SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
An I2 doesn't make any attempt to 'self balance' (with or without the handlebar) unless it has a rider aboard with his/her feet on the pads - Then it balances perfectly of course, despite the handlebar and whether or not you have your hands on the handlebar. In order for it to stand still without a rider, it's gotta have a kickstand or be leaning against something - That's not what I would call 'riderless self balancing' despite what the manual may say

Don
Makes sense. It should just fall over if one lets go of the bar while not on it. The minipro will try to stay upright by powering forward to get under the Handlebar. Eventually powering away faster than most people can run.

At 46 minutes into the Ironman movie, Jeff Bridges character comes riding up on a Segway i2 and steps off to walk into the reactor building. He just leaves the Segway and it stays upright and rolling forward. Tony Stark's chauffeur reaches out to catch it. I would like to see what it would do if not caught by the minions.

Power move to ride around your plant on a Segway, smoking a cigar, without a helmet and expect workers to catch the device when you hop off and walk away. Good scene for the character.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

As far as I know, for all of the original (Gen1 and Gen2) Segways - although there are sensors for pressure from both feet, having ONE foot on the platform is sufficient to tell the Segway that there is a rider present.

Other than that, there is no generalization about behavior if the rider dismounts, or before the rider mounts, or other situations.

It depends on the model of the Segway. For instance, as you might suspect, the behavior of the Police/Patroller is quite different from some other models.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #13
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
As far as I know, for all of the original (Gen1 and Gen2) Segways - although there are sensors for pressure from both feet, having ONE foot on the platform is sufficient to tell the Segway that there is a rider present.
I had to double check - You are correct (of course) Dale that only one foot is needed. I would have sworn that ours beep a warning when you raise one foot off the pads . . . . but they don't. Sorry for any misinformation on my part

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

As I recall, as a past Dealer, a Segway knows whether or not there are no feet, 1 foot or both feet.
It makes appropriate decisions.

No feet = nobody aboard.
2 feet = normal operation

1 foot = interesting.
If you are cornering and it sees a transitions from 2 to 1, then it assumes you are near the boundary of rider control, and eases the steering, but continues to run.
I think that if there's only 1 foot, max speed is reduced.
Interesting stuff like that.

Season's Greetings
Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Since we are talking about it, lets not forget about my e-167. It was a gen one segway that would balance if you were on it or not. It 'self parked' while on.

I loved it, and would still have it had it been a gen 2 unit. (I had both at one point, and the lean steer won out over the riderless balance feature.)

A standard segway, of the original design factor with a central upright or a lean steer, will stay in balance mode for a short while after you get off, but because of the handlebar shaft being mounted forward of center, it will lean forward and drive forward on its own.

However, it has a 10 foot 'leash' and will not glide farther than that with no rider sensors depressed, and shut down.

This way, if you step off the segway, it will not immediately shut down and fall on you. Instead, it will glide away a short distance, and fall on its own.

Of course, these are the old rules. The newer units will likely do other things, I am not familiar with...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:12 PM   #16
electrijim
First Timer
electrijim

5 yr Member

Karl, you are correct about everything, such as the 10 foot leash rule. You went on to say "these are the old rules. The newer units will likely do other things ..." Not so. the Gen 1, Gen 2, the i2SE (which came out in 2014, and I call Gen 3), and the Segway/Ninebot Elite+ all follow the 10 foot leash rule. Of course, the miniPro doesn't follow the rule, since it balances with the knee-steer bar. However, if you replace the knee-steer with one of the 3rd party full-size handlebars, it falls over forward almost immediately if you get off. So apparently its software does not understand why it can't balance when you get off, so it exits balance mode.
electrijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #17
electrijim
First Timer
electrijim

5 yr Member

Michael, at first I didn't agree with what you said about 1 foot riding, because I always thought my Segways (I've owned 5), all worked the same whether I was depressing 1, 2, 3, or all 4 Ride Detect Sensors. However, I just downloaded the i2SE manual. It agrees with you that if less than 3 sensors (thus meaning one foot) are depressed, the Speed Limiter is reduced. It doesn't mention turning rate, but the reduction you mentioned would make sense. Also, it says that if 2 of the 4 sensors are not detected, it displays two footprints on the Info Key, which means Rider Detect Error. And it says that in Turtle Mode, if less than 2 sensors are depressed (presumably meaning one sensor), it reduces the turning rate to 15%, which allows beginners to mount while yanking on the LeanSteer bar, which we all know beginners love to do until they fall off. Normal LeanSteer sensitivity in Turtle Mode is 55%.
electrijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:49 PM   #18
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

With Gen 2s (although I haven’t tried SE), they don’t start balancing until someone steps on them - but getting off of them does not automatically stop the balancing and put them in the same mode as when they started up. Instead, they remain in Power-Assist mode, which is designed to help you walk with the Segway. You can use the LeanSteer in this mode and the Segway will move itself according to your commands.

This mode is what makes the question confusing, because technically it actually is still self-balancing (it keeps itself upright and rolling) - but you can’t use it to just keep the Segway in one place, because even the slightest tilt or incline makes it move.

If you do want to get completely out of balance mode, you can either use the InfoKey or grab the right handlebar and take five steps straight forward.

With Gen 1s, there is a physical button to switch between modes.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #19
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

.....and the Generation 2 (and SE) Patroller models act entirely differently, when the rider dismounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
With Gen 2s (although I haven’t tried SE), they don’t start balancing until someone steps on them - but getting off of them does not automatically stop the balancing and put them in the same mode as when they started up. Instead, they remain in Power-Assist mode, which is designed to help you walk with the Segway. You can use the LeanSteer in this mode and the Segway will move itself according to your commands.
Or, you can step back onto the platform and resume gliding as usual.

Or, you can lean it against some stationary object, and it will politely stay there until you get back on the platform. I use that mode when I glide to the big neighborhood mailbox to get my mail.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote