SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Kudos to Segway of LB

It wasn't me but it was a good friend of mine who while in LA took a advantage of a Segway of LB offer and he and his wife rented a Segway for the day.

Although they only glode for 4 hours (got very tired) they had only good words to say about about Segway of LB and the Segway.

Thanks guys.....you made a couple's day!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Segway of Long Beach is a great outfit, I just wish that they required helmets of their rental 'riders'. I saw a group of 5 or 6 gals who were renting from Segway of Long Beach and several of them were continually stepping on and off the units, out of control. None of them were wearing helmets.

These are the kinds of safety issues that we will all be dealing with in the future. Now is the time to set an example of 'Safety First'. Hopefully ALL Segway Authorized Tours will be requiring helmet use...
Old 11-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I had a very positive experience with the friendly folks at Segway of LB. They struck me as very professional as well.

I also observed some of their rental clients with helmets. I do not know their absolute policy, and will not comment on it...

I did also observe a person on a rental machine, (I do not know where it was rented from) who chose to not wear a helmet, and he fell. Those of us who saw it, would have rather he was wearing one at the time, as it was scary to watch...

I also do not wear a helmet. I have lots of miles and few falls. I prefer my Stetson (Cowboy hat) and during my last fall, it did not come off, as I taught falling down professionally for a while. ( I was a skydive instructor for about 10 years. They don't make falling more than that)

I know that wearing a helmet is a good idea, especially when you fall. I choose to act otherwise, and make that choice willingly. I would not deny that choice to others so lightly. (I do not extend that choice to my children, who must wear their bike helmets when gliding.)

This whole issue has had many views expressed over the years, and in my opinion, has room for more debate.

I just did not think it was an overriding factor in my assessment of the fine business practices that I observed at Segway of LB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Long Beach

I rented two units from them during segfest and thought they had a great store and great location. I'm not sure what their formal helmet policy is but in renting units from them one had to sign a disclaimer advising that helmets were not to be worn.

Probably we all should wear helmets at all times but such is not the case, even with me.

The possibility of a fall is always present and during our marathon through dowtown LA several individuals fell, thankfully without any injuries

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Personal use is one thing, and 'professional responsibility' is another. I know for a fact that Segway Inc. does not approve of rentals or tours that make wearing a helmet optional.

I know that one day the Segway tour and rental industry will be overun by businesses that put the almighty buck before consumer safety. I'm afraid then, having passed on the opportunity to 'self-police', that tours will become regulated like carnivals.... Hindsight is 20/20.

Segway of Long Beach does many things that set a good standard for the industry, but there is NOTHING more important than customer safety. Bottom line...
Old 11-21-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides View Post
Personal use is one thing, and 'professional responsibility' is another. I know for a fact that Segway Inc. does not approve of rentals or tours that make wearing a helmet optional.

I know that one day the Segway tour and rental industry will be overun by businesses that put the almighty buck before consumer safety. I'm afraid then, having passed on the opportunity to 'self-police', that tours will become regulated like carnivals.... Hindsight is 20/20.

Segway of Long Beach does many things that set a good standard for the industry, but there is NOTHING more important than customer safety. Bottom line...
Tom is right. All rentals should be required to wear helmets.

We make all our clients wear them. Just imagine seeing a woman in the traditional Abaya (the standard black woman's wear in the ME) with a helmet! It happens and quite often folks put up a fight but to glide you wear a helmet.

Even with a disclaimer helmets should be worn and in any trial a Tour company that does not enforce this has a huge liability risk.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote