SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #111
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I believe that there was some manipulations in the past, regardless of claims to the contrary, as was also admitted in the past. Perhaps there has not been a recent manipulation... I do not know.

One point to consider, if a person with 10 rep points praises or zings you, they have a small impact on your rep points, just one or two points.

If a person who has 500 points praises or zings you, then the effect is several points at a time. If some people a year or two back were gifted 500 points, then every time they use the system, that impact is felt.

I have been given a single rep point comment, and by the amount of points involved, I have an idea of the amount of points the sender had...

In this manner, some people with elevated points can have a significant impact on another's point total without actually using the edit features...

My last point on this issue, is that if a person has earned a lot of points over the years, than it does make sence that their comment has more weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #112
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I believe that there was some manipulations in the past, regardless of claims to the contrary, as was also admitted in the past. Perhaps there has not been a recent manipulation... I do not know.

One point to consider, if a person with 10 rep points praises or zings you, they have a small impact on your rep points, just one or two points.

If a person who has 500 points praises or zings you, then the effect is several points at a time. If some people a year or two back were gifted 500 points, then every time they use the system, that impact is felt.

I have been given a single rep point comment, and by the amount of points involved, I have an idea of the amount of points the sender had...

In this manner, some people with elevated points can have a significant impact on another's point total without actually using the edit features...

My last point on this issue, is that if a person has earned a lot of points over the years, than it does make sence that their comment has more weight.
You are spot on with everything you've said. But I'd add one more thing. You sort of touched on this above...but if a person has 500 rep points, they'll give 10 pos rep point. So these people have more influence on both the up side and the down side (as Karl describes above).

Karl mentioned this above, but I want to reiterate. If a person can give 10 pos rep points to you because they have 500 rep points themselves, then that same person only gives 1 or 2 neg rep points when they slam you. The rep point system is not zero sum. You have to be a real jerk (in the eyes of your fellow poster) and get at least five or ten times more neg rep than pos rep before your rep is seriously affected.

So don't sweat it if you occasionally get a neg rep....just move on and keep posting because someone's going to pos rep you soon and effectively erase that neg rep.

ps - Personally, I think everyone should look at the reason for the neg rep. Hopefully it's signed so they have some context for it. It never hurts to be introspective a little bit.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #113
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Default Polo would appreciate this...

Purely for Polo's efforts:

Since 01Feb2008 through 29Feb2008 397 Reputation comments were handed (differing values) amongst the SegChatters.

Out of the 397 reputation comments made, only 16 were negative.

I did this on my own, so please don't ask me to do it again, because, there's no magic program. I had to sift through pages and pages of lists, and keep a manual count, so I could be off.

Additionally, only 8 people who have more reputation points than polo got points in the month of February (between the dates noted above), and no one received a total of more than around 50 points.

Glad to have you back Polo.

This should put any conspiracy theories to rest.

-Sal
Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #114
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Rep

While I was not here, I assumed my rep points would take a major hit.

They have not

(To the credit of the mods)

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something right™

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #115
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post

They have not

Jonathan
Well it's good to have you back!!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 03-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #116
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post

They have not

Jonathan

why would you think that your rep points would go down if you weren't here? PT's hasn't gone down.

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #117
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG1247 View Post
why would you think that your rep points would go down if you weren't here? PT's hasn't gone down.

PT may be a bad example. I do not recall when the change to this software was made, but PT has not posted in over 2 years, I believe...

That would mean that he has become one of the people with the highest reputation scores, while never having posted on this forum with reputation points.

This is no indication of his PTs reputation, just his point score.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #118
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, PT earned his reps long before the move to this software, (the book of pt) there was just no way to show them.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote