond offered to build a prototype of my "PONY SEAT". I showed him the seat, he took pictures and after a year of repeated excuses with nothing of any substance to show, an additional year of no contact from this gentleman has past.
I hope you may understand my reluctance to show what I have in home-made(only) form. They do work quiet well in that form but until someone can turn these projects into a finished prototype I'll just have to be content to sit on the sidelines.

Thanks,
sorry for my blabbing but it feels good to get it off my chest.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy
Bob, I believe I have met you in the past and seen your seat while shrouded.
A couple of helpful hints:
1. Segway of Richmond is bad news according to everyone I've talked to that's dealt with them.
2. Having designed segway seat myself, do yourself a favor, if you really want to see a prototype built then go to someone impartial to do it. If you are at all concerned about someone stealing your design, then it doesn't make sense to contract someone targeting your same customer demographic to build it. My advice would be to go to a local metal company that's looking for some spare work and have them build it. Personally, I had my design prototyped at Northrop Grumman as part of a mentorship and no one in the machine shop has tried to steal it.
3. Lighten up, this is a segway seat here, it's not as if you've discovered cold fusion. If your seat is so easily replicated that you can't even use it in public without a shroud, then people are just going to copy it off of the patent drawings.
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #19
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Furthermore, because it is only 6 inches over the ground, the angle of lighting is very flat. Because of this, it highlights many surfaces that may otherwise be missed. Any small rock, or uneven sidewalk seam is well identified by its shadow.
Interesting, that's an aspect of a low mounted light that I had not considered. This motivates me to finally install a light in place of the emblem on the leansteer pivot. I always thought it seemed like a natural place for one.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #20
bjorn
bjorn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Personally, I have lights mounted at different heights for different reasons.

My primary forward white light...

...long list of lights...

This last set is bike height, which sets an okay expectation from motorists, but I did not want it to be my only presentation.
So, basically, what you are saying is that you're like a mobile xmas-tree when you're out gliding in the (previously) dark? Got it!

Would it be possible to hook the lights into the Seg's battery?

I don't need much in the way of lights myself, I live in an area with lots of bike/pedestrian paths, most of which have street lights, so I only need the minimum lights to keep legal and visible, but if you're going to be a shining beacon in the dark, I figure the Seg's battery would be an excellent power source? Shouldn't diminish your range by much either, well, unless you go really crazy.
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote