SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-30-2003, 02:15 PM   #11
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Welcome Andrew!

"Riding a Segway is one of the coolest thing I will ever do"

That get's my vote as the dumbest thing Dean Kamen has ever said!

Glad you had fun, and weren't hurt.

After that video, did you ride around Vancouver? Were the areas dense or sparse with pedestrians?

You might read around here that some of us are concerned because in Seattle a Segway renter that didn't get clearance got all Segways banned from a park.

What's your opinion of your rental experience in Vancouver?

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:30 PM   #12
wheels
wheels

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

Welcome Andrew!
I second the 'Welcome". Thanks for answering our questions. I think Bruce is correct that 'What happens in public, belongs to the public'.
If you are intimidated by Jack, I suggest that you email Bruce Wright and state your approval of his uploading the video. I would like to study it some more.
I also had a similar happening but didn't go down.
(pt: I DIDN'T DO IT INTENIONALLY).

Is there provision to glide in "Stanley Park"?

One way..... SEGWAY ! !
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:38 PM   #13
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

Wow, I'm just getting a chance to catch up here...

So this wasn't an owner's training - it was a Rental Co. 15 min job.. wow is right.

Andrew, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I appreciate your honesty. Some members questioned whether or not you intentionally pushed the Seg to those extreme limits. As you indicate, you were indeed trying to find the limits - and you succeeded!

That clears that up.

I'm still for understanding the mechanics of it, of course. We should continue that chat in another thread.

However, I'm now even more concerned about the "big picture" for us Seg owners. If rental places like this outfit in Canada and the one in pt's backyard (Seattle) don't shape up soon - we won't have to worry about these problems anymore this time next year.

Has this changed anyone's outlook on this whole rental thing?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me
ftropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:42 PM   #14
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

wheels-

i think we have bigger issues now, but what part of the following didn't you read:

-"It was my first day on a Segway and I was really excited to see the limits of it".
-"I wasn't trying to overdo it but I definitely was trying to put myself in a position that was not natural".

so here's the deal-- he was 100% intentionally pushing the limits in an unnatural way, that's what he said. there was an unintentional result, it fell over. based on how he was trained (without video and questionable training methods from jack) i'm glad he wasn't hurt, he didn't know what was going to happen, but he did know he was pushing it as per jack and as per his note.

let's all agree on that at least?

we have way bigger problems, jack asked the video to get pulled, it appears folks aren't getting proper training.

egad.

i so want to figure out the physics of this (that's way more fun), but folks-- **** like this can stop us dead in our tracks.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:24 PM   #15
LarryL
LarryL

5 yr Member

Any rental company who does training like that should be shut down. At Fun Transport, we stress safety all the time. We even turned down renting one for a week long convention becasue we couldn't personally do the training. The guy did find someone else who just shipped him a Segway for the money.

I agree that if this type of thing happens, we will all have problems. That's why standards are set and we will ALWAYS follow them and NEVER make an exception.

Safety MUST come first for all of us if we want to continue Gliding.

Larry
LarryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:29 PM   #16
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

i think larry is one of the most "stand up" guys and i admire everything he's doing. larry, if there's anything we (or i) can do, let us all know. we need you out there.

in fact *that* is why i'm so worried folks, why should you or i, or larry be punished because some dude named jack in canada.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:30 PM   #17
LarryL
LarryL

5 yr Member

Thank you PT. We do our best.

Good news should be announced next week about our Fun Transport company which will help everyone - I hope.

Larry
LarryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:36 PM   #18
mellenger
mellenger

5 yr Member

Okay i'm starting to sound like a broken record but:

It was my choice to ride it. My choice to operate it the way i did. I fell on it, I know it's not magic, it's tech. and it has limits. I don't think any rental place would have refused me from renting one, how was Jack supposed to know that it would shut off. Also I don't really look 225lbs either, he might have instructed me different if i looked closer to the max weight.

andrew

========
http://m3mm.com
mellenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:39 PM   #19
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

I hate to chime in with "me too"s but - me too!

I think LarryL and Fun Transport is trying to do the rental biz right. We've learned of at least two *other* rental places which seem to be doing it wrong.

Bottom line - I'm more concerned about our long term rights to Seg. I'm less concerned about little companies making some dough off the Segway's novelty factor. So if I, or other passionate owners, seem to be getting a little defensive - well - we are!

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me
ftropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:40 PM   #20
clm
clm

5 yr Member

Folks, just a word of moderation before we get the cremation fires burning too bright.

What happened with Andrew happened in training - off the road and under controled conditions. We might not like it, but many, many people consider it quite proper behavior to explore limits of an activity in training, and consider it ok to crash in training.

The idea is to do it now in a low risk environment rather than have it happen on the road later.

Andrew said "I am use to falling down" and accepted the risks. He is not a victim here. (Other than this quote I'll let Andrew as a member speak for himself. Welcome to the board, Andrew)

I do realize our concern here is not to scare the fearful banner type petty officials. But not all Americans are freedom loving and thus we will have to deal with them. This concern I share, but we can't pretend that Segways do not fall over and get away with it forever. They do, and so what?

Chris

clm is offline   Reply With Quote