SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-17-2003, 08:27 AM   #11
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Segway Long Island

I agree Brooster. Leave the insurance company out of it.

KISS Keep it simple...If it improves the quality of a patient's life, they'll just have to pay for the improvement.

By the way Pam, I loved your writings from your trip in florida. Really Great!!

Wayne
Thanks, Wayne. It was a great time. Now I need to update my BLOG. <sigh> OK, one of these days <G>.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:33 AM   #12
Lazarus
Lazarus

5 yr Member

Hi Jilmac!
I posted to you recently on MGH. I go for training next Sunday!

The foot and a half on snow we are going to get today is a well timed blizzard--we will be all cleaned out and it will be above freezing in a day.....everything is clicking....Here we come-go-come-go (that's me gliding back and forth).

Linda

Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:47 AM   #13
ronzul
ronzul is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Thanks for starting this thread Doc. It is such an important one for many of us with mobility limitations.

I myself have a chronic muscle condition that significantly limits my mobility, however I manage to stand and balance for reasonable periods of time.

For me I either use a Segway (if suitable) or get an electric wheelchair. As you can guess, I am reading everything that could give me a sense of what physical exertion is required in using the Segway, hoping it is within my capabilities.

(I can't use an "old-person" type electric scooter because of the manual steering - the electric control for the Segway steering should be manageable)

Unfortunately (usually I say fortunately), I live in Australia and can't just try one out for the weekend.

Any information about physical exertion (especially by people with some sort of muscular limitation) is greatly appreciated.

As a comparison, what if I place a wooden square with an area equal to that of the Segway atop a half inch high pivot? If I can balance on that moving from side to side for a reasonable period, would that be a fair comparison?

Cheers
Ronny
ronzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:18 AM   #14
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ronzul

As a comparison, what if I place a wooden square with an area equal to that of the Segway atop a half inch high pivot? If I can balance on that moving from side to side for a reasonable period, would that be a fair comparison?

Cheers
Ronny
Hmmm, well, since the Segway has gyroscopes which will keep you balanced, and the wooden square will not have gyroscopes to keep you balanced, I'm not sure if it will work for a comparison. You just need to come to the States, Ronny, and try one <G>.
Pam
Old 02-17-2003, 11:09 AM   #15
n/a
n/a is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:I’m a family physician and I can think of a heck of a lot of my patients who will benefit from this!!
That is good to hear from a doctor.

As for FDA approval. I dont see why they couldnt apply for it when they released first Segways? They wouldnt have to stop selling the Segways as ordinary transporters while they waited for approval would they? The Segways are built to be very safe and durable so I dont imagine they would have to do many modifications to get them approved.
n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 11:38 AM   #16
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

I agree with you, Dr. SLI, that the Segway could help more people get around who can stand and balance but not walk so good.

I agree with the others, though, that FDA approval will not happen for a long time, if at all, and that the insurance companies will probably make a fuss.

But inspite of all that, you should show the HT to your patients and see if it can help. I think that is a great idea you have.

And about you being "batty". Don't feel bad about that - it is happening to all of us right now. I was lucky enough to get a demo ride on the Segway from Frank so I at least have that out of my system. I am still yearning for March to get here.

Stan Dobrowski
Stan671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:55 PM   #17
np
np is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Insurance companies do pay for breast implants if the procedures are necessitated by medical causes, e.g. cancer. Canes, walkers
again may or may not be covered by the insurance company.
Crutches are covered, if you are willing to go through with the paperwork.
I have ambivalent feelings about this difficult issue and I can understand perfectly why Segway LLC did not want to go in that direction at this point.

What I would like to know is this: if someone shows up with some
disability (etc. severely limping on one side due to a previous accident) for the training, someone who already ordered their Segway on Amazon.com and even paid to Segway LLC, would they refuse training
that person?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Segway Long Island

Hi Pam. I thought about the FDA thing. I know the Ibot is still going thru that..it's been years. But I often write prescriptions for assistive devices like canes, walkers, wheelchairs, bathroom assist handrails, etc. Does a cane or a walker need FDA approval?

Something probably as complicated and expensive as a Segway wound. I wonder what the criteria are?

Although, I can think of things that ARE... FDA approved that the insurance companies WON'T pay for, like breast implants.
OK, so it's not the best example, but it's the first thing that came to mind. (OOps, my masculinity is showing!!)

Anyway, the benefit to patients is an improved quality of life. That would sell the patient on the idea.

What would sell an insurance company on the idea? It would have to save insurance companies money so their profit increases. That's why they pay for cancer screening. It's cheaper than paying to cure you. I'm sure the expression, "An once of prevention..." was written by an insurance company accountant.

How would buying a patient a Segway save an insurance company money in the long run????

Wayne
http://www.neuroprosthesis.org/blogger.html
np is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:31 PM   #18
pam
Last of the Early 30

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by np

What I would like to know is this: if someone shows up with some
disability (etc. severely limping on one side due to a previous accident) for the training, someone who already ordered their Segway on Amazon.com and even paid to Segway LLC, would they refuse training
that person?
I don't think they'd refuse training to someone who limps. However, someone who is unable to stand or control their body weight (I'm not talking about fine motor movements, but about literally someone who can't control lean forward or back) would not be a good candidate for the Segway. How Segway'd handle it, I don't know.

Pam
Old 02-17-2003, 03:30 PM   #19
Homer
Homer

5 yr Member

FYI, we have a resident who is a double amputee using one in Celebration. I ride around town and park mine behind my office and get a lot of questions about it. I agree that it shows great promise for "extending the range" of those who are limited in the distance that they can travel about due to debilitating conditions.

What a sad situation that the government stands in the way of progress under the guise of protecting its citizens.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:49 PM   #20
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I don't think that FDA approval is a guise. I think it could be improved to work faster, and with less bureacracy, but I wouldn't call it a guise.

In fact, I would like them to extend their reach to attack the quackery that falls under the labels "nutritional supplements" and "alternative medicine."

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote