SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:27 AM   #1
Neelix
Neelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Default Idea for dynamic stabilization technology

My uncle came over this evening, and I showed him Dhugger's Segway movie, and he was quite impressed with the technology that is inside the Segway. I told him that it was based on the technology that the IBOT uses to get up and down stairs, and to balance on two wheels and he said, "Well, why don't they make something like a Segway that can go up and down stairs. It would be good for firefighters in tall buildings, so they aren't tired when they get to the top."

You know the patent drawing that shows the "cluster" wheeled Segway? Perhaps that sort of design could be used for this very purpose.

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:17 AM   #2
Blinky
Blinky

5 yr Member

Its not a bod idea neelix, but unfortunately if you noticed the current speed of the Ibot going up those stairs, it would not be of any use.

If they can create a model which carries the firefighters equipment that can equal the speed of a firefighter going up those stairs, I could see it happening.

The technology is there, but not the speed/quickness.

but who knows, maybe the design of the Ibot is holding back on its stair climbing potential. Maybe IT is possible.

Good idea!

Old 05-12-2003, 05:07 AM   #3
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

It's a concept that has been discussed before, going back to old TIQ days, though I don't recall specifically in conjuncton with use by firefighters.

At this point I would imagine that the issues of safety (possible backward falls) and market size (demand) are greater than the question of technical possibility.

. . SegCenter.com . .
StirlingInfo StirlingChat
Old 05-12-2003, 05:09 AM   #4
stevew
stevew is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

The Ibot stairclimbing mode requires the user to guide the machine up-down stairs by pulling against the handrail, much as we guide our HTs by leaning. What is missing is a truly autonomous 'bot that guides its way up/down stairs by sight, touch or some other means. I'm sure Dean etal tried more intelligent/self guided approaches but found them unpredictable and not ready for prime time. As a result Ibot requires upper body strength/agility that prevents upper body disabled folks from using these features. As always there is still room for innovation and improvement.