SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
skyaker
skyaker is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Hello from Mississippi

Hi,
My name is Brian. I first got introduced to the segway technology before the segway was introduced. I bumped into Dean Kamen at Oshkosh at the engstrom helicopter exhibit; he was on his ibot wheelchair doing some testing in the general public. I was manning my university's aerospace engineering booth and stopped mid-sentence when I first saw the ibot, not believing what I just saw. I had an interesting conversation with him and I followed Dean's company ever since. I was glad when they segway was released but being a college student couldn't afford one. Little did I know that years later that would change by walking into a local salvage/surplus store.

They were sitting in the front window to entice people into the store-3 Segway XT's they were marked 50% off of $5600, I knew what they were and what they were worth. After answering several questions to onlookers and hearing the dreaded "those rims would be great on my 4 wheeler" I figured I would try something to get them, I asked to see the manager. I tried and tried to get them for a price that if they didn't work, I could part them out and break even, no luck even with cash in hand. The store drops its non sale items often so I asked the manager to call me once they hit 80% off and I would pick up all 3 units. I gave him my business card and waited. 3weeks later, I got the call; I purchased them for right at $1000 each (a bit more negotiating was involved). 2 were brand new (demo units?) and one has a few miles on it. I took them home and plugged them in-no lights on the CSB all had dead battery packs. After some research into the battery problem I was almost about to send the packs off to be revived and decided that I had a pack that was doing me no good so I would try to revive it myself. Having an extensive mechanical and electrical engineering background I researched the packs and pulled out some of my old equipment. It took 3-4 days of tinkering, measuring, a couple of breakthroughs and some guts but I successfully revived all 6 packs and the onboard charger has them leveled out and in maintenance mode. Next hurdle was INC updating the owner info, I had to prove I purchased them sent sales slip, calls, etc. Glad they stay on top of this. Got that done, ordered 3 sets of keys 2 weeks ago. Still waiting Meanwhile I noticed while installing the packs on one of the units, it didn't make a sound and face when the batteries were installed. I began pulling it apart and noticed the wires in the CSB were chewed in half. More research and calls, I always believed in doing things myself and found dead end after dead end. Finally I just went after it with what I know of manufacturing processes. I got the base off, got the screws loose, took the nut off the wires coming out of the CSB and figured out how to remove the circuits from the CSB. An hour later the wires are repaired and the unit makes its sounds and they seem ready. I took pictures of this procedure and will write up a how-to as I had a hard time finding anything about it. So now I am still waiting on the keys. I am ready to go gliding. I guess good things do come to those that wait.

I am glad to see this community and hope to contribute and find other owners through this forum. Glad to be here!
skyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

First off, welcome.

Next, great story, well written. (In that it was easy and engaging to read.)

Good luck with the machines...

One quick note, many dealers can make the keys for you, as long as you have the serial numbers from the units (rear of machine, upper left corner, near the overlap of the platform pad) and you are the owner of record in the factory's database... The dealer will access that database for the key code that is assigned to those serial numbers.

Have fun. Even with your time equity, you got a great deal, and should have a great deal of fun... You may even cut a profit at some point if you decide to sell one...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Welcome aboard!

That's a really good deal you got yourself there...
Great that you "revived" the batteries yourself, although i doubt they will perform optimally (They don't seem to have been maintained :P).

I wonder how the wires in the CSB got damaged...

Anyway, as Karl said, great post, good luck, and i hope the batteries still have some miles left for you (Even though you seem like you have an idea or 2 already to squeeze more juice out of them)

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.
Joushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Kenny,

As you hang out longer, and spend more time with segways in your hands, you will find that one of the only true wear points, or design weak spots they had was the connectors in the tube (Control Shaft) that holds up the handlebars on the gen 1 machines...

The hollow tube, has two connectors (redundancy, don't you know) and the very early ones had a pins that could displace or bend, and they replaced them with a different style...

Also consider that the wires have to be long enough to disassemble, but short enough to fit when the shaft is lowered all the way. They accomplish this with two curly cords... The problem is that when the control shaft is shortened all the way, it does so by a connection in the center, and the top length of tube slides into the lower length of tube... Clearly, the upper is a narrower tube, and when you slide it down, the wires in the bottom can get pinched between the bottom of the upper tube, and the top of the base of the lower tube...

So, there is a wear point, or possible pinch point on the wire where it was described.

Good repair. Good analysis for finding it, on your own... I also discovered by trial how to do the things described in Skyakers post. It is good to hear from another who is curious and builds within himself the tools needed to get the job done...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 06-27-2009 at 09:07 AM..
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Joushou

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Ah, i completely forgot that you could lower the shaft...
Now, if it had been static, it would have been much more interesting (Rats in the CS!? )

(And damn, i have just been told i am not allowed to even get NEAR the segway when i get it (Why do my customers not understand that i want to be paid?), within the warranty (2 years)... *sniff*... Well, i don't think i can keep that promise )

Oh yeah, now we're at it... is the InfoKey controller connected directly to the rear battery, or part of the rear CU board? (My thought: If that is connected directly to the rear battery, i should be able to use the front battery for lighting the same way... )

I'm soon considering to call the Inkasso (Don't know the name in english, but a company that (one way or the other) gets people to grab their wallet quickly (I wonder why it's legal))...

And, i have too many levels of parentheses... :P

Old 06-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
skyaker
skyaker is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Karl,
Thanks for the welcome. I did go through a local dealer for the keys, however he didn't have the capability to make them. I thought about doing them myself and purchasing the ibuttons and programmer, however I don't have the unlock codes. Maybe something to do in the future as I have another idea for the ibuttons.
Thanks,
-Brian
skyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Exclamation For real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
Ah, i completely forgot that you could lower the shaft...
Now, if it had been static, it would have been much more interesting (Rats in the CS!? )

(And damn, i have just been told i am not allowed to even get NEAR the segway when i get it (Why do my customers not understand that i want to be paid?), within the warranty (2 years)... *sniff*... Well, i don't think i can keep that promise )

Oh yeah, now we're at it... is the InfoKey controller connected directly to the rear battery, or part of the rear CU board? (My thought: If that is connected directly to the rear battery, i should be able to use the front battery for lighting the same way... )

I'm soon considering to call the Inkasso (Don't know the name in english, but a company that (one way or the other) gets people to grab their wallet quickly (I wonder why it's legal))...

And, i have too many levels of parentheses... :P
If we ever shake hands it would be while kissing you on the lips.

Thats a language I can understand.
BANG ON THE DOORS, never forget who you are talking too much?

~Thats bad english~Bullocks and sex pistols, play the course, sing the chorus. Write back when you get work.

Love Crash

Last edited by Mr_Laurenzano; 06-27-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Gay NO! feeling Yes. : ask my wife.
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Joushou

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Laurenzano View Post
If we ever shake hands it would be while kissing you on the lips.
Note to myself: Keep a 10m safety-zone from Crash

Well, if they don't pay me soon, i'm going to get really angry (one of the customers haven't been paying me for half a year, and owes me $2250, while another haven't been paying me for 1½ year, but i haven't done much work for him), and when i get angry, bad things happen

I'd hate to have to do it, but things are really dragging out...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
Note to myself: Keep a 10m safety-zone from Crash

Well, if they don't pay me soon, i'm going to get really angry (one of the customers haven't been paying me for half a year, and owes me $2250, while another haven't been paying me for 1½ year, but i haven't done much work for him), and when i get angry, bad things happen

I'd hate to have to do it, but things are really dragging out...
Ah, the life of the independent contractor...

I think the term you were looking for, at least in the US, is "collections agency".

I don't know how effective they are in this sort of situation, or overall, or how much of the take you have to give up. Good luck!

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
Joushou

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Yup, "Collections Agency" definitely sounds like what i was looking for...

The sad thing is, that the customer that owes me the most money, is not a guy you want to upset... Or you'll end up having shipping containers in front of your door...

I don't know how the agency would react to that (Or when he throws a container or 2 of garbage on your door-step)...

Nope, i definitely don't dare to use them on him... especially considering that he will know who hired them... And i like my life! D':

And yeah, it would probably cost a whole lot aswell...

Tags
csb removal, mississippi