SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
kylefeller1
kylefeller1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Its a Miracle!

So I finally got the seg of my dreams a p133! I have had an i2 I bought new to replace my trusty i170 (which I gave to my dad) it has been my daily driver for about 5 years, and ever since more lost and forgotten Gen1 machines have found a warm dry place to sleep in my basement. a few weeks ago i was able to acquire a group of 3 "broken" segs for next to nothing from the the science center who just closed its segway program! I was happy to open my doors to another group of orphan segs! among this group was a P133 which had sat on display not being used for at least 8 years (it had broken handlebars with the Hypertronic connector) but other then that it looks beautiful! so after paying INC $45 for the key code i charged the batteries which where completely drained one read 3v the other read something like 23v anyway i charged them up changed out the hangle bars with an i167 i have,i fire it up expecting the batteries to get me maybe to the end of my driveway and presto!! it works! not only a little, the batteries are amazing! i must of road it for a half an hour around my block up and down big hills and when i got back home only the first bar was down! its a miracle! what would cause these batteries to survive when all the others have died! that i170 I bought new in 04 and gave to my dad the batteries are tost! and he rides it almost everyday in the summer! so my question is to you all is WHY! what makes these batteries so special? why did they last! where all others have failed? was it because they where drained? kept warm? it boggles my mind! any help in solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Kyle
kylefeller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

NmHi vs. Li-Ion. Nickel batteries don't seem to die when left alone. They seem to be able to go to zero volts without damage.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
kylefeller1

Thanks for the reply!
That's interesting because the NiMh batteries I have seen in the past that have just sat in the closet for years with no use are usually toast! Perhaps there was something else that caused them to die. What causes a NiMh to die? Just charge cycles? How dose time factor in? I always used the motto if you don't use it you lose it I could very well be wrong! I would love to know the real answer!

Thanks!
Kyle
Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylefeller1 View Post
Thanks for the reply!
That's interesting because the NiMh batteries I have seen in the past that have just sat in the closet for years with no use are usually toast! Perhaps there was something else that caused them to die. What causes a NiMh to die? Just charge cycles? How dose time factor in? I always used the motto if you don't use it you lose it I could very well be wrong! I would love to know the real answer!

Thanks!
Kyle
Here are some pretty good papers on the subject.

Inside the Nickel Metal Hydride Battery

Nickel Metal Hydride Handbook and Application Manual

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jgbackes; 03-29-2013 at 01:10 PM..
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
kylefeller1

Awesome! Thanks!

Kyle
Old 04-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

As long as the battery is store in Dry and warm place (on a display with spot light) is perfect condition, the Ni-Mh would live for long time and won't be damaged my over discharging, even if the battery is dead, rebuild isn't a problem at all, ask around and the helping hand will surface.

P133 is so rare nowaday, you are so lucky to own a working unit.
Maybe the range is not that great but consider the ultra light weight to be lift up and store inside the boot, Also able to travel with you on domestic and international flight, P133 is a gem.

I just rebuild trashed 11 years old unit from ground up for a friend with custom designed paint work, and he just loved it.

Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, gen1, p133