SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
jimnbeck
jimnbeck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question Commuting in the Northwest?

I've Googled and found several interesting stories on Segway commuters here in the Northwest (a physician and his nurse wife in Seattle, a Microsoft engineer in Redmond, etc.)

Rain. What are the realities re: a commute in steady winter rain? Cornering? Traction? Visibility to cars? I would approach clothing much like a motorcycle commuter, plus a full helmet with glare shield.

Anyone with experience in such conditions, I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers!

Jim
jimnbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

We greatly exaggerate the rain to keep Oregonians south of the creek. Try Rain-X on your glasses and wear light colored clothing. Watch out for water, it could be hiding a pot hole, and be careful of wet leaves and mud--all very slippery and prone to a loss of traction. Welcome aboard!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
scotty1024
scotty1024 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Getting ready to get smacked, with rain drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzined View Post
Watch out for water, it could be hiding a pot hole, and be careful of wet leaves and mud--all very slippery and prone to a loss of traction.
I've been carefully scanning my route for things that could go badly when wet.

I've begun cautious remedies on some of them snip snip and kick dirt off to the side. I've also been paying close attention to bumps and circling back to inspect them closely to see if they're pot holes.

Last Wednesday June 25 was apparently National Rundown a Segway on Your Way to Work Day (and no one here warned me!) Since then I've put a pocket sized air horn on order with plans to use it to enhance my "visibility" for inattentive drivers (I got two that morning).

This is what I wanted, but alas no 12V power (you'd think for $7K it would have a cigarette lighter in the console) http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-425-Cucar...976807&sr=8-16

This is what I have on order: http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-HORN-...4976807&sr=8-2
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote