SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member
Default Sitting vs. standing.

I recently got my first Segway (after being a member of this forum for nearly 13 years.) It is an i2 that came equipped with a SegSaddle. I am partially paralyzed, and the Segway actually works VERY well as an adaptive device for me. It's nice to actually feel "graceful" for a change. I can handle my wheelchair very well, but it's still just a wheelchair. When on my feet, my gait is usually referred to as "The Frankenstein."

Anyway, while taking my Segway out for its test-ride (nine miles), I decided to make a stop in the grocery store. As I was getting closer, I wondered if I should sit or stand when I go inside. I decided that sitting would be a little more "subtle" and less likely to draw attention. I actually felt like I controlled the machine better while sitting, and it seemed that many people didn't even notice me. I just moved about at a slow walking pace. At that speed, there's very little gear noise. No one gave me any trouble or asked what I was doing riding it in the store.

If I were standing, it may've been an identical experience. No idea. However, my intuition led me to believe that I would've been a lot more noticeable. Instead of being just a little shorter than everyone (while seated), I would've been taller than everyone. It seemed like the corners of people's eyes would've noticed some "tall, levitating guy" moving around the store. I was also worried that it would've seemed a bit more intimidating if I were standing up.

Has anyone noticed much difference in reaction when standing vs. sitting? I ride handcycles as well as bicycles. The way that people interact with me on my handcycle is night and day difference than when I'm on a bicycle. On the handcycle, people driving cars are courteous and patient. When I'm on a bicycle, it's almost as though they WANT to put my life in danger. Essentially, I'm doing the same thing in the same place, but the configuration is a little different. Yet, the reactions from people are at opposite ends of the spectrum. It made me wonder if that's also common for Segway users that go between sitting and standing. Has anyone experienced differences between the two modes?
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
I recently got my first Segway (after being a member of this forum for nearly 13 years.) It is an i2 that came equipped with a SegSaddle. I am partially paralyzed, and the Segway actually works VERY well as an adaptive device for me. It's nice to actually feel "graceful" for a change. I can handle my wheelchair very well, but it's still just a wheelchair. When on my feet, my gait is usually referred to as "The Frankenstein."

Anyway, while taking my Segway out for its test-ride (nine miles), I decided to make a stop in the grocery store. As I was getting closer, I wondered if I should sit or stand when I go inside. I decided that sitting would be a little more "subtle" and less likely to draw attention. I actually felt like I controlled the machine better while sitting, and it seemed that many people didn't even notice me. I just moved about at a slow walking pace. At that speed, there's very little gear noise. No one gave me any trouble or asked what I was doing riding it in the store.

If I were standing, it may've been an identical experience. No idea. However, my intuition led me to believe that I would've been a lot more noticeable. Instead of being just a little shorter than everyone (while seated), I would've been taller than everyone. It seemed like the corners of people's eyes would've noticed some "tall, levitating guy" moving around the store. I was also worried that it would've seemed a bit more intimidating if I were standing up.

Has anyone noticed much difference in reaction when standing vs. sitting? I ride handcycles as well as bicycles. The way that people interact with me on my handcycle is night and day difference than when I'm on a bicycle. On the handcycle, people driving cars are courteous and patient. When I'm on a bicycle, it's almost as though they WANT to put my life in danger. Essentially, I'm doing the same thing in the same place, but the configuration is a little different. Yet, the reactions from people are at opposite ends of the spectrum. It made me wonder if that's also common for Segway users that go between sitting and standing. Has anyone experienced differences between the two modes?

The difference in people's reactions to seeing you sitting vice standing when gliding is stark and in my experiences widespread and universal. If you are sitting, they assume you need it for mobility assistance, if you are standing, they dont automatically assume that, they may draw the conclusion, they may think you are riding a toy and confront you about it use.

I have 2 segs, both with seats as I only glide sitting except I personally need to stand up to restore the circulation in my legs on occasion. I really like the SegSaddle, unfortunately its not made anymore. Brian Huges, the owner, folded the company after enough work. Its a shame, its a great product. I am always on the lookout for spare SegSaddle parts of it any are left in stock. Be wary of a company called "Strollax" (Strollax.com) they claim to have them left over in stock, I am still in a battle with PayPal trying to get my money back from them. Segway of Fl has a new product called the "Glide Seat" which looks somewhat similar to the SegSaddle, I am holding out hope that its a functional replacement. I have a LeanSeat on my other Seg, as I couldnt get any more SegSaddles, its not as comfortable for me.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #3
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
The difference in people's reactions to seeing you sitting vice standing when gliding is stark and in my experiences widespread and universal. If you are sitting, they assume you need it for mobility assistance, if you are standing, they dont automatically assume that, they may draw the conclusion, they may think you are riding a toy and confront you about it use.

I have 2 segs, both with seats as I only glide sitting except I personally need to stand up to restore the circulation in my legs on occasion. I really like the SegSaddle, unfortunately its not made anymore. Brian Huges, the owner, folded the company after enough work. Its a shame, its a great product. I am always on the lookout for spare SegSaddle parts of it any are left in stock. Be wary of a company called "Strollax" (Strollax.com) they claim to have them left over in stock, I am still in a battle with PayPal trying to get my money back from them. Segway of Fl has a new product called the "Glide Seat" which looks somewhat similar to the SegSaddle, I am holding out hope that its a functional replacement. I have a LeanSeat on my other Seg, as I couldnt get any more SegSaddles, its not as comfortable for me.

I really like this SegSaddle. I feel fortunate that it came along with my machine and seems to be in great shape. Do you think Mr. Hughes might be willing to share the designs and plans for the SegSaddles? I have a small machine shop at home. Perhaps I might be able to make replacement parts for people that want to keep using the SegSaddles. In looking at it, it's actually a pretty complex component. It's not surprising that he wasn't able to keep producing them (at a profit margin that made it worth it.) It looks as though it were designed from the ground up right along with the machine. Very well integrated.

It's not surprising that people draw very different conclusions when they see someone sitting vs. standing on a Segway. Even though this was my first day gliding, I had a nagging suspicion that it would often be the case. If I'm ever in a place where I'm worried that someone might harass me, I'll just make sure I stay seated. Even though it qualifies as adaptive equipment, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of trying to explain it to someone. Although, I'm sure it's bound to happen at some point.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #4
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
I really like this SegSaddle. I feel fortunate that it came along with my machine and seems to be in great shape. Do you think Mr. Hughes might be willing to share the designs and plans for the SegSaddles? I have a small machine shop at home. Perhaps I might be able to make replacement parts for people that want to keep using the SegSaddles. In looking at it, it's actually a pretty complex component. It's not surprising that he wasn't able to keep producing them (at a profit margin that made it worth it.) It looks as though it were designed from the ground up right along with the machine. Very well integrated.

It's not surprising that people draw very different conclusions when they see someone sitting vs. standing on a Segway. Even though this was my first day gliding, I had a nagging suspicion that it would often be the case. If I'm ever in a place where I'm worried that someone might harass me, I'll just make sure I stay seated. Even though it qualifies as adaptive equipment, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of trying to explain it to someone. Although, I'm sure it's bound to happen at some point.

I have exactly the same atitude and it works well. Once I follow that, I am never questioned anymore, and its just one less hassle in your daily routine.

The only part that wears out in my experience is a small plastic cam, A 3d printer could make it easily, you could machine it out of Aluminum or similar and it would last forever, that would be fantastic. I tried very hard to get extra parts when they closed, Brian Hughes was good enough to stay in business long enough to fabricate my Segsaddle, it is one of the last one's made. I believe he had a family illness ( mother if I recall corrrectly) that he needed to devote more time to, so that is why he stopped the business. He was (is) a great guy and I wish him all the best. If you look at the side of the SegSaddle, you will see two horizontal aluminum rocker bars. If you look behind the bottom one, you can see the gray plastic triangular shaped piece that engages a rocker behind the flat aluminum plate the pushes down and engages the foot sensors. That is the only thing that wears out, that lower plastic piece. It wears down and it wont push the alumium plate down far enough to engage the foot sensors eventually. If you take off that flat aluminum plate (remove the screw at the top of it with the plastic bushing and just slide the plate over the oversized opening of the other screw heads, you can get right to the part I am talking about. If you can find a way to fabricate that little piece, your SegSaddle will last and last. I have had 2 now, over 8 years, and the rocker wore out on 1, and is getting thinner on the other. If you find a way to do this, please broadcast it, as it would make our SegSaddles last and I would be eternally greatful.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post

standing works fine for me most places are very accommodating i wear my ca blue disabled tag around my neck usually i think its more authenticating than a series of long discussions i lean my x2 because of a stroke im mostly on one leg i still go off curbs when i have to with my wide tires i can get into most places i can ride right to my table in most restaurants my wheels squeak sometimes when squeezing through
i have one suitcase mounted and two cargo carriers with the big fatty knobby tiresi originally bought a segsaddle because i couldnt stand
i decided not to mount it i didnt like the bicycle style seat .once people see how slow and carefu and polite thatl i ride they give me no trouble im ready with my blank doj ada complaint form i had to showthe eureka ca costco manager where his name would go on my complaint form - he was afraid "everyone" would want to glide in" ha hahe should be so lucky
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
...once people see how slow and carefu and polite thatl i ride they give me no trouble...
I think this is also key. When moving along at a slower-than-walking pace that is completely controlled and "predictable," I think that people don't even worry or notice. I have yet to take the Segway into a couple of my regular stops, but I don't think people will be bothered by the fact that I'm moving along at 1 mph.