SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
ployer
First Timer
ployer is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New Segway I2 Owner needs some help diagnosing a issue

Hey folks, I need some help diagnosing some issues getting my Segway I2 up and running. I recently purchased it from my employer simply because they didn't want it there anymore.

Now i rode it about a year ago and its been sitting up since then inside the office plugged up. Once I got it and got it home and tried to start it up after a night of being plugged in I didnt get anything, so first thing i tried was to replace the Infokey battery and that did me no good.

So after doing some reading around the internet i figured out how to see a couple of things, first the two battery indicators on the bottom. The rear one ( the one where your butt is ) was no lit, green or red. The front one was blinking green indicating it was charged. I swapped the batteries around and the reverse happened, the backlight was lit Green and blinking and the front had no light at all. This time when i started it up It made some lights and actually gave me a error code on the infokey, Which was E042, The Rear CU Board reports: Power base fault.

Now given the change in the lights when i moved the batteries this makes me think one of the batteries is bad. Now there isnt a segway dealer or anyone near me or i would probably just go there ( nearest is about 3 hours away in Dallas )

Can anyone assist me? Thanks!

Phil
ployer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
[email protected]
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

"Bad battery" would be the best guess. It would be reasonable to take a look at the cleanliness of the contacts on the battery that seems to be bad.

If you (or a friend) have a voltmeter, you could compare the voltage readings on the two batteries. Carefully - avoid short circuits, etc.

Your best bet is either the nearest dealer, or sending the battery to some outfit for testing, etc. Or you could try taking the batteries (both, for comparison) to a local store like "Batteries Plus" that specializes in batteries.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Your logic so far seems fine. I agree to suspect that battery as you do.

Regardless of how you do it, the next step is to find another battery to swap in, and see if it takes care of your problem.

If nothing else, you may be able to find another owner or even a tour company, and tell them your story, and see if you can borrow another battery, just to check to see if that is all that there is wrong.

Once you confirm that your segway is working well, and is therefore worth the investment in repairing your battery, you need to have it analysed by someone who knows segway batteries. This may be a more knowledgeable owner, a dealer, or the ultimate in segway battery know how, MTO.

good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
infinitronics
infinitronics is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've been able to fix an i2 and X2 with similar issues by simply cleaning the data connectors on the batteries and segway.

This was done by ever so slightly bending the pins off-center and then installing the battery on the seg and moving it up and down on the connector to burnish and clean the connector.

The four large pins in the center of the battery were NOT bent.

This has allowed my two segways to function perfectly for the past 6 months that I have owned them.

YMMV...
infinitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
[email protected]
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

If you have technical expertise and equipment (or have a friend who does), you might take a look at
http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthr...474#post220474

That sounds strikingly similar to what you experienced.

That is a single-occurrance, so no guarantees. But it could be worth a shot, if you understand the technical situation and real caution that is required.

I have a "theory" as to why this battery condition can happen after a Segway has been plugged in continuously for many months (which is the recommended thing to do).
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote