SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 01-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Greetings From Vermont

Hello all.I'm hoping to gain helpful information from this community.I have not yet even test driven a Segway but vey excited at the possibilities that this mode of transportation offers.I have mobility problems due to MS and hoping that gliding will be my new walking.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
Hardenburgward1@aol.
Hardenburgward1@aol. is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Voice of experience

I have a word of caution. I found that stepping on to a segway should be a 3 step process. 1) with machine on put one foot lightly on the machine. Keep your weight on the other foot. You will feel that the segway wants to go forward/backward depending on the position of the handle bar. 2) adjust the handle bar slightly forward/back until segway does not want to move ahead or backward. 3) bring other foot onto segway. You should be upright, balanced, and not moving. You are now ready to push handle bar forward and start gliding.

I was using the first generation segway, an I167. Yours may be newer/better/smarter and may not have the problem I encountered.

I have only fallen on a Segway once. That was the first time I tried it. The handle bar was slightly back so the segway wanted to back up when I stepped on it. I was getting on in one motion so as I stepped forward the segway moved backward and ... well... let’s just say the two don’t make for a good combination. I was on grass so I didn;t get hurt (except my pride)
Hardenburgward1@aol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
plumber802

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardenburgward1@aol. View Post
I have a word of caution. I found that stepping on to a segway should be a 3 step process. 1) with machine on put one foot lightly on the machine. Keep your weight on the other foot. You will feel that the segway wants to go forward/backward depending on the position of the handle bar. 2) adjust the handle bar slightly forward/back until segway does not want to move ahead or backward. 3) bring other foot onto segway. You should be upright, balanced, and not moving. You are now ready to push handle bar forward and start gliding.

I was using the first generation segway, an I167. Yours may be newer/better/smarter and may not have the problem I encountered.

I have only fallen on a Segway once. That was the first time I tried it. The handle bar was slightly back so the segway wanted to back up when I stepped on it. I was getting on in one motion so as I stepped forward the segway moved backward and ... well... let’s just say the two don’t make for a good combination. I was on grass so I didn;t get hurt (except my pride)
Thanks for the helpful hint.We will be doing a Segway tour in Fort Lauderdale next week.It will be my first time stepping onto a Segway.If all goes well I will be buying a new PT X2.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
plumber802

5 yr Member

I did have the opportunity to try the X2 but decided to go with the i2 SE with Urban Master tires.The X2 is a BEAST.Big and noisy.

Last edited by plumber802; 02-01-2018 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Good choice

I think you will be very happy with your choice, as optioned.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
plumber802

5 yr Member

I received my new 2018 i2SE from Rick at Segway of Corvallis.Probably one of the smoothest online transactions I have ever had.Rick kept me informed every step of the way and even called after it was delivered to make sure I was happy.
I have been practicing gliding around in my basement since we still have snow up here in Vermont.I'm still perfecting my mount/dismount technique.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber802 View Post
I received my new 2018 i2SE from Rick at Segway of Corvallis.Probably one of the smoothest online transactions I have ever had.Rick kept me informed every step of the way and even called after it was delivered to make sure I was happy.
I have been practicing gliding around in my basement since we still have snow up here in Vermont.I'm still perfecting my mount/dismount technique.
Congratulations! You’re going to love it. I’m eternally thankful that mine is not a necessity but “just” recreational - but practicing is still smart nonetheless. I’ve been chomping at the bit to get out; we had a 60 degree day earlier in the week so I managed to get a 5 mile ride in. Then, last night, we got 8” of snow. By Weds this week, it’ll be 72 degrees. Bizarre weather patterns!

Anywho - you’re going to just love this thing; be prepared for stares and questions though!
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
russ498
russ498 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Rick is the best. I bought two machines from him. I started with an X2 but sold it and got an I2. The X2 was just too big for indoor use. I use mine as a mobility device and I spend at least half my time inside with it.
russ498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
plumber802

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
Congratulations! You’re going to love it. I’m eternally thankful that mine is not a necessity but “just” recreational - but practicing is still smart nonetheless. I’ve been chomping at the bit to get out; we had a 60 degree day earlier in the week so I managed to get a 5 mile ride in. Then, last night, we got 8” of snow. By Weds this week, it’ll be 72 degrees. Bizarre weather patterns!

Anywho - you’re going to just love this thing; be prepared for stares and questions though!
It's all new to me at this point.I honestly don't know what to expect.It was such a large investment and I hope I am happy with my choice.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
plumber802

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ498 View Post
Rick is the best. I bought two machines from him. I started with an X2 but sold it and got an I2. The X2 was just too big for indoor use. I use mine as a mobility device and I spend at least half my time inside with it.
Hi Russ.I'm getting more comfortable with the mount/dismount of my Segway.Just need some warm dry weather.