SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Burt
Burt is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default help

I am new to the forum and need some help. I borrowed a Segway from a friend and it worked great for a couple days. Now it turns on but when I turn the left handle, it goes forward and reverse but doesn't move with the normal tilting. I certainly need to get this corrected before I can return it. Any suggestions?
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
I am new to the forum and need some help. I borrowed a Segway from a friend and it worked great for a couple days. Now it turns on but when I turn the left handle, it goes forward and reverse but doesn't move with the normal tilting. I certainly need to get this corrected before I can return it. Any suggestions?
Is it balancing? If not, there is almost certainly nothing wrong with the unit. You somehow put the unit into a Power Assist mode used for loading and climbing steps. Just level the platform, tap the platform with your foot, and it should go in to balance mode.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
C3RS
C3RS is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
I borrowed a Segway from a friend
which generation ?

This or this ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Segway i2 (White) - 4500 kms - batteries dead after 1,5 years.
C3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Sounds like you have not put it in balance Mode

After you have keyed it on. Level the platform and either touch the footpad or if it is a gen one (fixed shaft) hit the little button once.

It should move forward a bit and go into balance mode, or if the platform is not level, the screen should show a red and unhappy face.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The LeanSteer shaft may have worked itself loose.

It can be re-tightened down by the pivot point with a metric allen wrench.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

You are simply in power assist mode...

If you tap on the platform (where you stand) with your toe, or if you hit the button on the handlebar again, it will go into balance mode...

That machine has two modes, one is called balance mode, for riding, then other will use the steering control to move it back and forth, instead of turning, and that is used when walking next to the segway and loading it into ramps or climbing stairs. (I stress, it is only for when walking next to it.)

good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #7
ScottyDont
ScottyDont is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Let your 'friend' know RIGHT AWAY. It may be something they have delt with before. If you try to 'fix' it, and screw it up worse - then you've done him no favor.

My $0.02
ScottyDont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
From reading the post, it is obviously a Gen 1, so fixing the leansteer will be kind of tough.

The Segway is in power-assist mode and is operating normally. Just press the button a second time to enter balance mode (with the platform level) and you'll be fine.
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote