SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-16-2003, 11:37 PM   #1
SegwayLongIsland
SegwayLongIsland is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Segways for Patients

I’ve got an idea and I’d like some opinions. I followed the Segway like most on this board since its mere mention 2 years ago, ordered one the very first day and although I haven’t tried it yet, my training is days this weekend.

Although DK has been a medical engineer his whole adult life, has anyone talked or mentioned using HTs for patients with ambulatory problems?

I’m a family physician and I can think of a heck of a lot of my patients who will benefit from this!!

As we get older, the size of the world we travel in becomes progressively smaller until in our later years we become limited to very short distances from home and eventually become... homebound.

Besides advancing age, diseases can contribute to shrinking our world. Respiratory and cardiac diseases such as Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, Angina, etc. can limit our walking capacity due to shortness of breath or chest pain.

Osteoarthritis patients often complain that the effort and pain of walking can limit their ability to travel within the community, even thought they can stand and balance.

For all these patients, it is not standing...but the work of walking that limits them and their mobility.

I’m thinking of putting my Segway in my office (when not on it!) and doing demo rides on say, Tuesday nights, for patients I think might be helped. There are a lot of patients in my community that are beyond a car and its problems of cost, repair, parking, etc. yet they are
active enough to stand on a Segway. They aren’t handicapped enough to need a wheelchair (sorry Dean, Ibot) but walking alone is too much.

When the “P” comes out and the price comes down, maybe health insurance would pick up a part of the tab in patients where it was medically necessary!

Does this make sense to anyone or am I just going batty counting the days?
SegwayLongIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:02 AM   #2
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Segway Long Island

I’ve got an idea and I’d like some opinions. I followed the Segway like most on this board since its mere mention 2 years ago, ordered one the very first day and although I haven’t tried it yet, my training is days this weekend.

Although DK has been a medical engineer his whole adult life, has anyone talked or mentioned using HTs for patients with ambulatory problems?

I’m a family physician and I can think of a heck of a lot of my patients who will benefit from this!!

As we get older, the size of the world we travel in becomes progressively smaller until in our later years we become limited to very short distances from home and eventually become... homebound.

Besides advancing age, diseases can contribute to shrinking our world. Respiratory and cardiac diseases such as Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, Angina, etc. can limit our walking capacity due to shortness of breath or chest pain.

Osteoarthritis patients often complain that the effort and pain of walking can limit their ability to travel within the community, even thought they can stand and balance.

For all these patients, it is not standing...but the work of walking that limits them and their mobility.

I’m thinking of putting my Segway in my office (when not on it!) and doing demo rides on say, Tuesday nights, for patients I think might be helped. There are a lot of patients in my community that are beyond a car and its problems of cost, repair, parking, etc. yet they are
active enough to stand on a Segway. They aren’t handicapped enough to need a wheelchair (sorry Dean, Ibot) but walking alone is too much.

When the “P” comes out and the price comes down, maybe health insurance would pick up a part of the tab in patients where it was medically necessary!

Does this make sense to anyone or am I just going batty counting the days?
For insurance to pick up part of the tab, I think it would have to be considered a medical device, which means FDA approval (as I understand it). This apparently would have slowed release of the machine by years (and raised the cost!), so they haven't requested medical (FDA) approval on it. I'm sure someone else on the list longer than I knows more about it, but that's the current information I have.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:08 AM   #3
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

I don't think you're going "batty" at all, Dr. SLI. I can definitely see the potential here, and it's absolutely a good point for discussion.

As Pam was quick to point out, the obstacle for the time-being is the fact that the Segway HT hasn't been approved as a "medical device," and that's something that the folks at Segway LLC have been very careful to point out.

My feeling is that ultimately, it will be able to play a vital role in helping certain non-ambulatory people. But it'll obviously have to be looked at on a case-by-case basis, and looked at very carefully. While the machine does balance the rider, it depends upon a fully alert, capable rider to do its job. In cases where patients may not have firm capacities for balance and equilibrium, the Segway HT won't be an appropriate solution.

You'll have a far better understanding of what I mean, once you've ridden the HT yourself ... and that won't be long from now.

Broo

Brooster
Brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:59 AM   #4
Lazarus
Lazarus

5 yr Member

There are several of us with MS who have purchased the Segway. The reason FDA approval is not in the works now is exactly as Pam mentioned.

But you are correct, many many people could benefit. It will be a delight for many to stand and travel distances instead of sit in electric scooters and be out of sight during conversations...etc. Linda
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:12 AM   #5
SegwayLongIsland

5 yr Member

Hi Pam. I thought about the FDA thing. I know the Ibot is still going thru that..it's been years. But I often write prescriptions for assistive devices like canes, walkers, wheelchairs, bathroom assist handrails, etc. Does a cane or a walker need FDA approval?

Something probably as complicated and expensive as a Segway wound. I wonder what the criteria are?

Although, I can think of things that ARE... FDA approved that the insurance companies WON'T pay for, like breast implants.
OK, so it's not the best example, but it's the first thing that came to mind. (OOps, my masculinity is showing!!)

Anyway, the benefit to patients is an improved quality of life. That would sell the patient on the idea.

What would sell an insurance company on the idea? It would have to save insurance companies money so their profit increases. That's why they pay for cancer screening. It's cheaper than paying to cure you. I'm sure the expression, "An once of prevention..." was written by an insurance company accountant.

How would buying a patient a Segway save an insurance company money in the long run????

Wayne
Old 02-17-2003, 01:32 AM   #6
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Preventing further joint deterioration, perhaps?

But Segway HT riders need to be able to bend their knees to absorb shock (much like skiing, as GlideMaster has pointed out), and lean into their turns. There's without doubt a good amount of aerobic activity involved.

I don't think I'd be looking for insurance companies to get involved at all, at least for the time-being. This is just my 2¢, but for the near-term, I think the issue will be counseling would-be buyers on whether it's an appropriate solution.

Brooster
Old 02-17-2003, 02:44 AM   #7
SegwayLongIsland

5 yr Member

I agree Brooster. Leave the insurance company out of it.

KISS Keep it simple...If it improves the quality of a patient's life, they'll just have to pay for the improvement.

By the way Pam, I loved your writings from your trip in florida. Really Great!!

Wayne
Old 02-17-2003, 03:37 AM   #8
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

I can see your point Dr. Ever since I first heard of Segway (via my son) I have been reading everything I could, signing up for e-mail updates etc. etc.

My husband has been just as keen on the updates as me and I was astounded when I mentioned that Segway had gone on sale on Amazon (the first day) and he announced "Sign yourself up!" I had no idea that this was going to happen and was absolutely thrilled to bits.

Like Lazarus I have MS. I have a fairly mild form and although I have used a wheelchair at times, and a cane more frequently my main problem is fatigue. I can start the day out feeling fine but arrive at noon feeling totally wiped out.

A trip to the mall can start well but after a couple of stores I have had enough. Ditto places like the Getty Center, the zoo, amusement parks, walking from a parking lot to the theatre etc. etc.

Segway will leave me with the energy to enjoy my trips.

Segway personnel have been very careful to point out to me that it is not authorized as a medical aid.

I was concerned about balance problems, and vertigo, but in my trial of the machine in LA a while back I found neither to be a problem. In fact I have more problem just riding in a car.

By the way - my son has suggested a bumper sticker for my Segway - "My other car is an SUV." It's true too.

Jill

jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:42 AM   #9
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Good for you, Jill!

William Gibson wrote "the street finds its own uses for things."
He was describing a sort of Darwinism of technology. Useful items find niches undreamed of by their inventors.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:51 AM   #10
Brooster
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

These are the stories we like to hear.

Brooster