SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #31
eucarmy
eucarmy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Just a very brief recap of my first ride...

Segway i2 is ALIVE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eucarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:17 AM   #32
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucarmy View Post
Just a very brief recap of my first ride...

Segway i2 is ALIVE
Great video! Glad you figured out how to get it out of turtle mode. Now the fun can begin. :-)

As for the Infokey attachment; there’s a trim ring that actually screws on the back of the Infokey that’d slot into the holder on the leansteer frame. I’m sure Vince can set you up with it - it’s a fairly cheap part and commonly replaced due to breakage.

Enjoy it - as you said, it’s the granddaddy of all the other balancing cycles. One thing I’m always impressed with is the thought and build quality that went into the Segway. It’s a true engineer’s dream - you can tell right away that marketing and finance didn’t get any input here - no cut corners anywhere. It’s unbelievably well built.

Enjoy - glide on!!
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #33
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Wow Duff!!! Great to see that you got the I2 going. I'm sure that it comes down to rider preference,but in the manual Segway recommends the Leansteer height be adjusted to just above the elbow.Amazing that you had the Segway given to you with only 24 miles! Like winning the lottery.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #34
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
As for the Infokey attachment; there’s a trim ring that actually screws on the back of the Infokey that’d slot into the holder on the leansteer frame. I’m sure Vince can set you up with it - it’s a fairly cheap part and commonly replaced due to breakage.
The best way to mount the InfoKey is to use this made in Germany, cast, machined aluminum protector

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infokey-Pro...YAAOSwoBtW2WIq

I have these on all 3 of our I2's. No drilling - It mounts using the same screw the plastic piece of crap that came on the Seg uses. No matter how hard a fall you take, your InfoKey will never budge or be damaged.
Quote:
It’s a true engineer’s dream - you can tell right away that marketing and finance didn’t get any input here - no cut corners anywhere. It’s unbelievably well built.
Well, maybe they could have, should have rethought the $200 InfoKey mount - It's really expensive when you lose one! The German piece is what should have come on the Seg from the factory. You've gotta admit, the flimsy plastic mount is really out of place with the overall quality of the machine

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #35
Bernie
Bernie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

In my opinion the only corner cut was not having an on/off switch for the info key radio.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #36
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
The best way to mount the InfoKey is to use this made in Germany, cast, machined aluminum protector

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infokey-Pro...YAAOSwoBtW2WIq

I have these on all 3 of our I2's. No drilling - It mounts using the same screw the plastic piece of crap that came on the Seg uses. No matter how hard a fall you take, your InfoKey will never budge or be damaged. Well, maybe they could have, should have rethought the $200 InfoKey mount - It's really expensive when you lose one! The German piece is what should have come on the Seg from the factory. You've gotta admit, the flimsy plastic mount is really out of place with the overall quality of the machine

Don
You are - of course - 100% right. Why they cheaped out on the mount, I’ll never understand! Even the leather case is nicely done. It’s just totally out of character for the machine.

If it were me, I’d say the Autostand and the German key holder are the two must-haves that should’ve come from the factory.

Quick question on the holder - I have the silicone cover on my Infokey. Do you know if it fits in this mount with the cover on, or would I need to remove it?
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #37
Don M

5 yr Member

I'm not sure - I've never seen the silicone cover

You do have to remove the mount adapter from the back of the InfoKey for it to fit in the aluminum mount - Twist it 1/4 turn and it comes off

A spring loaded snap pin holds the Key in the mount. Press the Key in and it can't come out until you pull the ring to release the pin. The Key is recessed into the housing far enough that it's protected on all sides and the cutouts in the side allow you easy access to all 4 buttons

You might decide that you don't need the silicone cover once you see how the mount protects the key

I've got an excellent picture I'm trying to upload, but the forum software insists "This is not a valid image file" - Once I get that sorted out, I'll post it here

Don
Old 03-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #38
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have the same German mount on my segway, and it is by far the way to go. I have had it for years, and never had a problem with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #39
eucarmy
eucarmy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Finally got the I2 on the road!

eucarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #40
Don M

5 yr Member

I would agree that the 'drive train noise' on your I2 is a good bit louder than any of our three - We have an 80 mile machine, another with 900 miles and the one I ride most often has about 2300 miles. All of them are quieter than yours

As to the range on those old batteries - 5 bars left after 7 miles isn't too bad, considering you did most of the ride at or very near top speed. Like any other battery powered device, it will get better 'mileage' at slower speeds. You ride much differently than we do - Maybe only 10 or 15% of our miles are done at top speed

You do have to keep a close eye on the width of the machine - I would venture to guess than 95% or more of the tumbles taken off Segways are caused when one wheel encounters something which impedes it's ability to turn like it wants to. The machine can't balance unless it's able to do what it needs to do with both wheels. Not something you have a problem with so much riding a unicycle I would imagine

Glad you got it up and running - Love your videos! Are you using some sort of steady-cam device?

Don