SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:08 AM   #31
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have loaded my i2 into my Buick Rendesvous dozens of times, and I use ramps most of the time. I descibed it in an earlier post. Since I have done it several times, I would have to say that I believe it to be very much possible.

I gave details in the past, but for brevity's sake, I will say here that I do not use power the whole way... And I do not need it...

Still, I think this idea of a power assist mode has some merit, if the details can be worked out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:16 AM   #32
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I had the opportunity to try out an i2 for a week a while back, and did quite a bit of testing putting it into a vehicle with ramps, and found it to be a little tricky at first, but not an insurmountable problem. If you are finding the lean steer frame too tall, remove it, as the unit will run just fine without it. You may run into a problem if you are on a slope, but in riderless balance mode, the steering isn't as sensitive anyway. With the LSF on, and lowered all the way, I found it would go into most sport ute type of vehicles, and it wasn't too tough. Have the Segway pointing away from the vehicle if you have limited height as you can get it most of the way in before the LSF gets in the way. Don't try and move it too fast, and remember the end that has the LSF is the end to control the direction of. In other words, if the Segway is pointing away from the vehicle, you control the end pointing AWAY from the vehicle with your steering inputs. I'm sorry, but I just can't see having a lot of difficulty doing it if you take your time.

HTH
Jim
Old 02-18-2007, 04:10 AM   #33
iRwheelman
iRwheelman has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

wow, please don't encourage Segway Inc to make our Segways shut down any more than they do already. I have fun on my segways every now and then, jumping a sweet hill out by the river, ive got video on youtube, just search for segway jump. It doesnt look like that big of a deal on screen, but when you're on the x2 and coasting through the air, you definatly don't want your segway to just shut down because theres no contact with the ground.

my 1 1/2 cents

the other 1/2 was disabled jumping segways.
iRwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #34
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Jim,
Since the new ramps came out, I regularly put my i2 into the back of our RX300. Like anything, the 1st few attempts were awkward but got easier with expereience. I find it pretty easy now to undo the flaps on bag, remove the "new" knob and lift the LSF bars out of LSF. I keep the info key in my hand and power it up (forward usually up ramps) and shut it down with infokey. Then I just slide LSF bars back into the LSF and lay it down. It snuggles perfectly in a port/starboard fashion as if it was designed to. The up/down ramp and positioning now takes about a minute plus the time to fold/unfold ramps and place them. Plus when in the car, the ramps fold nicely right under the LSF between the base and bag. Matter of fact it's so easy now, every time I leave the house by myself, I'm thinking of ways to enjoy it while gone.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
I had the opportunity to try out an i2 for a week a while back, and did quite a bit of testing putting it into a vehicle with ramps, and found it to be a little tricky at first, but not an insurmountable problem. If you are finding the lean steer frame too tall, remove it, as the unit will run just fine without it. You may run into a problem if you are on a slope, but in riderless balance mode, the steering isn't as sensitive anyway. With the LSF on, and lowered all the way, I found it would go into most sport ute type of vehicles, and it wasn't too tough. Have the Segway pointing away from the vehicle if you have limited height as you can get it most of the way in before the LSF gets in the way. Don't try and move it too fast, and remember the end that has the LSF is the end to control the direction of. In other words, if the Segway is pointing away from the vehicle, you control the end pointing AWAY from the vehicle with your steering inputs. I'm sorry, but I just can't see having a lot of difficulty doing it if you take your time.

HTH
Jim

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #35
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I agree Jim, it's not a big deal, I can't understand the fellow saying that both he and his dealer could not do it. Perhaps they have challenges we don't know about, but I don't find it difficult at all. I'm using ramps that I made myself, out of 1 by 4 lumber. They don't have sides on them, so if the Segway goes sideways or turns, it's possible to fall off the ramps. This has never happened, so it would seem to me that there is no need to change anything.

Jim
Old 02-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #36
RAY-NER
RAY-NER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

In terms as stated, "nearly impossible" was used to denote the difficulty a first timer faces when loading an i2 using ramps. It's even more tricky trying to get it out since there's a 12 inch drop into the Honda CRX-2 which prevents a 71 year old Seg guy from comfortably managing the removal by himself. The instruction manual has a blank page when seeking help in this regard, so Yankee ingenuity came into play, resulting in the motor reversal scheme which has been suggested to the powers that be at SEGWAY. Trial and error resulting in a learning curve may be OK for some, but if there's a no risk, better way, why not attempt to have SEGWAY adopt it? RAY-NER
RAY-NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #37
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Didn't know about your drop, that of course presents a challenge. But didn't you post somewhere that you made a wooden ramp to facilitate getting it out? How is that working out? Probably a lot of folks that use trunks would be interested in that concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY-NER View Post
In terms as stated, "nearly impossible" was used to denote the difficulty a first timer faces when loading an i2 using ramps. It's even more tricky trying to get it out since there's a 12 inch drop into the Honda CRX-2 which prevents a 71 year old Seg guy from comfortably managing the removal by himself. The instruction manual has a blank page when seeking help in this regard, so Yankee ingenuity came into play, resulting in the motor reversal scheme which has been suggested to the powers that be at SEGWAY. Trial and error resulting in a learning curve may be OK for some, but if there's a no risk, better way, why not attempt to have SEGWAY adopt it? RAY-NER

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 AM   #38
RAY-NER

5 yr Member
Default Construction Ahead!

The design for the inner ramp has been submitted to my very able carpenter who will have it finished shortly. Stay tuned for the inauguration. RAY-NER
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #39
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Some years back, the wife wanted to spend $75 on a plastic platform she could step onto as an exercise... I am too cheap for that, so I made her a wooden one, actually two. (one with 2x4 for a 4 inch step and one with 2x8 for an 8 inch step)

I am not only cheap, but also a pac rat. Since she used the steps for a total of 2 weeks, I had these two platforms with nothing to do...

In my SUV, I have a floor storage unit. It works like a fake subfloor with storage compartments in it, and the top is carpeted like the floor of the car. With the rear seats up, it is hard to even notice, but when I fold the rear seats down and forward, there is an 8 inch drop for the last 18 inches...

Luckily, I have a wooden platform that I put in there, and a level floor surface for both segs, inside. (I also use my own ramps, among other things, made from 5/4 lumber.)

I also have a flat lift that fits into the trailer hitch, and lifts the segs level from parking lot to the level of the inside deck, as well as segway hitch hauler.

I have found the ramps are the easiest and quickest, if you have room inside the vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #40
RAY-NER

5 yr Member
Default Internal trunk ramp for i2 removal

The first test was made today and it was a success. I easily removed the i2 singlehandedly from the interior of my Honda CRX-2. It's still very tricky to get it into the trunk, but if SEGWAY INC. can reverse the motors for loading purposes, all problems would be solved. RAY-NER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM001835.jpg (64.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by RAY-NER; 03-05-2007 at 02:01 AM..