SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
coaster
coaster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Real or Fake

Hi
Is this real or fake?

A couple of things have me wondering

1. Why is over the fingers done on a manhole cover and the foot is not.

2. The 6 mph and 9 mph shot are the same, look at the red jeep.

Anybody want to buy a famous Segway
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The video seems mostly real to me.

The fingers and foot thing are real enough, regardless if there is that hatch in the shot or not... (Manhole cover, utility access port, whatever you call it)

Those parts of the video are simple, and clearly not worth faking...

The part where the empty segway rides up his leg, makes me wonder if it leaves a tingle going up his leg... but it is self explanatory enough...

The only problem I have on the video is the full on collision... First off, they are the same video, yet billed as two different speeds...

The real problem is that the segway is not going either speed. In both cases (same film/same case) the segway stops as it hits. It does not glide beyond the impact, so the segway was not moving as fast as reported in either tape at the time of impact...

The problem that I see with a video like this on u-tube or anywhere else, is that the fake parts are all that will be spoken about. They ruin the whole thing, and undermine the arguments of safety, by trying too hard...

Segways are safe to use, when used correctly, and with respect to other people. That is not something that needs to be faked or supplemented with 'enhanced' techniques.

The problem is that people are not always dependable to use things correctly, or with respect to other people...

In the crowded streets of the North End of Boston, or any other crowded place, if I were to take my 210 plus pounds, and run full tilt down the sidewalk, I would likely cause some damage to the people I hit. (That is the game of football.)

I believe that the argument for the safety of segways is not that they cannot cause damage. Of course they can, because they weigh something, and can be rammed into things... I can do damage with a baseball bat too. (Or a cricket mallet, or polo mallet for that matter) The question is not if they can be misused to cause damage or not, but does their presence cause people to be less respectful of others, or does their presence cause people to be less respectful to the people around them...

Of course the answer to this is no. The training on proper segway use needs to include the considerations of segway etiquette, as well as safety...

People keep looking at certain things to be responsible for the bad actions of others... SUV are listed in car accidents all the time... (The SUV did this, or hit that) while cars are less likely in the same reports... when a car hits something, they say the driver did it, as if there was no driver in the SUV.

Segways are the same. Segways do not do much. People on segways do.

If there are a rash of car accidents, they do not outlaw cars. The crack down on the drivers, and require them to drive correctly, and with respect to those around them.

Here, there has not been a rash of segway accidents, but in preparation of them, there is an effort afoot to ban the segways instead of requiring the operators to be responsible...

In many sports, the participants are required to sign a legal release that holds them responsible for damage they cause by unreasonable behavior, or by actions that they take that cause damage by misuse or neglect.

Perhaps this is the compromise that is needed here, instead of leaving it up to knee jerk reactions from ignorant litigators... (Who are frequently ignorant of everything but their own lack of knowledge)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
funky-move.de
funky-move.de will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

wondering if he will let me do the same with the spiked tires ;-)

Segway Customizing in Germany

funky-move.de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

What units does m/p measure?

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
What units does m/p measure?
Did they mean Miles Per Hour, i.e., m/h